“Portobellos Disappointment” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Portobello

Portobello
1650 E Buena Vista Dr, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830, Downtown Disney, Orlando, FL 32830
+1 407-934-8888
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #837 of 3,167 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Description: The menu at Portobello was born in the bounty and harvest of the Italian countryside. Celebrating the simplest flavors of Italy; crusty breads, sun-ripened tomatoes, house-cured meats, freshly caught fish, fruity olive oils and sharp, pungent cheeses.
Minnesnowta
“Portobellos Disappointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

An interesting building filled with mediocrity to subp1ar food. Attentive service could not rescue an unsatisfactory dinner.

• Hebrew first
Perth
“Over priced and lazy service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

We went back to Portobello after an excellent meal about 3 years ago. On entering the restaurant there were two girls on the front desk deep in conversation, eventually I interrupted them to see if there was a table for four. We were told that there was but the wait would be 15 -20 mins, we were amazed because the restaurant had numerous empty tables.
Upon being seated we ordered and waited 30 mins for the food to arrive, our drinks remained unfilled. Eventually the food arrived, pumpkin soup which was so sweet it was inedible, I sent it back. So we move on the to the main course penne pasta with chicken. mine came out dry and with hardly any chicken, my husbands meal was swimming in cream and large amounts of chicken. I left mine uneaten as the chicken tasted funny, my husband ate his. We asked for the bill immediately, waited another twenty mins, during this our kids were becoming impatient, so I wentt outside while my husband paid the bill, he asked to speak to a manager to be told there was none available, so he wrote BAD FOOD on the receipt.
We left and within twenty mins my husband was violently ill, ran to the nearest toilet. Next day we ring them to let them know of our experience and requested our money back, over the next 5 days we got interrogated and told that it couldn't have been their food, they couldn't do anything until a "Full investigation" had occurred. The result of that investigation-no surprises- that they could not find any problem!!! and no one ever complains!! Eventually my husband rang to be told that they wanted us to have a meal with them "on the house", we declined and they told us very unwillingly they would return our money. We are still waiting........
This place has gone down in every area, our meal three years ago was the highlight of our trip, attentive waitstaff excellent food, expensive BUt worth it!1 NOT ANYMORE!!!! STAY AWAY!!! you'd get better service at Denny's.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Holmdel NJ/Ft Myers FL
“do not go here....ever....loud, poor food quality, lousy atmosphere and over-priced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

We had booked the reservation for dinner at 8:10PM at Portobello since we were getting out of Cirque du Soleil and this was a recommended restaurant from the Disney/Cirque staff.

To start we had 8:10 ‘reservations’. When we arrived at the restaurant at 8:05 we were handed a pager and told that the wait was 10-20 minutes. When I inquired about the reservation I was told that it was for a priority seating not a reservation. This was never communicated when we made the reservation as we would not have planned our dinner with this type of arrangement.

We were seated at 8:35 next to the kitchen. This is an extremely loud restaurant and the seating makes it impossible to hear any dinner conversation. I s/w the manager Jennifer and requested to be moved and also let her know about the reservations. She thanked me for my ‘feedback/input’ and moved us to a quieter table. Clearly she was not going to make or change policy nor communicate to the reservations staff that they should inform patrons that these are indeed not reservations.

Upon being served dessert by William (our server) we noticed green objects on the chocolate gelato. When I showed this to him he stated that the bus boy also served the salad and that is probably what was in there...he credited this off of the bill. It was not salad ... I am not sure what it was.

The meal -
The Mahi Mahi was lukewarm and the polenta cool..the pizzas were mediocre as was the rest of the meal.

We are FL residents and do bring our youngest to Disney upon occasion. However we typically eat off off property or at Wolfgang Pucks. This experience was really poor and reinforces the lack of quality and the tourist (lack of quality and service) mentality at Disney.

I have emailed the restaurant and received a response back that this was not acceptable to them and a request for my home address...to receive a letter of some sort...nice idea to respond, but if the manager was is truly a manager they should have been attentive, addressed the seating, food quality etc.

In short do not go here....ever....loud, poor food quality, lousy atmosphere and over-priced .

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington Heights
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

Had Thanksgiving dinner with my family of six. The food was great and service was wonderful. No complaints. A perfect meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wisconsin
“Average food, expensive prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

This restaurant was okay, but not as good as we were expecting, and a bit overpriced we thought. We both ordered a pasta dish, some of the cheapest things on the menu (one with shrimp and one with no meat at all) and one drink each, no appetizer, no dessert, and the meal came with no salad or soup, and the bill after a tip came to $75, but in their defense they did have the menu posted outside with prices and we still choose to eat there so can’t really complain too much. The portions were not huge, but enough to fill us and leave me with a bit of leftovers. The food was not great, but it wasn’t bad, I would rate it good or average. The atmosphere was more elegant and romantic and the service was excellent. Somewhere I probably would not recommend for kids since there seem to be more fun places to eat in DTD, but we did see a few families with kids there. We probably would not visit this place again due to the fact that it was expensive and there are other restaurants in DTD that we would like to try

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere