“Awesome hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mertztown, Pennsylvania
“Awesome hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Tried to pick a nice place after being spoiled at the Disney Polynesian last year and chose correctly! Everything was really nice including the staff. Drinks were great and the lazy river was the best. My family will always want that now. Really good find.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I stay at several hotels in the Orlando area on our "staycations" and while this hotel is nice and clean it is for the older or couple travelers. This hotel has a lazy river pool that is heated during the winter and serves beverages by the pool. Outside there are various fire pits to spark conversation with friends or have an intimate evening. The rooms are mediocre, the bathrooms are better than your average. The separate shower from tub is always a plus, even in the basic room. I requested early check in and while it was unavailable the concierge stated they would call me when it was ready. I waited in the lobby and checked in again once I noticed my phone was low on charge. I was upset when told the room had been ready yet no one ever called. I also had an unfortunate incident with a guest that came to visit me and paid for valet with cash, their $30 was charged to my room. My advice would be to watch your statement!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The grounds of this hotel are beautiful and well kept. Ask for a view of the lake if it is available because it is wonderful to wake up to such a beautiful view. The pool area is massive and includes a lazy river. A child's paradise! Plan to spend a day just hanging out at the pool area.

The rooms are average, not nearly as luxurious as the lobby and hotel grounds. Parking is a challenge and quite expensive at 18.00 night.

Room Tip: High floor with a lake view are the best rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
El Dorado Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed at this property in late June 2013. The hotel itself is beautiful. I was put in a corner room that was very large, appeared larger than the average room. The bathroom was also very large. The room itself was nicely appointed and all the expected amenties were provided, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, slippers, robe, q-tips, bottled water etc. The bed was very comfortable. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. I went for a daily run and the property had nice trails. The hotel shares the property with the Ritz and the Ritz is equally as beautiful. If you stay here you can use either the Ritz pool or the JW pool. The JW pool has a lazy river, outdoor bar/restaurant, covered pool table and a very nice environment to spend some time sipping a drink and taking a swim to cool off. The gym is between the two hotels and is fantastic. This hands down is the best hotel gym I have ever seen. The gym also offers fresh fruit, ice cold water and cold towels. This gym has all the equipment and weights you could need. Very nicely put together.

The only downside I experienced with this hotel is the parking. On two of the three nights I came back to the hotel to find a full parking lot. After driving around assessing the parking lot I would have to go inform valet that the lot was full and they would send someone over to open the overflow lot. I would expect more from a 4 1/2 start rated JW. I parked in the overflow lot on two nights and one night I parked in the overflow lot and the next morning the gate from the main parking lot to the overflow was closed so the only exit was the employee exit. My room key did not work to exit the parking lot and eventually an employee ran his badge to allow me to exit. Parking at this hotel wasted a bit of time. This is a large hotel and the hotel should have adequate parking to accomodate guests. This issue should be promptly resolved to make staying at this hotel the top notch experience it could be.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was clean and well manicured but I definitely wouldn't stay there again. The Grand Floridian was much nicer in comparison. 18$ to park. 9$ for internet. 7$ per float for the lazy river. Rooms were small. The hotel was very crowded. Staff was nice, however.

• Stayed July 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed this hotel twice so far (last year and this year). When we arrived this hotel this year (which is few days ago), we had a problem with our room. I don't want to discuss about it, because the front desk person (Bess Collins), took care of us with beyond our satisfaction! She was very nice and she understood our problem and made us happy immediately. In general, we like to stay JW Marriott because they are the best, but if Ms. Bess Collins didn't take care of us, we would never stay "JW Marriott hotel" in the future. This hotel has a great service and when you enter the hotel, the hotel welcome you with great smells! I love this hotel. Whenever we come back to Orlando, Fl, we will stay this hotel. Trust me, this is the great hotel.

Room Tip: lake front.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sparta, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

See my tips below...The JW Marriott in Orlando was very clean, luxurious and full of beautiful details. My family & I LOVED the tropical lazy river. Everywhere we turned was beautiful. The service was very good. They have daily Children's activities so be sure to check out the Ritz children's programs, recreations and special events on JW Marriott Grande Lakes Orlando/Ritz website. Some of their special events have brunches and/or dinners outside… We attended the Smoke on the Lakes BBQ event dinner for Memorial Day, it was perfect, the food was delicious plus they had Fireworks right afterward dinner, the kids also loved it! If you're looking for discounts… another tip is to look on the official Marriott reservation website for best prices on certain days. They show the whole calendar of months with prices marked on each day so you know which days are discounted at a quick glance. We saved a lot of money by doing this. I planned our whole trip according to those discounted days. We kept the kids out of school which worked out perfect for discounts and there was less crowds at the theme parks. If you upgrade your room to Lake Front you will get free extras like complementary Breakfast and free self service car parking (normally there is a charge for daily parking) so make sure you weigh the differences in pricing if you are planning to rent a car or not and if you will or will not be eating breakfast at the resort everyday. We upgraded our room to Lake Front and it turned out to save money with the complementary extras. The Lake front view from our room was GORGEOUS, You view the lazy river and all the tropical pools plus the lake and golf course with a skyline that goes on forever with Seaworld and Disney ahead. I am so glad we upgraded our room and it was worth it. Another thing I wanted to let you all know is the safe in the room is plenty big enough for (2) 12" laptops (1) 15" laptop, (1) DSLR camera, (1) small video camera, (3) small underwater cameras and (4) iphones… Amazing we got it all to fit, it was nice NOT to worry about all the electronics being safe or not in the room. We had a vacation we will never forget and will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!