“An unusual lack of common sense.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of MoonFish

MoonFish
7525 W. Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32819 (Doctor Phillips)
+1 407-363-7262
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
MoonFish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 3,000 Restaurants in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, Sushi
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Doctor Phillips
Cross street: The Fountains Plaza at Dr Phillips
Description: MoonFish, rated as one of the Top Ten Seafood Restaurants in America, serves the "Freshest Seafood from the Oceans of Planet Earth" with 10-13 species of fresh fish flown in daily from all over the world. In addition to fish-fusion cuisine, MoonFish features mid-western aged steaks cooked over a natural wood-burning pit, a sushi bar creating the freshest and most uniquely presented sushi and an award winning wine list. The vibrant atmosphere combines modern art and ingenuity along with a Pacific flair to stimulate the senses.
Orlando, Florida
“An unusual lack of common sense.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Tonight. I was hoping to celebrate my 3rd anniversary. My partner and I were looking for a casual-nice restaurant and as a concierge I knew the perfect place. Moonfish. I do hold talk of the town restaurants in high regard, I've sent a ton of my guests their way, and for the most part, people are satisfied with the product.

In our rush to get out the door, my boyfriend threw on a sleeveless, albeit nice, shirt. Not an undershirt. Not a 'cut off' shirt. A perfectly Floridian sleeveless shirt. When we arrived before even asking for my name the hostess was kind enough to say that she could not seat us. Why? A sleeveless shirt.

So, I tried to explain that it was our anniversary and we lived 40 minutes away to deaf unsympathetic ears. But, she did offer a solution. "You can wear one of our t-shirts"

Unbelievable idea!!! Incredible solution!!!

So, I can embarrass my partner on our anniversary why everyone in the restaurant smirks in our general direction. Fantastic. So, we promptly walked out. On our way out of the parking lot, I looked over to my partner and said "wait let me go talk to a manager."

I was intent on salvaging the night and giving Moonfish a chance to really impress me. I asked to speak with a manager and again I tried to explain the situation. We live 40 minutes away, it's 5PM on a Saturday night where are we going to get a reservation? It's my anniversary. I even tried to pull the concierge card.

This manager looks me in the face and says "it's our policy." And to add to his unusual lack of common sense he gives the same solution as the hostess! "We are willing to provide you with one of our t-shirts"

I understand upholding a dress code. It helps with the atmosphere. However, in hospitality there are no rules that are set in stone, every situation should be treated individually.

My partner and I are back home now eating pizza. Thanks Moonfish.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
SeafoodTOTT, Senior Operating Partner at MoonFish, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed your special day resulted in a poor experience. We are committed to our dress code to create the proper ambiance for all our guests. While I'm sure your shirt was very nice, we have to be very careful not to discriminate against someone in a cutoff shirt. Our policy is very flexible as we accept shorts, t-shirts, and sandals. I'm glad to hear that our manager was even willing to give you a t-shirt as a solution. I would be happy to discuss further.

407-617-8596
Seth Miller

• Polish first
Newnan, Ga.
“Started with a bang then fizzeled”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Our first time here. We were greeted and seated immediately then came a barrage of waiters and we thought we'd be well taken care of but it was down hill from there. We had to beg for someone to take our order and then we questioned the wisdom of it as the food was just average at best. Go to Ruth's Chris or Bone Fish next time.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I am in Orlando on business and just had one of the best meals I have ever eaten. My waitress, Carly, was incredible. She recommended the triggerfish and it was amazing. I really can't say enough about how much I loved this restaurant. Hope I make it back to Orlando soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great seafood experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Moonfish during our stay in the Orlando area. My husband had a whole snapper that he loved. My crab shrimp and scallop dish had a very flavorful sauce, although the shrimp were over cooked. The other diner with us had two tasty sushi rolls. The cheesy bread was awesome! Our waiter, Shaun, was very knowledgeable and provided excellent service.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“Pricey but delicious.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were part of a group of 9 people who dined at Moonfish and I was a little turned off by the waiter, who immediately asked us a few questions to basically determine if our group was dining on an expense account... Once he found out we were, he began to immediately up-sell everyone at every opportunity. Every person was pressed to upgrade to add lobster or an extra side or move up to a more expensive dish. He was almost obnoxious about it and made some of our guests feel like they made a bad choice for their meal by simply wanting a piece of fish with a basic side order... Not exactly what I would expect from a nice restaurant like Moonfish.
The positives were that everything that everyone ate was fantastic! The fish was fresh, well prepared, nice portions, and simply delicious. Everyone loved their meals. Our meals ranged from the catch of the day to sushi and even had one person order a steak. Everyone loved their meal.
The food is on the expensive side but it was worth it. I will go back!

Visited April 2013