“Awesome value and great amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6550 Adventure Way, Orlando, FL 32819 (Florida Center)   |
Ranked #58 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Sydney, Australia
“Awesome value and great amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We spent a week at the Cabana Bay Resort at the end of May. The price was hard to beat and the room designs were well thought out. Everything is new and clean. Staff are always highly visible cleaning around the resort - including the manager who was regularly out and about picking up bits of litter and straightening pillows etc. It was obvious that he had a lot of pride in the place.

The pool area is fantastic - a great size with plenty of available seating and no shortage of towels. There were 3 or more life guards on duty at all times. They were outstanding at their job - we saw them pluck 'distressed' swimmers from the pool (including adults) on 3 occasions. They were very vigilant and fast when needed.

We all enjoyed the food court for a lot of our meals. Very convenient and enough choice to keep us happy. Service was very slow (even when there were hardly any customers) and staff would struggle if you asked for any variation such as removing a potential ingredient for a pizza. Having said that, we received outstanding service on occasions when we were served by the young chef - Alex. Great customer service and pride in his cooking.

We were very pleased with the laundry facilities - they allowed us to frequently wash and dry our clothes with a very short turn-around time and at a reasonable cost.

The frequent bus service to and from Universal Studios Walk is fantastic. We even chose to stay at the Cabana Bay resort for the 2 days that we were going to be at Disney - the price (including the $50 taxi ride each way) still worked out more reasonable than other options that we looked at.

Given that the hotel is only new, you would expect some teething problems. Our only issues were very minor and involved other people's names and billing info appearing on our tv screen. Given that it took days to fix, we were concerned that all our info would appear on someone elses` tv screen. Also, housekeeping was disappointing. We would come back from the parks in the evening and sometimes the rooms hadn't been touched (despite numerous reminders to the front desk staff given that it was a regular occurance).

Overall - a great experience and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

If you like all things Retro this is the place for you!!! We loved the atmosphere--Mad Men era. After we registered I could not stop smiling...this place is GREAT!! The music, the sights, the cocktails at the Swizzle Lounge were delicious, Great Bartender. We didn't eat to many meals at the resort, but what we had was ok. Love the décor in the rooms. I wanted to stay and rent a suite for a month....alas work calls. The bus to & from Universal worked out fantastic! What a way to enjoy your vacation. Starbucks in the am on the way to the parks by bus and you sit back, relax and enjoy the ride(5 minutes to and from). I had an accident with the ketchup machine blasting me with ketchup(pressure was turned up to high--oops) they immediately offered to have my shirt dry cleaned and since it was the day we had to leave they offered us lunch by the pool and some Cabana Bay travel cups. We will be going back! This is the place for us!! All in all, this place is Swell! :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed 6/6/14-6/10/14. The standard rooms were not yet completed, so the booking deal was to get the family suite (sleeps 6) at the cost of the standard room. The room was very nice; it included a sitting room with TV, kitchenette with mini fridge, microwave, 2 single cup coffee maker, and came stocked with plenty of regular and decaf coffee, coffee condiments, and disposable plates, bowls, and plastic-ware. The beds were SUPER comfy, as were the pillows. There is an in room safe, vanity area with sink and drawers, toilet in a separate room, and shower in yet another separate room with its own sink as well. Staying at the resort gave us 1 hour early entry to Wizzarding World of Harry Potter, which was very helpful (our 4 night stay price included park to park passes for 3 days at Universal and Islands of Adventure). This resort does NOT give you "express pass" to the other rides, but honestly, with good planning, it was not needed. We rode EVERY ride at BOTH parks, and went back to our favorites multiple times, and never waited longer than 20 minutes. Planning is key - we were able to come back to our room in the heat of the day, and head back to the parks around 4pm as a lot of people were already leaving, making much shorter lines for the attractions. The hotel staff was superb, and the décor is very cute - every single thing was consistent with the retro theme. We didn't swim, but the pool looked awesome. A movie was shown outdoor every night, weather permitting, and there is a bowling area and arcade on property. Shuttles were provided to and from Citywalk, and we never had to wait for one. It seemed when one left, another arrived within minutes. Everything was VERY clean, and staff was very accommodating. I would DEFINITLY choose Cabana Bay again. When I priced all the resorts at Universal, I could stay 4 nights at Cabana Bay AND get my 3 day park to park pass for LESS than I could do 3 nights/2 day park to park pass at the other Universal resorts. Like I said, the only thing we missed out on was the "express pass" that the other resorts get, but if you plan well and can sometimes wait 20 minutes, you don't need it.

