“Another Amazing Marriott Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Weekend Wintervention
Ranked #36 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Linthicum Heights, Maryland
“Another Amazing Marriott Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the fabulous JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes for a week in June. I picked this hotel for two reasons, I love the Marriott brand and the pool! My husband was here for a convention so I spend most of my days at the pool. I loved the pool area here! There are plenty of chairs with umbrellas, there are five pools connected by a lazy river, and the whole pool area is very clean. A little note, if you want to use inner tubes in the lazy river bring your own. You can buy an inner tube at the pool but they're not worth the money. I never felt the pool was crowded and there were always plenty of lounge chairs throughout the day to be found.

Check-in was very quick, there is a special line for Marriott Elite Members. Another note, I am a silver member and one of the perks offered to me was free self parking or an extra amount of points (I can't remember how many, maybe 500?). I took the free self parking! I wish we would have known about the free parking because we chose to valet park so we were charged for one day of valet parking and the rest of the days we did the free self parking. I have read several reviews complaining about the walk from the hotel to the parking lot. Really? It wasn't that far of a walk. Just a few minutes and you are there. Clearly none of the complainers have ever stayed in a casino hotel in Las Vegas because that is a long walk to the parking garage!

Our room overlooked the pool area and was very spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable, not too hard and not too soft. There was an iPod/iPhone dock so you could play music . The bathroom was huge! There were lots of free goodies in the bathroom, lotion, shampoo. body wash, shower cap, q-tips, cotton balls, and bar soap. Each night for turndown service we received chocolates on our pillow, although the last two nights we only had one chocolate. There was a refrigerator in our room but it was not turned on. I'm not sure if you have to pay for it to be turned on. There was a smalls safe to put your valuables in. I felt there could have been more drawer space for your clothes but we made do. The closet was a nice size and we were able to get our luggage in there with no problem. Like other reviewers have said, the decor of the hotel is a bit outdated and is not as modern as the JW Marriott in Miami I stayed in. However, that would not stop me from staying here again.

The hotel is not within walking distance to anything. You'll have to hop in the car and go out for food if you don't want to pay the high prices of the hotel eateries. There is a Starbucks in the hotel lobby but they do not sell breakfast or lunch sandwiches. They do sell oatmeal, pastries, and cookies. I went to the Cafe Bodega one morning for a breakfast sandwich. I felt for $8 it was not worth the money for a small croissant with bacon, egg and cheese. I went back the following day for lunch and had a buffalo chicken wrap, it wasn't bad, but again not worth the money. I found a fantastic breakfast spot about a mile up the road called Keke's Breakfast Cafe. It's amazing! We went there four times during our stay! I highly recommend going there!

I found out every Friday in the summer Sea World comes to visit the lobby right outside the entrance to the pool area. They bring two penguins with them and you can watch the penguins do what penguins do. The Sea World employees tell you all about the penguins and the exhibits at Sea World. I thought it was pretty neat.

Overall, another great stay at the Marriott brand and I would most definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Turner, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Grande Lakes Orlando, featuring the Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott hotels, is the perfect blend of fun, luxury, relaxation and surprise. While I have always enjoyed an Orlando vacation with the entire family in tow, I have never thought of Orlando as a couples’ destination or as a place I would visit with girlfriends. Grande Lakes Orlando changed all that for me. With a seemingly endless number of activities and spots to explore, Grande Lakes Orlando is a destination perfect for any type of Orlando vacation.
With some of the finest restaurants in Orlando on-property, Grande Lakes has much to offer for foodies. Most of the restaurants utilize the resort’s vegetable, fruit and herb gardens in their meals and purchase meat and fish from local farms and fisheries. There wasn’t a single dish I had during our stay that was anything less than superb. The resort also offers cooking classes for adults and children.

Activities abound at Grande Lakes. You don’t need to leave the property to feel like you have had a very full and fantastic vacation. Grande Lakes offers a Greg Norman designed golf course, The Ritz-Carlton Spa, adventure experiences including fly fishing, canoeing, kayaking and eco-tours on the headwaters of the Florida Everglades, 3 pools including a lap pool at the Spa, a quiet, serene pool at The Ritz-Carlton and a very fun lazy river pool at the JW Marriott.

If you are headed to Orlando for a family vacation, Grande Lakes offers free transportation to most of the major theme parks and an incredibly helpful and knowledgeable concierge team to help you make plans, find deals and make the most of your time in Orlando. The Ritz Kids program offers an abundance of activities to keep kids delighted while at the resort and a very fun Ritz Kids room full of games, toys, and media to keep kids occupied and happy for hours and hours. With the new addition of in-room camping, Grande Lakes brings fun to a whole new level for kids.

