“Some good ammeneties but wouldn't stay again” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #167 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Boston, MA
“Some good ammeneties but wouldn't stay again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

Be aware that this is not a hotel, per se, but a time share condo with unsold units renting like hotel rooms. So there's no service that you might expect at a hotel, such as a helpful and courteous front desk, maid service, etc. The lobby is dominated by a bull pen of salemen trying to lure suckers into the time share scam. Just the proximity of this activity bothered me.
Otherwise, the pool areas are very nice. The pools are large and heated and the jacuzzis are large and very hot. The studio room we had was pretty nice, except for the carpet, which was disgusting and torn. There is no place close by for coffee or breakfast, although our room had a coffee maker, frig, microwave, and sink. Still, we had to go out and buy supplies for coffeemaking.
We where in Orlando to bring our daughter to Seaworld and this place is minutes away. Unfortnately, we were there during the time that a lot of southern schools are on Spring Break, so there were a lot of loud, drunk, and unruly teenagers and other young people. We were able to sleep only 1 out of 3 nights. We would stay at a hotel resort next time.

Stayed March 2006

2,835 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2006

We just returned from the Westgate (3/12-3/20). I booked our condo through Hotwire. I read the reviews on Tripadvisor which left me with serious anxiety! It's a big complex but if you're not going to spend much time there it's liveable.

There is not a daily cleaning service (they charge extra for this service). Because of it's size and design there is lots of outside noise (cars, neighbors, etc.). The exterior door we shared with the condo next door so we could hear our neighbors coming and going. If you return from the theme parks late at night you will have trouble finding a parking spot so be prepared to walk a distance to your condo. It is a timeshare property so they will try to get you roped into their sales pitch. I didn't let them escort us to our building upon check-in. I just kept my head down and found it myself. Hope that helps - it's not a place I will stay again (nor will I use Hotwire for future condo reservations) but it didn't ruin our vacation.

• Stayed March 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2006

My husband and I visited my brother and sister-in-law in February while they were vacationing at Westgate Lakes Resort. We spend time at Westgate once a year and we love it! The atmosphere is first-class; the accommodations are clean and fresh; the choice of the many heated swimming pools is refreshing. We always enjoy our stay at Westgate Lakes Resort. We find that the resort is close to all the major parks: DisneyWorld; Universal; Sea World, etc. Not to say the least about the wonderful discount and brand name Malls. We have no complaints...if we did, we would never return as we do each year to enjoy the atmosphere of Westagate Lakes. We can even see the Disney nighttime fireworks from our balcony. What a treat! We highly recommend Westgate Lakes Resort for all those who want an exceptional and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed February 2006
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2006

I for the life of me do not know where the people with the negative reviews of this place come from. We were there 3 weeks this year from Feb 19 thru March 12. This is our 5th straight year going to Westgate Lakes. This year was even better than before and we thought they could not get any better than our last year 3 week sojourn there.

This is not a place to go if you want a quiet retirement kind of setting. This place ia alive and centrally located. You are literally across the street from Sea World, down the street from Universal and up the street from Disney World. We could actually view Disney's evening fireworks from the privacy of our screened in lanaii/balcony/porch, whatever you want to call it.

Like any place that gets used continuously 52 weeks per year by 52 different types of clients, there were some minor maintenance issues that arose. All issues were reported and taken care of in less than 15 minutes. Heck, I can't get a plumber to come to my house for days where I live and here in this place of over 900 units, they address the maintenance issues in 15 minutes. Where I come from, that is PHENOMINAL!!!

The place was clean and spacious. We even got a mid-week cleaning. Now we did not get daily maid service, but realistically speaking who needs it? Whenever we were short on towels or supplies, we called housekeeping and within minutes our needs were met with a check-up call making sure our requests were indeed met.

Having read some of the negative reviews posted here at times, I asked people I met at the various pools (there are 7 and all are heated)what they thought of Westgate Lakes and I FOUND NOBODY WITH A BAD WORD TO SAY ABOUT WESTGATE LAKES. Everybody I met were enjoying themselves and said they were planning on a return trip in the future.

There is so much to do at this resort that if anyone is bored here has to be a boring person. Their new addition is a 18 hole miniature golf course. My grandson loved it. He can't wait to return to play again next year.

There is boating, fishing, tennis, a really small basketball area, shuffle board, an excellent fitness center, arcades, etc... They have a daily schedule of events to keep the kids busy. Some activites are free and others have a nominal fee. One needs to keep in mind most of last year's Orlando visitors certainly must have decided to go to Orlando because of the Mouse. These other activities simply complement the three major theme parcs.

Check-in and check-out was a breeze. Keep in mind there are over 900 units in this resort. 300 or so check-in and out on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Needless to say there has to be a crunch time and if you are unlucky enough to check-in at this crunch time, there has to be a wait of sorts. Fortunately for us, we did not encounter this crunch time (thank God).

We happened to be in a 4BR/4BA unit which can accomodate 16 people comfortably. This unit consists of a 2BR unit with 2 attached studio units. The 2BR sleeps 8 and the studios sleep 4 in each. All units have a jacuzzi, lanaii, fully furnished (except the studio unit does not have a stove), safe, iron and ironing board, cutlery, dishes, etc...

