“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #63 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Manila, Philippines
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Love this hotel! I booked a 3 night stay here because i wanted a place inside universal that is affordable. I placed my booking even before this hotel opened thru booking.com. My family of 5 travelled halfway across the globe and got to the hotel at 7pm. There was a bit of confusion with my booking but the lady at the front desk was patient enough to get things sorted. The family suite is fantastic. I loved that there is a kitchen area with a fridge, coffee/tea maker and a microwave. The beds are comfortable and the divider is a nice touch. Wifi in our room at the 4th floor of the starlight building is good and strong. We were also near everything else, the lobby, the restaurant and the bus pick up points to universal. The pool and slide are wonderful! We had a great stay, in fact my kids claimed that it's the best place we stayed at in orlando. The early park admission is a much appreciated add on, especially because my kids are such fans of wwhop! The food at the food court is way better than I expected. The burgers are great!
The only downside I can think of is, I wish there were two bathrooms for more privacy instead of the single spacious one they provided. Plus, shuttle from the airport isn't free so I booked a pick up with murray hill transportation. The van pick up was prompt and way cheaper than the universal's airport shuttle. I paid 65$ for 5 people inclusive of a 15minute stop at publix supermarket.
Oh and one major plus, telephone check out was easy and hassle free!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

It was a fantastic price and fantastic place. Looked like you were back in the 50's. it is fairly new but staff did everything they could to accommodate. They need a few more food choice places as there was not a big variety and food was pricey. Pool was fantastic! up beat lively place for families. other minor inconvenience was the walk out pool rooms. yes you can walk out on the ground floor but there are shrubs and gardens between room and pool so you either walk thru or walk all the way around! all in all really great little place. definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Essex, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Nice resort. Still under construction. Great rooms. We had the suites. Very roomy. Still quite a walk away. We still prefer the other on premise hotels like hard rock . It just barely opened up so all is fairly new. Maybe it'll be better once the overpass us done.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've stayed at the other Universal hotels and wanted to give this one a try. Overall, the price was great, the hotel was new, clean, and has extremely nice pools. I had a family suite which was a large room at a great price. It was also comfortable and clean.

I liked the shuttle buses that alway appeared when you needed one. I do wish there was an easier way to walk to the resort (that doesn't involve running across a big road) because it is literally across the street.

The only real issue I had during my stay was that nothing was ever cooked well. In fact, the turkey I had on a sandwich at the bowling alley was almost frozen, and this was supposed to be a hot sandwich. I also had a panini on a separate occasion that had cold meat and bread but melted cheese. I don't even know how that happens. I'm sure things will get better once they work the kinks out.

Room Tip: There are several different buildings to choose from. The pools look really cool at night so I'...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Plano, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

In general, this place is what I'd hope for for the money. A nice pool area, with a really large pool, one water slide and a large sand beach. Visually, the place is very retro cool, lots of music piped in everywhere. Lifeguards at the pool. The main building houses the lobby, a bowling alley, big arcade, and a great workout area, including lots of clear space and mats for yoga, martial arts, etc. The breakfast cafeteria (also main building) was actually pretty reasonably priced. Plenty of secure parking. We liked the sliding door to separate the bedroom from the living area up front. Beds were good, though the pullout was typical pullout awful.

It can be a LONG walk to the front of the hotel and back. We were on the backside of the furthest unit ("Thunderbird") which meant we were literally across the street from Harry Potter. A shame one can't just walk across the street. We were on the third floor, and never noticed any road noise.

Getting back and forth to the park is a trip, as they have a shuttle bus stop set a ways from the lobby. So we had to walk over there, and wait for the next bus. They seem to be running pretty often, maybe every 10-15 minutes. They drop you at the usual drop area all the other non-Universal hotels use. It's maybe a mile walk or less if one wanted to do that instead. The buses are CLEARLY marked CBBR, so they are easy to spot as you are leaving the park, and indeed they have their own waiting area at the curb. Universal appears to be building a separate elevated pathway from the hotel to the gate, I assume for shuttles, though it appears to be months away from ready.

