“Exceeded expectations-- and 10 tips on getting the most from your stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes

Ranked #33 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Westerville Ohio
“Exceeded expectations-- and 10 tips on getting the most from your stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

I selected this hotel for the pool and the property and I wasn't disappointed (except by the weather!) The surprising part was this hotel's service team and how hard they worked to provide whatever was requested. It seemed like they'd all recently attended a 'can do' employee motivation workshop or something. I was called in advance of my stay by the concierge to ask if they could arrange anything for me. I arranged a cake to be delivered to my room and a spa appointment. Now, some tips on enjoying the resort!

1. This hotel is connected to a Ritz Carlton. The use of the Ritz gym is complimentary for Ritz AND JW Marriott Grande Lakes guests, so check it out. It opens really early, like at 5 or 6 a.m. The gym is great: spotlessly clean, friendly trainers, fresh fruit, infused waters, towels, headphones, and incredible equipment, many treadmills and other machines with their own TV. Trainers offered what upcoming classes they had that we might like to join.

2. The spa is also great! Wear or take a bathing suit so you can enjoy big hot tubs inside, the steam room, and the sauna. You can use the spa facilities all day when you have a scheduled appointment, I think. I took a book about an hour before my appointment and put on my spa robe, relaxed by a large hot tub, had a cup of tea, etc. before my lovely massage. Afterwards, I used the steam room and sauna and took my time getting dressed. You can shower there, and there's also a private spa pool you can use if you have an appointment. I think 20% gratuity is added to the bill already. The spa was busy when I was there, but my therapist was great and I really felt that I got my money's worth.

3. The hotel property itself is just lovely to explore and walk around. There's a rose garden, the pool complex is great, the lazy river was incredibly beautiful and relaxing, and poolside service was pretty good. We're not golfers but golfing is right across the bridge on a Greg Norman designed course. Plenty of towels for the pool and pool chairs- they charge for rafts, unless you bring your own. I gave mine away when I was done using it.

4. You can eat at any restaurant on the JW Marriott side or the Ritz side and bill it to your room, same with the spa and pools.

5. Internet is an unsecured network and it's like 15.95 a day....other Marriott properties offer free internet on the same iBahn network so this seems a little silly.

6. Parking is also not free, but self park in the lot and walk in any entrance to enter the hotel complex.

7. There is a Starbucks that opens early (6 a.m.,and many hotel Starbucks don't open until 7 and even then sometimes it's hit and miss) between the Marriott and the Ritz, in the connector strip. It is great to have good coffee whenever basically whenever you want, on the premises.

8. There's a safe and a small fridge in the room. The minibar isn't weighted, as some now are, so you can move the stuff inside around and put your own Diet Coke or snacks in there. There's a Whole Foods nearby and we stopped for hummus and pita, milk and cereal.

9. We found the staff very eager to accommodate any request that we had. They went out of their way to do things like offer an umbrella for the day when it rained, deliver my cake earlier than I had originally asked when I decided I wanted it earlier, and anything else we asked them to do. Housekeeping was good and they do offer turndown service in the late afternoon.

10. Finally, this hotel is about 10 mins. from Disney theme parks and less from Universal. We don't have kids so this was very convenient for us, and we felt this hotel was luxurious, quiet, and highly enjoyable. I would definitely return to this hotel to enjoy the pools, the great service, and the amenities.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Traveled here based on the reviews and the fact we weren't going to Disney. Also I got a phenomal rate of $125 compared to the rack rate of $325. I had my 60 year old mom and 7 year old son. I will start by saying my son loved the pool and couldn't talk about anything else. Due to the weather the pool was a little cold by my standards. The lifeguard said it usually is around 83, but due to the below average temps it was running about 78. Which to anyone over the age of 14 is cold!

We arrived early at 1pm and were checked right in. Thanks to my moms Mariott reward staus we were offered free parking or free internet. Which was a $15 savings! Also, we called one night ahead and asked for a mini-fridge (you can do this and if they are availabel they will deliver) and it was delivered to our room about 20 minutes after we checked in. This saved ALOT of money on drinks etc. Example: Soda will run you 5 (they include gratuity in the bill automcatically at the pool bar) and a non-alcoholic Pina Colada is $9.
The room was extrememly clean. The grounds and pool were immaculate. The staff very friendly. Very convienently located near International Drive (10 min). We had our own car, so getting out and about was easy. However, if you are not driving, I would plan on some high food and beverage bills.
The beds were comfy with plenty of pillows. The nightly turn down service was a nice touch. And surprisingly for Orlando, our room was always cleaned by 1pm. I have no complaints and would definately return!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
dd3506
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

This is our 2nd visit to this hotel over the Christmas/New Year Holidays and we find it perfect. The hotel is in a great location for the Millenium Mall and Sea World but a car is required and you will get charged for parking it at the hotel.The Breakfast is great and we strongly recommend it. All the staff were helpful and the rooms very clean. The pool is clean and reasonably warm for the time of year with golf and fishing available there is plenty to do away from the parks!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Boston, MA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Everything about the hotel is definitely top notch although the front desk clerk upon check in was slightly condescending as we were on an Orbitz package. We were there school vacation week so this experience might not be typical for the rest of the year, but car rental prices were astronomical, so we took a Town Car back and forth to Disney every day. First class service but at $45 each way, ate our budget pretty fast. If you are traveling primarily to the Theme Parks, I would suggest a Disney property as all of the transportation/hotel transfers etc are included and you really don't spend that much time at the hotel. This hotel is more of a resort location and top notch for sure if that's what your vacation goals are.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Homer Glen, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Disappointed...5 star price, 3 star hotel. Geared for corporate travel only. Everything is so over priced. Told when we arrived internet would be 19.95 plus tax in room, or avail in the lobby and common areas. Failed to mention cost of 15.00 to use the internet in the lobby..really!!.. Super small rooms, very Hampton Inn at best. Pool area awesome.. however $5.00 for a tube to use the lazy river..crazy.
Great hotel if you have deep pockets or your company is picking up the tab.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I have traveled here a few times, with my husband, parents, and in-laws. I would highly recommend the JW, it is a beautiful resort. I love the entire ambience of the hotel, especially the pools and the lazy river. The pool area is one of the best I have seen, and everytime I have been it has never been too crowded. With plenty of chairs and space to spread out. It is a great place for kids and adults. Many kids activities to keep them entertained. We are family that loves Disney, however it is nice to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the parks and this is a perfect place to do it. The entire property is so peaceful and relaxing, with beautiful decor and well maintained grounds. With both my parents and in-laws buying timeshare weeks at the new Lakeshore Reserve, that is currently under construction next door to the JW, we will be attending this property for many years to come....and we can't wait!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

We've stayed here quite a few times we travling through Florida. The hotel has a silent charm to it. The property is quite spacious, your not bumping into other guest during your stay. The staff does a great job taking care of the guest. There no other place for me and my family to stay when in Orlando.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!