“Meh. The pool/lazy river was nice.” 4 of 5 stars

Weekend Wintervention
Ranked #37 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alabama
“Meh. The pool/lazy river was nice.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Admittedly, I'm a Marriott girl. But I was unimpressed here. Our first impression was not a good one, due to poor signage and difficulty with the parking areas (the gate(s) wouldn't work on more than one occasion, and apparently we weren't the only ones with issues, as they had obviously been rammed through by others!) That aside, the bellstaff was pleasant and welcoming. I went to the front desk area, where there were 4 or 5 ppl behind the desk; there was one other guest there, yet none of the other staff even looked up or acknowledged the fact that I was standing there. I'd say I stood there for about 3 minutes before someone acknowledged my presence. The public areas and rooms were beautifully decorated and clean. However, 2 DOUBLE beds instead of 2 queens?! At a JW???? Really? And not very comfortable double beds, at that. Even my kids complained about the bed size and comfort, and they never complain about beds. The pool/lazy river areas were absolutely gorgeous, though we arrived in the afternoon the first day, and there was quite a bit of trash and towels everywhere, with no one seeming to be around cleaning up. There were plenty of treed, shady areas, as well as sunny areas and umbrellas.
This is a nice hotel, don't get me wrong...but it's not a "complete package". It didn't seem like a JW. The front desk staff didn't seem genuinely welcoming, nor did the girl at the pool bar. They kept screwing things up (charges that weren't ours, keys that wouldn't work for parking, etc). I was glad we were only there for 2 nights. Meh.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
TheRanj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We went to this hotel last fall for a conference and was probably one of the best stays we've ever had at a hotel.

Everything about this hotel speaks elegance as soon as you walk in from the lobby, rooms, food, and other amenities. The pool at this hotel is probably the best I've ever been to outside of the private pools in Vegas...it was a little windy this time of year though but still warm and hit the pool during lunch/after our conference sessions. We switched hotels after the conference to be on-site at Universal, but would highly recommend this hotel although I'm sure it is quite pricey.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Sarasota, Fl.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I just stayed for one night - but it was a great night! We love the pool, and enjoyed sitting out by the pool, drinking margaritas and enjoying the lazy river. We have kids, but this was a "just us" trip, but we're great at tuning out the sounds of kids when they aren't ours. ha. If you don't want to be around a lot of noise, or kids, this might not be the hotel for you. The rooms are nice, and there is a good variety of hotel restaurants, bars, etc... especially since this hotel is connected to a Ritz-Carlton. (So you have the use of restaurants/bars at both hotels.)
Service was slow at the JW pool, whereas it isn't at the Ritz-Carlton pool, so you just have to decide if paying more to stay at the RC is worth it to you. As for us on this particular trip, we didn't mind waiting for our drinks. (In fact, we never could get the attention of a waiter out at the pool, so we always had to get up to get our own drinks, whereas when we have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, the wait staff was always on it!)
One down side to the JW is that the restaurants close early. We went to dine at Primo on a Saturday night a few minutes before 10PM and they wouldn't sit us as they were about to close. We ran to the other restaurant at the JW, and they too wouldnt let us sit down b/c they were about to close. They encouraged us to order take out, and take it to the lobby bar to eat. We did (and they threw in free cookies which was nice) but then the servers at the bar looked down on us for bringing in our own food, and wouldn't wait on us to bring us drinks. (We wanted to order wine to eat with dinner.) When we were done with our food, I was finally able to get the waitress to take my drink order and I apologized for being rude and bringing in food from the restaurant, but explained that is what the restaurant told us to do. She was surprised by this, as she said we could have just ordered food from her. We wish we knew this! Oh well - nonetheless, the JW is a nice hotel, great pool, and close to malls/shopping/theme parks if you want that sort of thing. We would stay again in a heartbeat. Be aware of the spotty service, and the woman near the elevators selling timeshares. Eeek! (Why hotels do this is beyond me?) :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights for a company meeting. The J.W. Marriot shares its grounds with the Ritz Carlton and is a huge compound. The place is quite beautiful with golf club, pool, spa, and a few restaurants. The rooms are a nice size and are comfortable. However, the walls are extremely thin and you can hear everything from the rooms next door and on top of you. Also, there is no ventilation in the bathroom, so if you take a "warm" shower and build up steam, its going to go straight into your room when you open the door leaving everything a bit damp. Just what you need in combination with Florida humidity.
Good sushi bar in the lobby- though look for Gregory to be your waiter. The girls, while beautiful, don't get your order right. The italian restaurant is not quite Italian- its more new american.. The Ritz Golf Club house has a pretty good restaurant. If you want to venture off "campus" do NOT ask the staff for assistance with places to eat. A few of us wanted to get out for lunch and we asked for a nice place where we could eat and have a drink and our only recommendations were Friday's, Applebees, and Olive Garden, until a manager over heard the conversation and came over and suggested that we may want "pretty food" instead...
Overall, a pretty place, beautiful grounds, full amenities. But I would have expected a little more considering it shares everything with a Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

