“Beautiful hotel and Awesome pool” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #31 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful hotel and Awesome pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

A work conference again brought me to Orlando. It was about a 15-20 minute drive from MCO to this resort. With all full service hotels, there were several bellman and valet attendants as you arrived. The lobby was very grand and the front desk staff was attentive, but that's what I expect from a JW Marriott. There are several restaurants throughout the hotel and 3 shoppes in the lobby leading to the conference area. There is also a Starbucks and the Bodega which sells breakfast sandwiches and quiches, as well as other snacks. The bar area was very lively during the 3 nights that we were there. The rooms were standard for a hotel of this caliber. There was a stand alone shower and a separate bath tub which was nice. I thought there was a great feature with these little reading lights attached to the headboard but none of them worked. There are In-room movies which we thought of using during the rainstorm, but changed our mind when we saw the prices. They do have $4.99 movies, but we'd already seen them because they've been out for almost a year. The highlight of the hotel was the pool which was AMAZING. There are hundreds of lounge chairs and lots of entrances to the pool. There are two areas to pool towels or buy pool toys and the much needed inner tube ($8) for the lazy river. Since I had read previous reviews, I new about the charge and brought my daughter's inner tube, but caved in and had to buy one for myself. The pool was very relaxing and when I wasn't in my meeting that's where we spent all of our time. Although there were many people around, everyone was spaced out and had their own corners. There is a part of the pool where I saw many younger kids (infants and toddlers). It mimicked a beach without sand. You could walk into the pool and it got deeper as you walked in. I believe the deepest part of the pool was 4'5"-5'. There are servers walking around if you wanted to order food or drinks. There is also a poolside restaurant. Plenty of restrooms around there. We didn't notice any changing areas. There are also several hot tubs throughout. There is a sand beach volleyball court, a small playground and a firepit spread around the grounds. It's really hard to describe and the hotel website descriptions and pictures do it now justice. One other amenity we used was the laundry room with 3 washers and 3 dryers. It's $1 for detergent. $1 for dryer sheet. $2/load/washer/dryer. There's a folding station and a TV to watch while waiting. The Citron restaurant was good. There is a little ice cream corner which was a fun treat. All kids meals were $10 and they had a decent selection. The JW is next to the Ritz and I spoke with many people that walked around their grounds and had dinner in their restaurants or enjoyed the spa. Lastly, there is a charge for parking (I can't remember the cost) and the internet ($9.99 for 24 hour period).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

JW lives up to its billing as one of Marriott's premier brands, I would prefer to stay in the other Grande Lakes property the Ritz Carlton, but hey on business in Orlando. As you would expect everything about the JW is first class, the staff, room, facilities, bars, etc.. Although I could not get my room as cool as I wanted, but great views from the 21st floor. So I am giving 4 out of 5 mainly because of the aircon and shower which could have done with a new shower head. Overall you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choice is Lake or City View, go for the Lake view as your looking over pool areas and golf course.
US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I recently stayed had a fantastic stay at the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes. This hotel is awesome and beautiful. Our Executive Suite was absolutely wonderful! The suite was very spacious with an exceptionally large and spacious bathroom with plenty of space to move around. The king bed was also exceptionally comfortable with an abundance of high quality pillows. The furniture and room design are all very upscale and high end, which is indicative of a luxury resort. The living room was also very well- designed with a TV, coffee table, and pullout sofa bed. The staff and management were phenomenal. I wanted to recognize Drey in Rooms Control, Jim Burns, the General Manager, and Aaron, the Front Desk Supervisor, for all of their help. They indeed made my stay very memorable. Tommini greeted us in a very courteous manner during check- in and ensured that our stay was special from the start. The housekeepers were all wonderful (especially Barbara and Marie). They were very kind and accommodated any of my housekeeping related requests and requests for extra soaps, shampoos, etc. The maids and turndown attendants do a terrific job of keeping the suite very clean and tidy and replenish the used supplies. The onsite dining options were awesome. I particularly enjoyed dinner at Primo and dinner at Citron. I can say that the JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes has the best onsite hotel restaurants among all of the other hotels I have stayed at. The breakfast buffet at Citron was also wonderful with an assortment of hot items, including bacon, chicken sausage patties, and pork sausage links. The pastries, especially the almond croissants, were terrific. The omelet station was also exceptional. I really enjoyed the Griffin Omelet. The fruit selection was also very nice. Breakfast on my second day at Cafe Bodega was also fabulous. I really liked their pastries. The hotel has plush and beautiful grounds. The scenery is just fantastic. Frank Santana, the lobby concierge, was also exceptionally helpful and kind to me during my stay. Spencer at the Expedia Desk was helpful with out shuttle transportation arrangements. Neil and Beth at the Front Desk were also very helpful. Grant and Bess Collins, Front Desk Supervisor, were also very accommodating and kind. Overall, we had a FABULOUS stay at the JW Marriott Orlando. I will 100% definitely return to this hotel in the future. This is the BEST JW Marriott property. This resort is also the best hotel/ resort in Orlando. Well done, JW Marriott. I have no qualms in recommending this amazing luxurious resort to friends and family.

