“It didn't wow me!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of MoonFish

MoonFish
7525 W. Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32819 (Doctor Phillips)
+1 407-363-7262
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
MoonFish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 3,175 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Doctor Phillips
Cross street: The Fountains Plaza at Dr Phillips
Description: MoonFish, rated as one of the Top Ten Seafood Restaurants in America, serves the "Freshest Seafood from the Oceans of Planet Earth" with 10-13 species of fresh fish flown in daily from all over the world. In addition to fish-fusion cuisine, MoonFish features mid-western aged steaks cooked over a natural wood-burning pit, a sushi bar creating the freshest and most uniquely presented sushi and an award winning wine list. The vibrant atmosphere combines modern art and ingenuity along with a Pacific flair to stimulate the senses.
Tampa, Florida
“It didn't wow me!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Good food, good service, just not great. I have higher expectations for fine dining! The quality of seafood was excellent and the desserts were to die for.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
Orlando, Florida
“Typical Orlando Hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had been hearing a buzz about Moonfish since moving to Orlando. So I took a guest for dinner there on a Tuesday evening. From the outside the restaurant looked nice. You walk in and the giant fish tank behind the bar was a nice touch. We were seated in a very large room which became extremely loud by 7pm. The menu looked impressive but I was extremely disappointed when the food started to show up. For openers the mixed drinks were watered down, the oysters were bland and rather ordinary. I had the crusted tuna and my guest had the sea bass. Both portions were very small with goop all over the plate. Some sort of sauce I guess! The tuna was stringy and very poor grade. The sea bass looked ok but was way overcooked. The desert tray looked great from a distance but when we tasted our selections they were soggy and hyper sweet. Two bites and we were done. Coffee was served cold and when I requested it be replaced ..I got more cold coffee...Hyper expensive and over rated!!! Save your money!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Saint Cloud, Florida
“Happy Hour Was Happy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Experienced an enjoyable Happy Hour at MoonFish with friends! Kristopher was our server who couldn't have been more accommodating. His recommendations were spot on, and we will return again. All the food was superb, and the Happy Hour prices can't be beat!

New Orleans, LA
“2 Happy Hours and 2 dinners in One Week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

For the first time in 30 years of traveling together, we actually dined at one restaurant more than one time during our vacation. Everyone from the hostess and manager who greeted us (and actually remembered we had been there several days before) to the wait staff was very helpful and friendly. Thanks Frank, Jenny, and Kristopher for your menu suggestions and great service. We enjoyed the Thai red curry mussels twice and tried different sushi items during Happy Hours. During dinners we enjoyed two different seafood dishes, grouper and Chilean sea bass, the first time and then shared a steak specialty the last night. We are looking forward to our next trip to Orlando. Needless to say, our first dining experience will be Moon Fish.

Olching, Germany
“Fantastic food, good service,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

First things first, the entree I ate at the MoonFish, sea bass, was probably one of the best dishes I ever ate. I also was lucky enough to help a colleague with his gigantic ribeye steak after finishing my fish, and it was also incredible, so were the mashed potatos and the green beans.

We ate at the restaurant with a group of eight people. The place looks nice, but the downside is that it consits mainly of one large dining room that is very noisy. It was very difficult to talk to each other and sometimes I could hear the conversation of the people sitting at the table behind me better than the person sitting across from me. The acoustics reminded me of a large college dining hall or cafeteria and are not really suited for a business dinner or a romantic dinner. When the waiter told us about the nights special, he almost had to yell to be heard by everyone at the table. I also found that the information giving by the waiter concerning the specials was too much.

As I said the entrees were amazing. The starters I tried, we had several to share, were ok, but nothing special. Crab cakes of this quality can be found at many other places for less money. I also found that the sauce that was served with the king crab was very unfitting. It was very heavy on mustard and drowned out all of the crab's natural taste, even if onleya small amount of the sauce was used. I opted for lemon instead of the sauce and found it a much better choice.

As mentioned above, the entrees were penomenal and considering that, the prices for them were adequate. The starters were ok, service was good, but the atmosphere hurt the dining experience.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere