“Ignore the bad comments...people are too fussy!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monumental MovieLand

You added Monumental MovieLand to your Saves list
Monumental MovieLand
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6233 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819 (Florida Center)   |
Ranked #232 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Kezzakeane
“Ignore the bad comments...people are too fussy!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Just arrived home today from my 5th trip to Orlando and 1st to this hotel. I picked it based on location {had seen it on previous trips!} and was spot on to do so - it's a great base on I-Drive with everything on your door-step! We walked to Universal very easily - takes about 20-25 mins and is easier than waiting for shuttles! Didn't use the Disney shuttle as they only offered one pick-up time which didn't suit so found a lovely local guy who owns a private shuttle firm and offers trips to Disney for $14 return {cheaper than hotel and with more pick-up times!} - would be happy to reccommend him if anyone was interested.
The hotel itself is absolutely fine - I didn't think it smelt like people have said! The front desk were very helpfull when I asked them anything and the maid service was faultless. We had room 211 and it was excellent - and the ice machine on our floor DID work! The pool is a bit small but hell....look what's over the road....WET AND WILD!!! Free wi-fi was very usefull. Could have done with a fridge on the room but wasn't going to pay the $5 a day charge. Best place for breakfast was the Sizzler over the road...slightly better quality than the also good Ponderosa - I thought the Black Angus breakfast was poor, avoid!! Go to Chilli's - it's a GREAT place to eat and very good value - and they sell strawberry lemonade which is yummy!
Yes this place isn't anything overly fancy but is that really what you need for Florida??? No!!! It's a good hotel for the price and I would DEFINITELY return!
Feel free to ask me anything if you need to!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

The hotel was cheap, compared with other hotels in the area. But it as clean, friendly and in a great location. Wi-fi was a little hit and miss first week, but the rest of our stay it worked fine (we stayed for 3 weeks) Staff helpful with directions etc. And in Orlando you need a bed for the nignt . Would go there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I stayed at the Movieland in November 2008 and found it to be in an excellent location on International Drive. After reading some negative reviews recently I was in two minds when deciding to stay there again. I decided to go to the same hotel, mainly because of its prime location right opposite Wet n Wild and have just returned from a fantastic two week holiday. This is a no frills hotel. What you do get is a clean, tidy and spacious room with comfortable beds and a good hot shower. In Florida this is all you need. After a hard day at the parks the hotel is somewhere to come and have a shower and sleep! The hotel is right next to the Black Angus restaurant so If your too shattered to go looking for food there is plenty only a stones throw away. The breakfasts there are awesome too. The hotels pool is big enough to have a splash around in, although with Wet n Wild over the road we only used the pool a couple of times. The hotels gift shop is no longer open but there are gift / food shops only a short walk away. The staff are friendly and helpful and the room was cleaned, fresh towels etc every day. The bed was changed twice during our stay. I would stay there again without a doubt.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

We were due to stay for a few nights but checked out after our first. The hotel is in need of a total overhaul. There is a strange smell throughout the hotel maybe of damp but it was really unpleasant. The room was clean but very basic and shabby furniture. The decor is bizarre with cheap prints of movie posters hung at jaunty angles. The pool was nice and towels were provided. Overall I'm sorry to say this place was really depressing and we insisted that our tour company moved us as the holiday was a special occasion . I didn't think much of the location, it is really close to Universal and Wet and Wild but there are much nicer areas on Int Drive. We ate in the Black Angus Steakhouse nextdoor as we had arrived so late it was really good food and good value. Sizzlers opposite was not so good for breakfast. Go to Dennys instead

• Stayed October 2010
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

I will start by saying this is a honest review, it Was an excellent holiday after reading the reviews i was a bit wary and worried about the hotel,but i can say i was very surprised and glad that my fears were not realised.When we got to the hotel its not the best looking hotel from the outside a bit dirty and when we entered the hotel to be honest smelled a bit fusty we were meeted by a happy smiling receptionist who booked us in fast with no fuss and very helpfull,we went to our rooms (as went with parents in one room across from us and my wife and 2 children 6 and 10) which to be honest are basic but clean which is what we wanted as we were not living in them just laying down our heads after busy days out. They were not fusty or damp but comfortable with air con television tea/coffee maker ,bathroom was clean a touch small but everything you needed bath/shower toilet and sink.The rooms were cleaned,beds made everyday and fresh towels every day (parents room was not done one day though ).The one area i felt let the hotel down was the pool there was a poolside bar which for the two weeks we were there never opened and looked like the water wasnt cleaned properly but just being across from wet and wild we never really used the pool.also i read before that the ice machines never worked but the one we passed and used everyday worked fine,also the hotel is situated very well for all the parks and restaurants and the i trolley all in all we had a fantastic holiday hotel good staff good food very good and maybe one day we will return after alot of saving up but i must say we booked through travel city direct a subsidry of virgin holidays and was not impressed with the way they run things over there was no first meeting when we arrived and no further contact through the holiday we found out the reps were based in kissimee a fair bit away and thats where they stayed not good, finally i would recommend this hotel and area to any other person as we had a great time and would definitely come back.

