“Beautiful Place” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“Beautiful Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

You will love this Hotel. What you pay here is what you get. Beautiful place to stay. Just one issue to be aware: In Hi season and if the hotel is all booked up you could have problems with dinner room services. We had problems trying to have dinner at the room. My wife and kids did not want to go down to the Restaurant so I had to go out for some Pizza (not able to connect by phone with the Hotel Restaurant, Just an answer machine).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view to the swiming pool
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here during spring break (also happened to be the week before Easter) as we traveled to Disney. Great hotel with a fantastic pool area for kids and adults. The onsite restaurants were great....a little pricey, but what you would expect at a Marriott Category 7 hotel.
All the staff we came in contact with were friendly and helpful. We used the shuttles to Epcot and Magic Kingdom which worked well. Only problems were when we stayed for fireworks at Magic Kingdom, there was no way to make it back to Epcot in time for the shuttle, so we ended up taking a taxi for $35. If you are trying to manage costs, you can get a carry-out breakfast at the Cafe Bodega (grab and go) and the pool-side restraurant had a good selection at a slighly better price than their full-service Citron restaurant (which was also delicious). One suggestion, is if you are looking for help with tickets/transporation to the parks, go to the conceirge desk the day/evening before as the line can get long in the mornings. Will definitely return.

Neptune Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were very excited to return to the JW Marriott Grand Lakes as we have stayed there many times and always enjoyed our stays. UNTIL...my young son and I were visiting Orlando for Spring Break. The evening we got to the hotel my son was swimming and hit his head on the side of the pool leaving a two inch gash on the back of his head and pouring blood. We intantly ran to the closest place for help, the cabana. I told the attendent my son needed imediate medical attention, first aid, an EMT, someone! She said she would call for help. Thank goodness there were many hotel guests that ran over to offer assistance. Someone brought me a towel, another brought me a bag of ice, another ran to get my friend, shoes, and phone, and others were talking to my son to keep him calm. Meanwhile, we are still waiting for "help". I continually ask the attendent if help was coming, she said she called "loss prevention" and they were coming. After 15 mintutes, "loss prevention" othrewise known as a security guard shows up to help with his pad and paper. He wanted to write down what happened...? Meanwhile, we are still waiting for medical help. The security officer assured me help was on the way. Another 10 minutes goes by and help arrives!, in the form of a lifeguard, where was she??? Then she proceeds to look at his head and say "EWWW" and shake her head no at me. No meaning, she was no help. Thank goodness another hotel guest, who was a doctor came over and told me to stop waiting and get him to the emergency room. I was falsely under the immpression paramedics were coming...
Thank goodness my son did not have a concussion, it could have been so much worse. Several staples later and he was good to go.
Marriott corporate called me two days later to see if there was a claim. I informed them that I was really upset with the lack of response to such an emergency. I asked for medical help for my son who was obviously in need of immediate attention. I was under the assumption the paramedics had been called...head trauma!!! The corporate office told me it is policy for "loss prevention to be the first response. WHat was he going to do with a pad and pencil? He never even called for a paramedic! We were never even offered a band aid!
I called the hotel to explain the situation, (really surprised no one had called to check on a guest that had been injured on their property) and ask if it is typical that when a child suffers head trauma on their property and the parents ask for medical attention, that child should be made to wait over 25 minutes for the lifeguard to say "EWWW"? A supervisor then told me that they were at 100% capacity and the "cabana" I first went to was not Marriott, but they had contracted the space. Really? Now, are these excuses as to why we waited over 25 minutes for "help". Good thing he didn't drown in the pool!
Lastly, the Director of "Loss Prevention" called me and informed me that although it seemed like a long time to wait, it really wasn't and yelling that I was "wrong" and seemed very "calm" and the life guard said she didn't help him because it had stopped bleeding, very rudely, I might add. Yes, it had stopped bleeding, it took her 25 minutes for her to get to us, of course it stopped! I ended up in tears at the end of his conversation, he had made a very traumatic experience even worse. I wonder if it was his wife and son that waited 25 minutes for "help" would that be acceptable for him? I am truely shocked at the negligence to the safety of a hotel guest, especially a child, and extreme lack of customer service!
Moral of the story, go and enjoy the hotel if you must, it really is beautiful. I pray you do not get hurt because no one will help you especially if they are at 100% capacity. You are on your own!! Guests are under a false sense of security. All they want to do is Cover their [--].

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JazzyVazquez, Manager at JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor. This type of information is crucial to us at it helps us improve our overall operation. I deeply regret the experience you endured during your recent stay, please accept my utmost apology. Additionally, I will send you a private message to further discuss an investigation of the events occurred directly with you. I look forward to the opportunity of speaking with you.

-Management Team
Tervuren, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights over spring break and this 1000 room hotel was fully booked....and it showed. Service at the restaurants, both poolside and in the main hotel struggled to keep up with demand and waits of 45 minutes for lunch and bar sack was the norm. The fantastic pool area was so packed we couldn't get a seat at all. Luckily the ritz Carlton is linked and we spent all our time there, missing the crowds fresh from Disney. However both hotels are in a great setting, have everything you need to have a great stay and we really enjoyed the pool and service at the ritz. To hat end and noting it was spring break, four stars is appropriate. Bottom line is book when quiter and I am sure you will enjoy. Marriott is great for families with younger kids with the lazy river pool ( and disco like music) and he ritz is better for couples and those who prefer quiter background pool music. Normans restaurant in the ritz was a true highlight.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Traveled during Spring Break, staying one night, leaving Easter Sunday. First impression: the Hotel is huge....dominates the skyline. Valet is $25 (there is no free parking). Well kept hotel, great first impression. However, they were not ready for the obvious crush of people they had this past weekend. Rooms were not ready, Front desk had no idea when they would be ready. The woman I spoke to at the front desk was obviously in over her head...harried, stressed, not a good start. Ok, so we checked our bags with the doorman and headed down to the pool to get a drink and a bite, I was pretty stunned buy what I saw. The place was an absolute Zoo. They have a huge pool complex and a "lazy river". The place was absolutely packed with families, kids and inner tubes. Inner tubes, blow-up water toys (giant alligators, Shamu's, you name it), balls flying everywhere. I had my 90yo Mom in tow but she didn't seem to mind too much as we made our way to their poolside bar/restauraunt for a drink. My 13yo son loved the place.

