“Definitely Trying Hard - Perhaps I Had A Bad Nite” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, Spanish, Tapas, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicagoland
“Definitely Trying Hard - Perhaps I Had A Bad Nite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Went there based on TA reviews - I'm a huge fan of paella / tapas, and they definitely cover some of the key areas: croquettes, sangria, paella. Collective feedback from all four in my party - just average on the classics, but sangria was good. One in my party ordered the mahi mahi entree and indicated it was quite (and surprisingly) good. The Valencian paella was subpar - tasted like frozen veggies and unseasoned meat. Would return to give them another try - suspect I just had a bad nite here.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Marietta, Georgia
“Really folks'! Not a lot here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Sometimes you can tell quality by the number of people entering or leaving at dinner time. We visited today after reading the good reviews. We sat out front in the parking lot for 10 minutes. No one left or entered. That should have been a clue! There was one other couple sitting in this place containing wooden tables. We stayed. The calamari was good. The dipping sauce was unflavorable. The sangria was flat however the wine was excellent. The hot rolls were very good. We ordered the seafood paella which was somewhat tasteless but ok for locals, I think. Not something that I would return for seconds. The men's bath was dark because only one of the four light bulbs was working. We were there for about 1.5 hours and other than the couple at the other table, there were no other paying customers. This place as potential within the local community that is looking for a Spanish dish. However, beyond the local family related clients, it leaves a lot to be desire. However, I support small family owned businesses and I hope they get a great chef to help the business grow.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Mold, United Kingdom
“OK but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I can't understand all the glowing reviews. It was OK but it was far from five star. We had the house special cold tapa. Presentation was basic, the olives were pimento stuffed from a jar, supermarket quality, also the meats and cheese could have been bought in Publix down the road.

The paella mixta again was OK but the ingredients were not fresh, the chicken and the calamari were rather chewy.

Service was great though, but we were the only customers there on a Monday night.

All in all a resounding average.

Visited April 2014
Houston, Texas
“Family Operated Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

The Paella was great and a huge serving that with leftovers taken home produce another two meals. The service was great as well. This was our second visit and they honored a Groupon with no hesitation or snarling.

Visited March 2014
Lakeland, FL
“very good food, moderate price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We had seven adults enjoy dinner at Paella House on John Young Parkway in Orlando. It is easy to drive to as it is only about a half mile north of the interchange with the Greenway, the east west expressway in south Orlando that goes south of the airport. We made reservations for a Wednesday and they had a large round table set for us when we arrived. The restaurant is located in a low end strip mall, nothing fancy.

The decor was simple and well done and we hoped the food would be even better. That turned out to be true!

Several opted for non-alcoholic drinks but the other five shared a pitcher of Sangria. It was tasty with very small diced fruit primarily apple and orange rind.

The menu is quite extensive with many variation of their signature dish, paella. Three decided to share a Paella Valenciana, the one that had no seafood. The size of the paella is made dependent on the number who order it. Most of the main dishes are made to order so expect about a 25 minute wait. Fortunately we were not in a hurry.

Several ordered hot tapas and a salad for their meal while I tried the cazuela de mariscos, billed as a savory sea food stew in a special marinara. I did not want any of the three starchy sides so I got an extra order of vegetables. The cazuela was loaded with shellfish and fish, and the steamed or perhaps sautéed vegetables, consisting of coarse cut broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, in other word a California blend. We also ordered fried calamari as an appetizer.

The cazuela was excellent, the vegetables healthy but nothing special, the calamari was clearly a mixture of some that were fried once and some twice, with the second, crisper and better tasting. Perhaps they should cook all calamari twice as one does to get crisp French fries. Those who ate the tapas and the paella were delighted with their choices. Most of us ordered a Caesar salad, good but nothing to write home about.

Our waiter, Richard, was attentive without being intrusive, in other words an excellent waiter. We all shared a flan as several in the party had never tried one. It too was quite good but no where near the very best I have had.

Overall, I would certainly recommend Paella House. Some dishes need a little work, such as the vegetables and Caesar salad, and the calamari could be a little bit crisper. The portions are more than adequate. I took half of my cazuela and vegetables home in nice repeatable cylindrical containers. There was also plenty of extra paella which went home in a different directions.

I was disappointed for the restaurant to see so few other diners. No more than two of the ten or so other tables were occupied while we were there though some came by to pick up take out orders. The main courses we tried were very good to excellent. If one is looking for very good Spanish food at a moderate price, Paella House is a fine place to dine.

• Visited March 2014