“Gourmet food, an excellent choice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 3,095 restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Jiko – The Cooking Place fuses the bold flavors of traditional African, Indian and Mediterranean cuisine at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.Twin wood-burning ovens roar and the soothing, warm colors of an African sunset bring energy to this remarkable restaurant. The menu features modern cuisine with an African flair. Delight your palate with dishes that change seasonally, such as braised short ribs, Chermoula-roasted prawns, and Peri Peri roasted chicken, along with conventional favorites. Take a culinary tour of Africa with tantalizing appetizers such as grilled wild boar tenderloin, crispy beef bobotie roll and brick oven-fired flatbreads. Watch the chefs prepare each meal in The Cooking Place, a show kitchen with a rich atmosphere befitting the beauty of this unique restaurant. Jiko also offers 2 tantalizing wine-and-dine experiences: Jiko Wine Dinner Series: Four times a year, Jiko partners with renowned winemakers from South Africa to take you on a culinary journey. The chefs prepare a 6- to 8-course meal carefully designed to complement the unique characteristics of the African terroir. As you dine, the winemakers paint a picture of their vineyards through the taste of their wines—and Jiko's Wine Room transforms into a mixture of flavors, friends, aromas and conversations that go into the night.Jiko Wine Tastings: Every Wednesday, explore the South African wine regions as you taste unique wines paired with artisanal cheese.Whether you're seeking a decadent wine dinner or a vibrant accompaniment to your meal, Jiko offers wine options to suit your style.
Massapequa, New York, United States
“Gourmet food, an excellent choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is an outstanding restaurant. Service was lovely, not rushed. Our waiter was extremely helpful. Before we even started, we were served a special selection from the chef - a surprise and very tasty. The south African wine list was quite extensive and many were very affordable. Pepper Pot was our choice. We began with a cheese board - an appetizer that is so rarely served but which is so wonderful when it is. 4 cheeses with extras - very much enjoyed. All the entrees looked tasty. We had monkfish, duck, and chicken. All were very much enjoyed with the duck possibly leading the race. The children's menu was fine was as well. Dessert was very enjoyable as well. Let me tell you - Jiko makes one of the best cups of cappucinno ever!
We did not worry about the dress code - we dressed nicely but not elaborately and that was just fine. Not stuffy, just nice. We count this as one of our premier dining experiences on our trip and we will most definitely make eating here a tradition.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

88% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My Favorite Restaurant in Disney”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Beautiful restaurant, SPECTACULAR food, great wine. I ate here about two months after returning from a trip to South Africa and found the food to be wildly authentic and as good if not better than anything I ate in Africa. Try the wild boar and the bobotie.

Visited October 2012
Massapequa, New York
“Very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We started with the cauliflower flatbread and the boar appetizer. Very unique flavors. We followed up with the monkfish and shortrib. Both were extremely flavorful. Even the kids meals were above average(according to my girls)-steak and flat bread cheese pizza. Dessert was just as tasty. Service and wine selection were also great. Definitely will go again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Mostly terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

To be fair, the service was very good. Now the bad part, beyond the overpriced appetizers, the food was absoutely horrific. We had a party of four and tried three different dishes (vegetarian, the duck and the monkfish) and all but the duck was inedible. I am serious in how bad the food tasted it was either overcooked or seasoned improperly or both. I am not a food snob but eat out often due to my business travel and i would never go back. Keep in mind the entrees are around 40 dollars a piece so i would expect something beyond fair food and this didnt even make it to fair.
Go somewhere else even if you are on the dining plan since they use two credits each for this place.

Visited July 2013
Collegeville
“Very Nice...on another day, this could have been five stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This may be the best restaurant on any Disney Property in Orlando. It mostly lived up to the many good reviews I had read. Nice decor. Good staff. Excellent food.

The flatbreads were incredible. I highly recommend as an appetizer. I got the duck as my main dish and as it was very tasty, it was a bit tough which put a bit of a damper on this meal. On another day, I may have given this restaurant five out of five, but I can't ignore this duck issue. It wasn't terrible at all. Just not excellent.

Jiko also has a very fine wine list. One of the best I've seen at any Disney restaurant. In general, I find most Disney restaurants overpriced and mostly mediocre. Not Jiko. This is a real exception, alongside of Boma, the African buffet right next door at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Oh yes, did I mention what an awesome hotel the Animal Kingdom Lodge is? If you're not staying there, go and see it and check out one of these two restaurants. Oh, and one more thing. I got in both of these restaurants over the last week in June, usually a very busy week, without reservations. I can't always plan my day out well enough to meet a tight reservation deadline during a short trip to Disney. This whole thing about needing a reservation might be true, but not all of the time.

Beanzalo Meter: a very conservative 8 out of 10. Might be a 9 on another day.

• Visited June 2013