You're on your own here...it was packed. Luckily we found a table and scrounged for some chairs. Nothing much to see here, pretty plain-jane. The drinks were great but pricey @ $14.00 but hey, were on vacation, right? Food...forget it, when a waiter did come over after 20 minutes we were informed that food would take a minimum of 45 minutes. Seriously...thats ridiculous. They're serving hamburgers & french fries for the most part.

After an hour & no call from the front desk, we went back to the lobby where my wife decided to take over. She talked to a very helpful person at the front desk named Olga (not the same person when we first checked in). Explained we had been waiting with our 90yo Mom and really needs a room. Olga was great. She found us rooms close to one another on the 20th floor (apparently they were trying to get us adjoining rooms but housekeeping was slow on the uptake that day. wish I had known that when we first checked in). Rooms were great. Beds great. Bathrooms great, no complaints at all.

Tip: This is not a hotel for older guests. The place is huge and requires a lot of walking. The Ritz, next door is more appropriate for the older crowd.

Biggest complaint except for the snafu at check-in: The Bar/Lounge in the lobby did not open on Easter Sunday until 4PM. You could not get a drink or a snack unless you went for the Easter Buffet at their Restaurant Citron or ventured the 10 minute walk through the crowds, kids & blow-up toys to the impossibly crowded poolside restaurant. No way this should happen at a Hotel this large.

Tip: If it's a holiday weekend and you want a chaise at the pool, get there early. They were virtually gone by 9:30Am. Peeps started staking out spots before daybreak! Plenty of free towels and the pool and lazy river really is quite spectacular.

Also...if you want a more sedate and refined experience, stay next door at the Riitz. You can use either property if staying at one so you can trek on over from the Ritz to use the Marriotts pool, but it is a bit of a hike.

Will I go back? Probably not. This hotel really caters to families with toddlers and pre-teen kids. Teens may enjoy it, but their parents may not.

Room Tip: We had rooms on either side. No different except for the view. 20th floor was great, Very quiet.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Another wonderful weekend at the JW for the Easter holiday weekend. They really do it right with a sunrise service by the lake, 3 Easter egg hunts at 10, 12, and 2 along with the Easter carnival with games, popcorn/contton candy, the Easter bunny, and a petting zoo. This is why we keep coming back year over year.

Now onto the resort itself, the pool area is always the highlight of our stay. Due to cooler weather, the resort had warmed the pool up to a comfortable 80ish degree temp. Great for using the lazy river and cooling off from the sun since it had finally warmed up to 82 this weekend. We will be back for Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. Special thanks to Teddy our favorite bellmen for the popsicles and Bernie Prosperi for his exceptional service and kindness!

See you next month, JW and staff.

Room Tip: request a high floor with a pool view.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Marriott has some great properties and the JW line certainly lives up to that. This is a fantastic hotel which is attached to the Ritz Carlton. Both hotels share convention space in between as well as the spa and fitness center. Although I did not use the Spa, I did use the fitness center which not only had stationary bikes, ellipticals and treadmills, but also rowing machines which I liked.

Ok, let's start with the rooms. They are very nice, very clean and with a seperate shower/tub. Nicely appointed, but a tad on the small side. No big deal for my family of four, but if I had to do over, would probably go for mini or junior suite. Maid service was solid with a nightly turn-down. my only rub with the rooms is that not every one has a safe in it. I like having the ability to lock up ipods,iphones, valuables etc. However, this was not an issue as housekeeping was is very professional, friendly and ethical.

When you walk into this property it actually reminds me of the Royal Towers at the Atlantis in the Bahamas. That same pinkish color and a very similiar look(minus the Bridge Suite). The foyer/entrance is grand and magnificent with plenty of places to sit and relax while waiting to check in or just to chill. Once past check-in their is a great open bar/restaurant which serves sushi and some tapas. Plenty of tv's, chairs, and couches to grab a drink and watch March Madness. Speaking of food, we ate at the outside restaurant Quest which was great for a casual but healthy dinner(salads, fish tacos etc). We also had breakfast at both the other inside restaurants(who's name escapes me) and that was also fantastic. Although the b'fast buffet was a tad pricey, it was included in our package and was great. Lot's of fresh, local and organic ingredients which I love.

Now to the pools and Lazy River-great however the week we were here highs were mostly in the 60s so a tad chilly. Although the pool and Lazy River were heated, air temps still a bit chilly but the kids definitely enjoyed it. In fact, the pool/lazy river is one of the reasons I booked this hotel-I just wish the temps were a bit more pool time friendly.

All in all this is a fantastic upscale hotel that's very family friendly without being stuffy or pretentious. I never had to cringe if my kids were running in the lobby or doing something silly. Great stay.

Room Tip: make sure you ask for a room with a safe-not all of them have 'em.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!