“JW Marriott Review” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Palatka, Florida
“JW Marriott Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

There is no doubt that the JW Marriott is among the most luxurious hotels in Central Florida.

I stayed in this facility for two nights to attend a conference. While Orlando has a plethora of convention hotels, the JW stands out as a luxury option. Nearby locations, such as the Rosen Shingle Creek, are also outstanding and in many ways similar, but seem to lack some of the style of the JW.

The only downsides to the hotel that I noticed were: 1) the sheer size of the facility, it was an extremely long walk from the room to the conference area, but again, it seemed to be less of a distance than at the Shingle Creek. 2) the non-valet self-parking lot was not free. While it is common for Orlando resorts to charge for parking, on a piece of land as large as the JW takes up it seems absurd to charge for self-parking.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

This is a fantastic property, located somewhat in between the airport and Disney. It's an oasis because once you drive through the gates and park, you really don't have to leave. Beautiful grounds with a river pool, plenty of chairs, short walk to the golf course and restaurants galore. Yes, it's pricey, but it's a resort, what did you expect? The Primo restaurant was awesome. We went there 2 nights in a row for dinner. Great wine list and wonderfully prepared cuisine. This particular week there were several conferences going on in their conference center so there were people milling about with badges on. But that didn't affect our experience. Starbucks is conveniently located in the lobby for breakfast but if you want the full breakfast buffet, the Citron Brassiere had an excellent one. Had lunch by the pool twice was good. We stayed on the 18th floor which had a beautiful view of the surrounding area. My only complaint was that the beds were a bit soft for my taste but I would definitely go back to this property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pleasant Grove, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We checked in and were very tired because, it was in the middle of the night. The manager was very helpful and gave us a credit on our account for breakfast the next day at $25 a person x 6. We loved the pool and the rooms were large and clean. We stayed in a top floor that overlooked the pool and had a great view of the Disney fireworks. Our kids loved the place because, they were kid friendly despite the expense on the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I recently went to Orlando with my Husband as he was attending a conference. The stay at the JW Marriott was good. The room was very clean, large bathroom, great amenities and great service. The only negative for the hotel was the noise level - this would have to be the worst experience I have ever experienced at a hotel. If I had my children with me I would have been furious.

We booked this hotel as we like the idea of the balcony, albeit very small - but this allowed us to have fresh air at night (or so we thought!). The building has a curve to it, and the rooms at the back of the hotel overlooked the pool, also overlooked the outdoor restaurant. This restaurant/bar seems to be open until the very early hours of the morning. Every night that we were there, there was a significant amount of noise from this area - so bad that we had to shut the door every night. The shape of the building acted like an amphitheater, therefore the noise just echoed straight up the building. I would have thought that this area would have been shut down by a reasonable time - and those wanting to "party on" should have done so inside. One night it went on well past 1am! So are week away from the children ended up with terrible night sleeps every night.

The other tip I would give is that you need to hire a car in Orlando - the area is so spread out, you cannot walk anywhere, and the shuttles from the hotel do not run regularly. We spent nearly $100 per day on taxis.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the entrance, whilst there may be no view - I imagine the noise would be a...
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

The JW is a sick hotel!! It is connected to the Ritz as well. You can walk to it via a walkwa bridge. There is also a nice golf course on location too.

The rooms are all very large and very nice. Some rooms have balconies but not all so request one and enjoy the view!

The pool is huge with a lazy river, bar and food. There are plenty of lounges and spaces for you to relax. Your better renting a car though bc it's far from a lot of places and a cab from airport is very expensive

There are a lot of food options on resort to. The fitness center is huge with tons of machines and equipment. More like a real gym

You will def be pleased w this resort!

Room Tip: Request balcony
Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Redding, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

OK , I will admit that the facility is lovely, great rooms, nice grounds but be forewarned, it IS a resort property so nothing is a value proposition. The common rooms' including the restaurants are noisy when there is a convention going on and the "free" lobby Internet connection is slow. My pet peeve is any hotel which considers the Internet a profit segment, with no break for Marriott Rewards members.

If you're traveling on vacation be sure to ask about the convention schedule as it will impact your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the back facing rooms - nicer views.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

My conference was at the Ritz Carlton next door, but it was sold out, so I stayed here, and have no regrets. I stayed at the same Ritz a few months ago, and in my opinion, the two are very comparable. The service was impeccable, super fast check-in, extremely clean, very comfortable bed, quality amenities. My room did not feel small at all, but I did not have a balcony. My room overlooked the pool, which was nicer than the Ritz's, and I sure wish I had time to enjoy it. My bathroom had a separate tub and shower, which doesn't matter to me, but another poster commented their room did not, so maybe it was my room style?? Prior to arrival I was disappointed in not being able to stay at the conference venue, but the two hotels are connected through their respective conference centers, and while it was a bit of a walk to get to my conference, I really have no regrets and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: High floors have amazing view!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!