“Local Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Eclectic
Gainesville, Florida
“Local Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is an adorable converted house with a great wine list and outstanding food. Our waiter was wonderful and accommodated all our requests. Owner came by to make sure things were good and told us how the restaurant is named for her daughter. Food was outstanding except they were out of the Ceviche (OK, we did get in just as the kitchen was closing but still disappointed). Calamari was excellent with fresh spices, fresh bread... actually everything was fresh. One of the few places who did not overcook the chicken kabob.
Had a very nice Malbec.
Oh, and they have parking in the rear so you don;t ave to fight for a spot on the street.
Yay Iza !!!

• Visited May 2013

100% Recommend
Satellite Beach FL
“Fantanstic Tapas food and great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We really enjoyed the food and wait staff at Iza. We had the calamari and bruschetta, along with a nice selection of beers. The wait staff was super friendly and helpful. We would definitely go there again.

Visited May 2013
Longwood, Florida
“Neighborhood Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Some friends and I meet monthly for brunch, sampling local restaurants of the mom and pop variety as opposed to chains. This past Sunday we were fortunate to have discovered the fabulous buffet with endless mimosas and sangria at Iza Tapas Bar in Thornton Park, one of the best little walking neighborhoods in the Orlando area. The atmosphere is one as if you are a guest in someones home, with a host that not only attends to the details of a beautiful presentation but also the selection of offerings so that the blend of flavors is sheer perfection. Fresh blueberry pancakes made to order, strawberries and blackberries with melon, pepper crusted goat cheese with french bread and strawberry preserves, crisp bacon and eggs along with salmon and capers, and a tortilla bar with chicken and pulled pork, chips and spicy queso. The staff were attentive so that plates were cleared quickly, drinks flowed with never an empty glass on the table, and we sat for hours with no pressure to free up our rather large table of 9, which was seated immediately despite the fact that they are unable to take reservations. We noticed that there were several repeat customers that the servers knew who said that the brunch was so good, they had to come back from the previous week. I would concur, as of all the places we have met for brunch these past two years, this could definitely be a favorite. On a last note, we did our best to put a serious dent in the buffet, and yet it always looked as if they had just opened with plates and bowls filled to the rims with all this little restaurant had to offer. Certainly this was done with intent and shows the skill of the management and servers. A great dining experience for brunch and not to be missed.

• Visited May 2013
Florida
“Food great, service a work in progress”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I make it a point to never go to a new restaurant until they have a chance to work out the kinks and if I had known how short a time Iza had been open I probably would have chosen someplace else. But I am glad that I did not, and will definitely go there again to give them a chance to improve on their few shortfalls. I had dinner with my wife on a recent Saturday night. The outside tables were open seating and provided a great chance to people watch, although we were one of the few tables with patrons that did not bring a dog. The dogs were all well behaved and did not bother me, even though I am more of a cat person. I had the Sangria, which was excellent. My wife chose a Merlot, which was not, but our server was happy to replace it with another choice. The service was very slow and our server, who was also one of the owners, apologized for it several times. Apparently they had two employees call in sick that evening. But we were not in a hurry and just decided to roll with it. For our first course, we shared the tomato and pesto crostini and the mango shrimp ceviche. I thought the crostini was very good and my wife thought that it was excellent. She liked the ceviche and I thought it was the best I have ever had. The crostini was sort of a deconstructed bruschetta. The toast points were perfectly cooked and the basil was so fresh that it had obviously been picked that day. Fresh tomatoes can be difficult in Florida and I liked that they had two different kinds on the plate so you could choose. The ceviche was a generous bowl of shrimp, mango, peppers, cilantro and other ingredients that was served with house-made plantain chips. I would have happily paid just to eat the chips which were perfectly cooked and lightly salted, and they went so well with the ceviche. I really wanted to have the lamb sliders and was very disappointed to find out that the kitchen was out of them. We settled for the Cuban sliders instead. While good, they were our least favorite item. The pork was good, but not overly flavorful and I thought that the pickles were too sweet. I will call ahead next time to make sure they are serving lamb and look forward to trying the chicken and beef skewers as well.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Perfect Way to Start the Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We came up to Orlando to see our college co-eds and have a family dinner with them. We love tapas, it's a perfect way to sit around the table catching up on what's going on with everyone. Iza brought us back to Spain eating in a family run, independent restaurant where the owners are there serving you and making sure you have everything you need. Only open 3 months I expect them to be on Washington St a long time. The restaurant is in a house built in 1922, very historic. As the other reviews indicated the food was fantastic. Our party of 5 sampled just about everything on the menu and each dish was better than the last. The only 'complaint' was that they're not serving dessert yet, but that's to come soon. We'll definitely be back in September when we come up for UCF Parents weekend, and we'll be bringing a few more friends!

• Visited April 2013