I've had to go to this Marriott several times for company events. The last time I was there was for a girls weekend getaway. The location of this hotel is a little out there. This is on the fringe of some of the recent development so there is not a lot immediately around it. It is very convenient from the airport. I have stayed at the ritz next door and this hotel is much larger, but still has a lot too offer. They charge you for parking but if you stay at a 4 star+ resort that is typical. The ritz carlton spa is actually located in between the 2 properties. You take the long walkway where the convention area is. The ritz spa is fantastic. I would highly recommend. If you don't want to get a treatment you can pay for a day pass. The spa actually has it's own pool, which is very serene. You can order food and drinks there. The pool at the JW is a bit chaotic. The lazy river is fun, but the pool drink service is a bit slow and inconsistent. The rooms at the JW are some of the nicest I have experienced at a Marriott property. It is almost at a ritz level. The bathroom is very large and well appointed with a seperate shower and tub. We had a balcony overlooking the pool which was nice. In regards to food, normans at the ritz (again, you can get to the ritz by walking through the convention space) is excellent....expensive...but excellent. The lobby bar at the JW has a great sushi selection and was pretty good. We enjoyed having cocktails and eating sushi for dinner one night rather than going to one of the restaurants. This is a very nice property that has access to the ritz for some other dining and spa/recreational options. Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel. The lazy river is amazing. The food and service is top notch. We will absolutely be going back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Estero, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I am here, right now, along with my spouse who is attending an educational conference. First, let me say that Marriott needs an updated, user friendly entrance to Grande Lakes. If you are traveling late in the evening, the signs are difficult to see, and it is easy to make a wrong turn into the self-parking area....which will cost you $14.00 per day. Next, if you park at the door to check-in, be prepared to fight off the vultures that want to treat you as if you are severely handicapped....and that you have $$ to blow. We had one bag, and a kid at the door insisted he carry it to the room.....just for a few bucks. Third, the reservation we made months prior to the trip was incorrect. Even with the print-out, which included full-payment and the reservation number, we were told that the reservation was not in our name; it was keyed in as someone else's room. Therefore, we went from a Deluxe, two-bed queen room, looking over the lakes, to a Standard, king bed, looking at the entrance over-hang and the self-service parking lot. Let me continue....there are no vending machines.....anywhere. Only ice machines on each floor. The food at lunch today was over-priced: Caesar chicken salad: $14 and a Cuban sandwich $14. Wow......that's amost the price of a night at Carrabba's. Anyway, I digress......The rooms: Although the rooms look to be updated, they are over-crowded with furniture (king bed, two night stands, armoire (with TV and mini-bar), full-sized desk and rolling chair, a love seat and matching chair, and a coffee table.....all crammed in to 400 sq. ft. If you are looking for pretension, this is your place. However, if you are representive of 95% of the average citizen, find another hotel - one that is cheaper and allows you your own space. When my better half returns from the conference, he wants to go to the fitness room to get in the workout we missed yesterday. We'll surely have to stop at the ATM, first. Misersable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!