The front desk staff was very nice, caring and knowledgeable. We were warned that the cards might not work, they were having lots of issues with them, especially at the parking gates. And indeed, one of the three wouldn't work. When we arrived at our room, there was a half empty water bottle lying on the bed, with the pillows moved around like someone had been watching TV. Was there someone there? We looked around, no, called the front desk to see if someone else was also booked in the room, they said no. So it must have been someone on the housekeeping staff. Hmmmm.

Only half the hotel is open as of the day we were there, and hence the rest of the water attractions were also not open yet, including the lazy river. Might want to call and check on that.

The main reason to stay here is the early admission to get to Harry Potter stuff ahead of the mobs. That worked out very well, had only a ten minutes wait to ride, no problem. But even then, it IS a better than average experience, not just another generic hotel, good security, real lifeguards at the really large pool, and the price is not bad. We actually stayed here for three nights, as we had a wedding at Disney to attend. We only did one day at Universal, and we were pleased with the hotel in general. Heck of a lot cheaper than three days at a Disney resort.

Note there is one laundry room per building. We did not try them, but they never looked busy. And getting back onto I-4, or down the road to Walmart for shopping, was easy. We had purchased our Universal tickets online, and the hotel had three will call machines in the lobby, easy and quick to print out our tickets, WITH unlimited express. Bought a lanyard with waterproof case in the gift shop to hold the small (2"X4"?) ticket. At the other Universal hotels, they give you a wristband. As you have to purchase your express pass when staying at this hotel, might want to bring your own lanyard. The "Slitherin" one I got cost like $20.

Room Tip: I could not tell which would be bad rooms. I would imagine ground floor close to the pool would be n...
perry Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Our family of six recently stayed at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort in Orlando. We included me and the wife, along with 22, 20, 18, and 17 year old children. This is Universal's new moderate priced resort for families. Check in was very simple and quick. I do wish however you could have your tickets coded onto your room keys like you do at Disney resorts. You have to go to a separate Universal desk and print out your tickets.

The pool and water slide were very nice. On the Sunday when we arrived there was a DJ at the pool, and it was pretty crowded. If you go to the pool, you can get a virgin dacari for $3.50, which my daughter enjoyed. Also sodas at the pool bar are $3, BUT you get free refills for two hours, so it's really not that bad a deal. They also have free ice water cups at the pool bar. The rest of the week there wasn't much of a crowd. I would assume most people are at the parks during the day.

The rooms were fine, and had plenty of space. The bathroom area was nice in that there were more than one mirror/sink area. We enjoyed the pool, and the kids enjoyed the Starbucks as well. We really didn't eat at the food court but it looked nice.

I will say that where we stayed, it was a good walk to get on the buses to Universal. The buses ran very regular and we never waited more than a few minutes. Most of the time the buses were already there. The parking is $10, but I did not mind, as it is a secure parking area, and you have to have a key card to get in.

We did two days at Universal and then a day at Sea World. The parks were nice, and not super crowded. Most of the rides were less than 30 minutes. A few were an hour.

My wife and family were very pleased with the resort. I would return without a doubt. It was convenient with it's location. With my large crew in this hotel room, I would think any family of six would have no problem staying there.

Room Tip: Get a soda from the pool bar and it's free refills for 2 hours.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I loved everything about the Hotel. It reminds me of Howard Johnson in the 60's. very colorful. You never have to leave the hotel if you do not want to, there is plenty to do in the Hotel. The pool was great. They have dance parties, movie nights, I saw sand i bet they have Volley Ball .They have a Bowling Alley and Arcade. They have a movie room. The food value could be improved and there is a variety .There is a Starbucks(genius) and a gift shop. But the rooms are outside and you will get wet when it rains. They need to add covered walk ways to the rooms. The other reviewer was right about housekeeping, they need more training. We always had to get more towels, never enough wash cloths. What is the purpose of the guys out front if they are not helping with bags. (Full service like the old days) You need that help. The buses came every 15 minutes. I like the fact that they had someone standing there on the outside so you never had to run. Warned you before climbing on that there was standing room only, I liked that. The entire staff was friendly and very pleasant. They need to have a shuttle going to Walmart so you can get snacks and water. $2.50 for a bottle of water is pricey and you can not live without water in Florida. The land scape was very nice. It reminded me of Hawaii. I would recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the small kitchen area and living room. You get two TV's you will need it w...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!