I have stayed in other 5 star resorts and Westgate Lakes is as good as if not better. I would highly recommend Westgate Lakes to fellow travelers who want to stay in a good 5 star resort and don't expect someone to be catering to your every wish as the latter is unrealistic and should be seen as such.

Don't let these negative reviews scarfe you. Go to Westgate Lakes and enjoy yourself. :)

• Stayed February 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

My fiance and I were looking for a nice hotel/resort to stay in during our honeymoon to disney world. I saw that Westgate Lakes were claiming to be a 5 star resort and their prices were surprinsingly affordable. I saw a quote on the internet for $90.10 per night for a one bedroom studio.

So I call up there just to inquire about their rates and immediately I'm asked if we were single or married, between a certain age range (I think it was 25-35), if we made an annual salary of more than $40,000, and if we had major credit and/or debit cards. I've never stayed at a 5-star resort before so I thought these questions were normal.

After this the woman on the phone said she could get me my 7 days and 6 nights for only $249 TOTAL...for both my fiance and I. Then she said she could get me a better deal and before I could say anything she put me on hold and at this time I thought, WOW! What a great deal because I thought I'd be paying somewhere around $600-$700 for the amount of time I was staying.

Then this new woman on the phone (the reservation manager) told me that she'd give me those days and nights for only $199 and then immediately asked for my credit card number. So I told her that I was just checking on the different hotels in the Orlando area for rates so I could talk to my fiance about it when he got off work and she said, "Ma'am, this is not a hotel, this is a five-star resort." So I apologized and she proceeded to ask for my credit card number again!

Then I tell her that I really should ask my fiance about it before I reserve a site without talking to him and she says to me, "If you don't get this great deal now, don't you think your husband will get mad at you when he finds out?" What the heck!?

I tried to end the phone call after that and she kept throwing things in like, give me your credit card number and then call your husband (and he's my fiance...but anyway) and then if he doesn't want to, call me back and I'll refund your card. So I said, why can't I just wait until he gets home and then call you? And she tells me that if I call back, even within 10 minutes, the rooms will ALL be booked up.

I don't believe that for a second. I know that June is a really busy vacation month but I'm calling 3 months in advance. And then after reading all these other reviews about timeshare meetings....it makes me wonder if that's why they asked for all of my credit card/salary/age info in the beginning and why they offered me a deal and then told me that I could get a better deal. They were probably going to ask me to attend some freaky creepy timeshare meeting as soon as I got there and then if I said no, tell me that I agreed to it by taking the better room rate deal.

Anyways, we're not staying there because it reminds us of the SouthPark episode when they go to a Ski Resort and the Managers keep luring the parents into time share meetings and threatening them to buy. Also, the reservation manager was incredibly PUSHY; it was the worse 3 minute phone experience ever.

Stayed March 2006
NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2006

It reminds me a big 5 story housing project with the buildings all right next to one another. Dirty with poor service. Gum stuck to all the walkways, stairways and garbage under all the bushes (cigarette butts, soda cans, paper, etc). Loud RAP music coming from the crowded pools at all hours of the day and night. Rooms were large but very dirty with the bottom of our socks black within seconds. Closet doors and slider door to porch was broken and it took 2 days for them to be repaired (partially). We could go on and on but you get the picture. Never again would we stay at this place. Terrible is being kind.

• Stayed April 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

OK! We just came back after staying a week at Westgate Lakes. Three years ago, we went to a timeshare presentation which we went because of free tickets to the park and the great rates they offered us. The presentation turned into a very aggressive sales presentation. When we told our representative that we were not buying, our troubles began. A manager came and offered even a better deal; I told him “Don’t you people take no for an answer?” He replied by stating to me that I was being arrogant and that only people in this country (Rich Americans) were allowed to arrogant such as rich Americans. I tried to keep my cool as best I could and tried not to lower myself to his level. However, I explained to him that I was going to contact the Better Business Bureau and register a complaint. After this was said, the manager never returned. I was then offered a seven nights as a one time deal without having to buy the timeshare. The price was $595.00. I felt it was a good deal and great price for a spacious room so I took the offer. We bought it and checked in on March 4, 2006. The resort is very appealing. The pools, marina, and water activities are very good. The resort has many activities and amenities including bike rentals, pool parties (free for owners- small fee for guests), and shuttle transportation to Pleasure Island, Karaoke by the pool, a magic show and much more. The rooms are better than average hotels and have a whirlpool inside. The two bedroom suites have a nice Jacuzzi inside the room. However, the carpets need to be replaced because they were worn and dirty. The studio we stayed in came with a nice size television and the two bedroom suite has a big screen television. The down side is that if you take your DVDs you will not be able to watch them. The rooms are equipped with vcr players. Our television in our room had a bit of a problem but overall it worked out. When we checked in that day, I received a phone call from our representative stating she would like to meet. When we met with her, we explained to her that we were not interested in making a purchase. We were there to relax and had been there already for the presentation. We wanted to relax and enjoy the week that we had already paid for in advance. However, this turned into a mission as it always is with Westgate Lake Resorts. Finally, after a long ordeal and many explanations (90 minutes later) we were able to convince them that we were not interested in buying a timeshare. Bottom line, if you do not mind the pressure, and would like free tickets to Orlando attractions, then this presentation is for you. Now if you would like to stay at this nice resort, then try renting it without having to come to timeshare presentation.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!