“Way too much food; too expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Melting Pot

The Melting Pot
W. Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32819-5019 (Doctor Phillips)
407-903-1100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 3,180 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Fondue
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Doctor Phillips
Cross street: Dr. Phillips Blvd.
Orlando, Florida
“Way too much food; too expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I forget why we went to The Melting Pot; but, I believe we had a special offer of $34.95. for a four-course meal, including a cheese fondue, a salad course, a meat fondue; and, a dessert fondue. It sounded too good to pass up!

We arrived early, for a 7:00 PM reservation; but, were seated immediately. The dining room is well-appointed, very upscale; and, very intimate. The tables are equipped with high-tech induction cookware (which predates the NuWave PIC.) My mother, my wife and I all ordered cocktails, prior to the 1st course; all of which were outstanding; but, pricey at nearly $15 each.

The cheese course is what I remember most about The Melting Pot. It's been more than 20 years since my wife and I had our rehearsal dinner at The Melting Pot in Clearwater (don't think it's still there). It was a memorable meal, with a wonderful champagne from Condorniue. Then, as now, the bread and crudite we excellently paired with the rich, creamy white wine and cheese mixture. Service was outstanding, with a knowledgeable and friendly staff.

During the salad course, a manager came by to help with clearing plates, check on our progress; and, to make an offer to refill the drinks. One or two of us opted for wine with dinner; and, the other another cocktail.

The meat course included steak, checken, and shrimp, as well as vegetable accoutrements. All of the items were; and, tasted great... considering, we got to cook it! With my mother's advanced age, my wife and I pulled double-duty cooking for her, as well as ourselves.

Truth be told, we could not finish what was served; we were too full of cheese and salad by this point... and, dessert still beckoned. As a result, dessert mostly went home in a box, with the fondue mixture in a sealed container, along with pieces of fruit, cakes, and marshmallows... we did sample a few items; and, the milk chocolate/peanut butter mixture was superb!

With drinks, the entire meal, and gratuity, the final bill was closer to $75 per-person, which is just too expensive to make this a regular dining destination. Special occasions -- YES!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mark C, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hello There,
My name is Mark Conway, I'm the owner of The Melting Pot in Orlando, FL. Thank you very much for the very detailed and honest review! I use tripadvisor.com when I make my dining decisions and I like reading reviews like yours.

I did want to inquire about a few of the details that you mentioned in your review though. you stated that our cocktails are $15 each. I glanced at your images and say that you ordered a 'swanky doll' and a 'ginger posmo' which are 5.95 and 7.95 each. I just want to make sure we charged you the correct amount. If you want to give me a call, I can pull up your receipt and issue a refund if you give me more details about your visit.

Please ask for me, Mark on your next visit or when you call!

Thanks again,

Amarillo, Texas
“Great service, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time eating at The Melting Pot...first time in Orlando. We had a reservation for 7pm and got there early and were immediately seated. Colin was our waiter and he was amazing! Very engaging and knowledgeable about the menu. We were there on our honeymoon and he brought us a champagne toast. The manager also came by several times to ask about our meal. Everything was superb!! Thank you Colin and Tom!!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mark C, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Hello Jamie!

My name is Mark Conway, I'm the owner of the Melting Pot in Orlando. Thank you for the great review! I shared your kind words about Colin and Tom with the staff. We hope to see you again when you visit Orlando!

Fonduely yours,

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great food even better wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Very impressive wine list with a very knowledgable & engaging manager. Food was great and every staff member was friendly, professional & fun.

Mark C, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Hi There,
Thanks for the great review! We love wine here. Any time you want to step into the wine room to select a bottle, just let us know!

Thanks again and happy holidays.

Orlando, Florida
“Not very impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

My husband and I went there to check out what the restaurant is about. We had really good drinks and service at the bar. The atmosphere is cozy and romantic throughout the restaurant and the service is very good. We particularly did not like Foundue and therefore we probably will not go back. It was expensive for the quantity and the food is, well, obviously raw for you to cook. Not our type of restaurant. We like gourmet, deliciously prepared foods. But I understand it can be an entertaining experience, specially for new dates who want to have a longer dinner and time to talk and won't eat much ( you know what I mean!)

Visited September 2013
Mark C, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hi Cris!

Thank you for your review of the Melting Pot and you kind words about he service and atmosphere! We understand that this style of dining isn't for everyone but we appreciate that you at least gave us a shot. Maybe we will see you at our bar again though, we have drinks specials that change every month!

Owner of the Melting Pot in Orlando
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Wow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

From the moment you enter this wonderful restaurant, you notice a cozy atmosphere. Most tables are suited for four persons. If you like fondue then you'll be in heaven. From the classical Swiss Alps cheese fondue to the Bourguignon classic French style meat and seafood fondue you will be amazed. The owners are a young couple dedicated to make your experience unique. All servers are wonderful in particular Jacob who has a wonderful sense of humor. I highly recommend this for fondue lovers.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mark C, Owner at The Melting Pot, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hello Roy!

Thank you for your great review! Jacob was excited to see his name mentioned. Melting Pot tip: The next time you call to make a reservation and have four guests, ask for one of our 2-burner tables! Usually we reserve them for parties of 5 or larger, but we always try to accommodate your requests when we can. Two burner tables are great, you get two cheeses, two cooking styles and most importantly, two chocolate fondues.

Thank you again for you review!

-Mark Conway