“Das bier ist güt” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
“Das bier ist güt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Found this restaurant on Yelp while staying at a nearby restaurant. It had decent reviews on there so I talked my co-worker into going there. The atmosphere was filled with countless knick knacks accummulated through the years. The menu was in German and English with a good selection and variety. The prices seemed a little high for the amount of food received. Really the highlight was Ernie (owner) coming around and talking to every table. The food was average but his personality made up for it. I did not have the same problem with service that others have commented on here, with the exception of me trying to order my beer in German (instead of just saying 'black beer'). In Germany, they appreciate the effort of speaking their language.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Finally a German restaurant...BUT ...abit OVERPRICED”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Again on business, I drove pass this place and noticed it. Nice quaint Deutche platz. (German Place). Went back on a Wed. eve. Had Jagersnitzel, schnitzel and Red cabbage.
also I had a small german beer. Food was good. The redhead working there knew her stuff,
because she had worked there 20 years. BUT she was too quick...fast. Did not take much time at all. Not over concerned about thing. Maybe because they AUTOMATICLY add 15% tip on "for you". It is posted, and I dont have a big problem w/ that but maybe that does affect service !!??
Not bad service...they do the same in germany too. Tip added in, and the service was the same....i.e. OK.
I suppose my only real negative was the PRICES.
BREAD, The entree I mentioned , a very small slice of apple struddle, w/ tip..$36.
$5.75 for a small import, that should have been $4.25 Entree...was $ 17..should be $14, and dessert should have been 4$. So max food and drink $23. + 3.50 tip =26-28 $$.
NOT $36.

So I guess I DO NOT RECCOMMEND THIS PLACE UNLESS YOUR EMPLOYER IS PAYING THE BILL.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
San Antonio
“Authentic German food in a comfortable setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Very friendly service and authentic German food. We enjoyed schnitzel, spaetzle (spelling?), goulash, etc. A nice selection of German beers is also available. During the week, there is limited availability of certain dishes (apparently those that require advance prep). One dish we had hoped for was unavailable as only 2 had been prepared and were gone with the first table of patrons. Not a complaint and understandable but a word to the wise. We look forward to returning.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
VA
“Disapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had a very large party there and I was looking forward to it for over a week. Unfortunately I left there very unimpressed. We had chicken, ham, schnitzel, potato pancakes, roasted potatoes, fish and a bunch of other stuff. The schnitzel was what I was looking forward to the most and it was very very plain. Except for the pickled herring nothing had any flavor. Actually the dessert was incredible. I had black forest cake and my friends had something else that heheh said was excellent as well.

Nothing tasted bad but very little had any taste at all.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

My husband and I are in the car on the way home from this retaurant not even worthy of a failed "Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare" makeover. We are both smarting, both in stomach and spirit and our only wish at this point was that today were Sunday, as the Bauerne-Staube Authentic German Restaurant is closed every Sunday...Achtung.

• Visited May 2012