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

We have just got back from staying at this hotal and what you pay for is what you get.
The hotel is old and dose need attention but they have started painting and sorting the problems out.
We had no problems we checked in ok , we went up to the rooms and was worried what with all the bad reviews but the room was clean , housekeeping do a great job , we asked for more towels and were given these. The only thing i would say is you can hear everything that is going on in the corridoors but you except this , it is a hotel .
The pool area was clean we spent a few afternoons by the pool , their was always clean towels , the pool was cleaned early every morning.
The location was great as you are able to walk to Universal Studios which saves you15$
parking , we also got taxi back which we were charged 5$ for 7 of us .
We traveled with teenagers and they were happy as they could get free wifi so was able to keep in touch with frinds on their ipods .
If you want a 5STAR hotel you will have to pay more money but if you are keeping to a budget this hotel is Fine.

South Shields, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

Arrival:
Upon arriving at the Hotel me and my family were dealt with by one of the front desk staff. We needed a roll away bed and it had been agreed through our travel agent that we would only have to to pay $5 per day as our travel agent had made an error in our booking. I thought this was going to cause problems but within a few minutes the price was confirmed and we were allocated a room at the front of the hotel. As this faced the road I requested a room facing the pool which I was given with no problems. With our key in hand we made our way to our room.

Room:
I had read some horror stories about this hotel so I was ready to completely check the room before we unpacked. The room was clean but did smell a little damp with a smell of foist. We had no sooner got in the room and our roll away bed arrived along with the fridge (which was an absolute must with 3 children). The roll away bed was a little old but it was clean.

Bathroom was clean and consumable were replenished when needed. The hot water took a while to come through but I was told this was due to the distance my room was away from the boiler. This meant we had to let the hot tap run for about 3 - 5 minutes before any hot water came through at times. This did not cause us any major problem.

Along with the room was free wireless access. I took my own Apple MacBook Pro and found no problems accessing the network. My iPod worked fine as well although when using it around the pool the signal strength was weak in certain areas. There were PC's in the foyer that you could use if you wanted internet access but I never used these or seen anyone else using these.

Games Room:
This was small and although our children did not use it much when they did they became bored quite quickly. Token machine did not work so we had to go to reception for these where again the reception staff were very helpful.

Pool:
The pool was clean but I am not sure if this was because it was actually being cleaned (I never saw this happen) or because there was not a lot of people using the pool when we were their. The couple of days we spent at the pool were enjoyed by the whole family and there was always pool towels available for use.

Location:
This was the main reason I wanted to give this hotel a go and I was not disappointed. It was great being within easy reach of all the main theme parks and being across the road from wet'n'wild. We hired a car so we did not need to use the complimentary shuttle, although we did esquire about this at one stage and were told there are limited spaces and it was a case of first come first served. If the hotel was busy I would imagine this would cause problems. I did speak to a few people who ordered a taxi and they confirmed that you should just order your own as the taxi firm the hotel uses are a lot more expensive.

Hire Car:
This is off topic but I thought it would be worth mentioning as it saved me a lot of money. I decided not to hire a car for the full 3 weeks straight away as I had not driven in the USA before and I wasn't sure if I wanted to. Also once you have booked your car there is no going back so I decided to book a car for the first 3 days then take it from there. This turned out to be a great idea, the car I order was nice to get to and from the airport but I didn't fancy driving it everywhere so after the 3 days were up I took it back to Alamo and asked what else they had. The guy at Alamo was great and he confirmed what was available. As my hotel was right next to Alamo I went back their and ordered my car online. This was much cheaper than the price that the guy at Alamo could give me. Overall I saved around $800 as I downsized my car to a brand new ford focus which was fine for what I needed just to get around.

Conclusion:
You get what you pay for, this hotel was not the best I have stayed in but it did provide me what I needed which was a clean space to sleep in. We were in this hotel for 3 weeks and spent most of our days in parks and rarely stayed in the hotel through the day. As we had a fridge (which I would highly recommend) we did not use any ice machines in the hotel. Having said that the fridge's ice compartment did not keep things frozen so be careful.

If you are looking to spend most of your time out of the hotel and only use the hotel for a clean, safe place to sleep then this hotel does the job.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Monumental MovieLand? Share your experiences!