Off-season rates are incredibly reasonable given the plethora of amenities and activities at Grande Lakes Orlando, a resort stay is very budget-friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Lutherville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have stayed here once before and were so pleased that we decided to go back. We arrived around Noon on a Sunday but we were able to check in anyway. The room was amazing! The bathroom was absolutely immaculate and huge. Everything was in tip top shape and ready to go. One of their restaurants, Citron, is worth every penny. We had breakfast there one day. I had the buffet which was extensive and top notch. My other half has food restrictions and they were able to accommodate with no problems.
We decided to spend one day poolside. I would recommend doing this there at least one day. Everything is right there. They have an outdoor restaurant, called Quench, which also has high quality food for any type of taste. One thing I love about being poolside (and drifting along the beautiful lazy river) is that they serve adult beverages to you whether you are in or out of the pool. It is so relaxing. The wait staff is friendly and around when you need them.
The décor and atmosphere of this hotel is breathtaking. From the gorgeous fountain as soon as you walk in to the enormous staircase near Citron to our room, everything is done in high quality and absolute exquisite taste.
All of the staff are very friendly and helpful. We will stay here again and again because it is worth every penny! It is TRULY one of the BEST hotels we have ever stayed! BRAVO!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey

What a terrific stay!

95% of the Ritz Carlton Experience, 50% of the price.

Stayed here with my wife for a 4 day Labor Day weekend getaway. We decided to stay the first day in Orlando before going up to Sawgrass Marriott, and I am glad we stayed at the JW.

The property
Terrific resort that still smells brand new.
AWESOME location on the grounds with the Ritz Carlton
AMAZING lazy river pool. If you want a lap pool, you can use the next door Ritz Carlton one.
Even during Labor Day weekend, it never felt crowded.
Great Rooms
Great Amenities

The People
Every staff member we encountered was courteous and friendly.

What you need to know...
1. Parking. Either Valet or Self Parking. If you are self parking, it is a bit of a walk, maybe 50 to 100 yards from the main hotel entrance. There is a daily parking fee. As a marriott Elite member, you may be able to get it comped. I had it comped as part of the Platinum welcome gift.

2. There are no "club" level rooms, and this is considered a resort property.

We did get upgraded to the executive suite on the 26th floor, overlooking the pool. Oh my. Can't say enough about the room. Plenty of space, Amazingly comfortable bed, Awesome balcony. The only thing I can nitpick... the shower is just big enough for one person. It is fairly tight. There is a tub however which is pretty nice.

The shower/toilet, etc are all one room, so no privacy if you are in the bathroom and spouse/gf/significant other wants to wash hands etc.

Next time we are in Orlando... will stay at again, without a doubt.

Room Tip: If you can get the executive suite... get it. Amazing view towards the pool side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I don't readily give out 5 stars, but I think this place worthy, based mostly upon the pool and acroutrements. The room itself was very nice, clean and asthetically pleasing, but this hotel really scores points with the grand layout of the lobby and the pool. The lazy river has 4-5 pools that are interconnected and it feels like you are floating from one island to th next. Great landscaping and the pool bars are set up nicely to serve as an adult refuge. I took my young kids and I think they enjoyed the pool more than Universal Studios. The only downside is th price of the food and drinks, but what do you expect from. 5 star hotel?

Room Tip: Higher up, poolside, ask for something closer to the elevators. If you ar using the pool, take your...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We are currently on our fifth night of a seven night stay here. While the property itself is beautiful, the hotel could use a few improvements. It is billed as a child-friendly hotel, but the cribs (Pack N Play variety) do not come with their own sheets. We were given standard full-size hotel sheets to use, and these fit very loosely even when I try to tuck them in as tightly as possible. We have an infant, so of course I am quite concerned about the possible suffocation hazard presented by this. The shower in our room leaked like a sieve. It was finally fixed, but it look multiple calls to the front desk to get it done. The TV remote Is broken, and there have been issues with water pressure (we got a letter tonight with our turndown service stating that there will be emergency repairs to the water system performed overnight). These are seemingly minor details, but I expect more when paying upwards of $400/night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JazzyVazquez, Administrative Assistant, Rooms Division at JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences endured during your last visit to our resort. Safety is imperative to us and an appropriate crib sheet should have been provided. This issue has been addressed. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have been to this resort with both friends, family and for business and it was fabulous each time. The property is gorgeous and there is so much to do- you really do not have to leave. The rooms are immaculate and the service was friendly and attentive. The kids loved the lazy river, the pools (you can use both the pools at the Marriott and the Ritz, just a short walk), and although we didn't use it, I have heard the kids club at the Ritz is amazing. There are several amazing restaurants and a couple of them get their produce from an on-site farm and garden. There is even a cooking school. Do not miss the eco-tours by kayak on the river that runs through the property--it was such a relaxing a beautiful way to spend a morning. The spa is incredible, too! The location is great- right off the expressway and very close to the airport. And, if you need to visit a theme park (it is Orlando after all) SeaWorld is just a couple of minutes away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!