Room Tip: Executive Suites are just awesome!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
JazzyVazquez, Management Team at JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I will make sure to pass along your kind words to the associates who contributed in making your stay one to remember! We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Management Team
Cleveland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I reserved a conference room and paid them in advance for the room. They have a hidden fee that requires triple the payment if you cancel. So not only did they charge me for the actual room, but because I canceled, they charged me three times the cost. I canceled with ONE MONTH notice. They refused to remove the charge, threatened collection and a lawsuit. They were terrible to deal with. They are connected to the Ritz, where I was supposed to stay and by whom I was referred for a conference room since the Ritz is without a conference room. The Ritz refused to do anything about claiming it was a separate property over which they have no control - which is a lie since the Marriott owns the Ritz. Do not use them. They are uncooperative and have no appreciation for any form of customer service.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. They will cheat you.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I recently stayed here and enjoyed my weekend. The property itself is in great condition and the service is top notch. I didn't rate as a 5 for the simple reason that I personally prefer more contemporary designs. The JW is more traditional in design but by no means is it lacking...it's just personal taste.

The bathroom is big and products are high quality, as you would expect from a JW. The bed was very comfortable and the furnishings were plentiful but did not overpower the room. I liked that there was a full sized couch in the room - very nice to catch a quick nap without messing up the bed.

The property is connected to the Ritz and to the Lakeshore Preserve - both nice properties. I highly recommend grabbing a hammock set in the middle of the beautiful landscaping and just relaxing. The pool is HUGE and tons of fun. Pool bar is also great to grab a drink and quick bite to eat while relaxing.

Overall a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The staff at JW Orlando was amazing! They were friendly, helpful, and accommodating—just like a full service staff should be.

I loved the balcony with a pool view, and even created a small pillow fort epidemic in my area of the hotel.

The only low point of my stay was when a family moved into the room next to me - they were very loud, very early in the morning, but that's not the hotel's fault.

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed four nights for business. Got a king room on the 8th floor. I arrived around noon so my original requested high level floor room was not ready but they were able to quickly accommodate me with the same king room but on a lower floor. That was fine by me. The room was clean and well appointed. The maid service was excellent and the turndown service each evening was a nice touch.

As I was there for a rather large convention the lobby bar was usually very busy but service was still very quick and they always had a smile on their faces.

I did get to try out their pool one morning and was pleasantly surprised by its size and cleanliness. Usually these resorts with large pools have a tough time keeping them clean but the JW did a great job.

Its location is a little far from anything, Universal Studios is about a 20 min drive away and any restaurants you would want to go to offsite are easily about a 15 min drive.

I got convention rate of $195 which I think is reasonable for this hotel; their posted online rates do seem a little high. Considering you would need a car to go anywhere and you would need to tack on a high valet parking rate to your nightly rate it is steep. If you can find a discounted rate go ahead and book it, otherwise I would keep looking. I would definitely stay here again at a discounted rate.

Room Tip: Hallways can be long. Get a room close to the elevator if you don't want to walk too far.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!