Room Tip: We had a view of the pool, it was really awesome! Other people say pool view rooms are loud and you...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana

Visited June 1, 2014-June5,2014

We absolutely loved our stay and hated to leave. We arrived at the lobby around 3 p.m. I only had to wait about five minutes to check in. Parking was easy and we found a spot rite away. We stayed in room 1209 on the backside of the Castaway facing the parking lot. This was perfect, because noise was not a factor. The maid was just finishing our room when we arrived and the room was immaculate. It was the prefect size for a family of three. Any more family members and I may have felt a bit cramped. My room keepers must have been angels. Every day the room was made to perfection after we left it in a pig sty. I felt really guilty for this. I started picking up my stuff before leaving. My only two complaints for the room was no trash bags in the garbage cans other than the one under the sink. But they were emptied daily so it wasn't much of a problem. The other complaint is the walls are pretty thin and you can hear everything.

The pool area was amazing. The water was very cold. I didn't enjoy that too much. So I let my daughter enjoy the pool and I sat to the side and watched. Pool area was always clean. Lifeguards are great. Towels were always available and picked up. There were also complimentary life jackets. Atomic Tonic located at the pool had yummy drinks and the staff was great. Music played at the pool had something for everyone. Would have liked to experience a live band. There is also a fire pit, that is very romantic and a nice place to read and hang out. One night a guy brought out his guitar. The night movies are fun and are at the back of the pool on the soft grass.

Bus stop is off to the side and I felt they needed to add pedestrian walkways. People were crossing the roads to get to the busses. The walkway they have now is very out the way coming from anywhere but the lobby. Busses are only five minutes apart and most the time we never even had to wait. Drivers are friendly and are always happy to greet their passengers.

We tried all the areas of the lobby. First the food court. Very disappointed that the only food you can get to go is pizza. I had left overs from our drive that my daughter and I ate in the room. My husband went to the food court and didn't return for quit some time. When he returned, he told me that they did not allow him to leave the food court. They plated his pasta, he asked for a to go box and they told him no. When he tried to leave with his pasta. They were watching him and stopped him. We tried the food court as a family on our last day. The food price is the same as the theme parks, but tasted much better. The atmosphere was nice and we enjoyed talking about all the old commercials. The arcade was lots of fun and once again the staff was great. The bowling ally was a great time and it was a fun way to make new friends. Nice music and atmosphere. You pay by the hour. We hit the day special so the price really was not bad and in an hour we were able to bowl two and a half games. Only problem was the lane sometimes had a big delay in setting up pins. But our time was added back by the machine before our game expired. Staff was also great and was always checking if we needed something to drink or eat. The gift shop was nice. Was upset that there was not more Cabana Bay merchandise. It was just the same items as the parks. Last but not least is the Starbucks. Visited once. Did not go back. I was the only person that had placed an order. I sat right in front of them and they still forgot my order. I only ordered one drink. After more than ten minutes of waiting, the manager finally brought me my drink with only a sorry.

All in all, the stay here was fantastic! I usually stay at the Disney All Star resorts, but this has won me over. The staff were just amazing and very friendly. We can not wait to stay again. Thank you for a great time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Paramus, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

When we pulled up to the resort around 11am, a super friendly employee was right there to greet and guide us. He allowed me to park in front of the building while my husband checked-in (if you are by yourself, there is a parking lot just for checking in). I guess since this is new hotel, a lot of the rooms were readily available which was nice for us! They gave him a resort map and individual key cards with our names printed on it that I will definitely keep. :) You can also use the cards to pay for charges throughout the resort. Parking ($10/day) is very convenient, you get to park right outside your assigned building. We were also given a map but there were signs everywhere pointing to wherever you needed to go so you can never got lost. They didn't offer late check out (I guess cos it was a Saturday) but was told we can stay and enjoy the resort as long as we wanted. Check out is 11am so we packed up and headed to the pool (you need your key card to enter) before we headed back home. Beach towels were free and located in several white tents throughout the pool area. No showers in the pool bathrooms but there are outside showers where you can rinse off.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
LaGrange, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

My family and I enjoyed our stay. The room was smaller than what we are use to but they are awesome. The hotel amenities are great especially the big pool. The location is great. We loved it and plan to stay here again. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed June 2014
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is one affordable place inside the Resort. It is extremely comfortable and very convenient too. Nice. clean, spacious, nice smiling staff. Complementary bus to and from the attraction from 7 am to 2 am. Ticketing desk in the lobby is there for all necessary ticketing and information. Starbucks inside. A food court is also there, though closes at 10pm. What I loved most was their bed and pillows. It was extremely comfortable. It is only for the pillows and the bed I am awarding them 5 star. Otherwise, a 4 star would have done ;)
Nice retro music playing all the time.
The universal store inside has interesting things and other basic things like paracetamols too.
Loved the place actually :)
Though some people complain about the noise i didnt have any problem on that regard. May be I was too drained after the park visits and the pillow was too comfy to drain everything out !!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Universal's C, Manager at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
We’re thrilled to hear that you had a great experience at our resort. Thank you for reviewing your stay and providing us with your great feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that you loved our pillows.

Thank you for your kind compliments regarding our staff, too!

We’re looking forward to your next visit to Cabana Bay.

Have a swell day,

Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort Management

Been to Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!