“REAL DOWN HOME COOKING!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Virginia
“REAL DOWN HOME COOKING!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We are on vacation in Orlando this week and we like to try different restaurants that we don't have in Virginia. I did some searching on-line looking for a soul food place and I decided on Mc Knights based on reviews..I'm so glad we did..we went today Wednesday May 29, 2013 for a late lunch. It was 3 adults & 1 child my grandson..The place is kind of hard to find based on mapquest but its actually downtown Orlando off of Division St on Church St..there's a lot of construction going on and you may ride right pass it..we rode around detours till I finally called and got directions..It was worth the wait..It has a very modest jazzy scale to it, with a beautiful fish tank..We were greeted by Theresa the hostess who seated us at a nice spacious booth, she took our drink orders and told us that Anthony would be our server..He came to the table and introduced himself and gave us the list of specials of the day..There was soft jazz playing in the background and several tables occupied with people talking and enjoying their food..I had the fried chicken wings, mac n' cheese and potato salad; my wife had the smothered pork chops, collard greens, rice n gravy and mac n cheese; my son had the smothered pork chops, black eye peas, rice n gravy and collard greens; my grandson had the fried chicken wings and mac n cheese.Each one of our meals came with a small piece of cornbread..The meals were mouth watering everything was delicious our only complaint was that the mac n cheese was a little dry..I'm from North Carolina and I have never had sweet potato pie baked on graham cracker crust..It was EXCELLENT...My son had the banana pudding he said it was good but a little runny..The serving portions was hearty and the service was EXCELLENT !!! The prices are very affordable and I'm sure when the construction is over their business will be SKY ROCKETING!!!! This will be a stop for us when we return next Fall to Florida..P.S. They close at 6pm due to construction right now...

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tampa, Florida
“Real soul food at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My best friend and I met at McKnight's for lunch on a Saturday and we went fairly early as to avoid a crowd. It was fairly slow for lunch, but picked up by 1pm. Still plenty of seating available. Very comfortable booths, a nice aquarium , and some light jazzy/gospel music playing in the background. Great feel to the place and very nicely decorated. Now, the food...stew beef was so good I took a to go box of it! Well seasoned and not overly greasy like some places. We also enjoyed the selection of sides like Mac n cheese, collard greens, green beans, potato salad, etc. only reason I didn't go full 5 star overall is that they don't say on the website some sides are only available on Sundays. They did have pork chops (smothered or fried) and I would go back on a Sunday to try those yams and okra/tomato sides! Overall good experience, good service , and great soul food! If you're in Orlando, check them out! Fyi: Parking in rear lot very reasonable if you don't find a free spot in front or in the side . Not far from the Arena. Good location in an area that's being revitalized.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere