“Accommodation great but staff not, couldnt manage a please/thankyou/smile between them” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa

15% off room rate
Ranked #174 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
County Durham UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2009

Absolutely great accommodation, but huge complex. could not beleive how many cars were there, totally unsafe for the kids to go out around the complex, you needed 10 pairs of eyes to see who was reversing, who was going in which direction. Resort Golf Carts seemed to be the worst, never looking where they were going, no indicators.
Resort facilities were good, plenty of swimming pools. Room service consisted of making the beds with the same sheets, changing the towels out but nothing else, no cleaning of bathroom areas, no cleaning of floors or kitchen.
The resort is really hand y for Universal and International Drive, only 5 minutes away from Universal, 2 minutes from Sea World.
Could not raise a please or thank you or even a smile from any of the staff we dealt with, even the FUN CLUB staff. Our room overlooked the lake at the quiet end of the resort. They tell you that you cannot check in before 4.00pm, but you can check in at 12.00 if there are rooms available, you can choose which room you want, swimming pool view, lake view, crazy golf view etc I would suggest lake view. The resort is growing fast and the reception area was full of REPS selling Timeshare on a never ending basis. Would probably not go there again for this reason, but accommodation size great for us, 2 adults and 2 kids 11, and 10

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Polish first
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed here for a week! Check in: Amazing! Check out: easy as pie! The room was great, I had requested a room facing lake in a new building, this is exactly what we got. Shuttle buses run every 15 minutes so if you don't want to walk - you don't have to. Pools are everywhere, our 5 and 6 six year olds had a blast! We had to call for service a couple of time, our phone didn't work, remote for tv wasn't working, and staff where at the door within minutes, helpful and nice. I read sooooooo many reviews on this place, good and bad, but I was so impressed. Not one single person approached us about time share. The location is great, 2 minute drive to wal mart, etc. We couldn't find parking one night, when we returned from Disney, but other than that, no problem. I wish we could have stayed longer. The only thing I would change is more restaurants. On vacation I don't want to cook, clean etc, but the Grill House isn't that great, disappointing :( However, the buffet breaky there was pretty good and cheap. All in all, I loved it, the kids loved it and I can't wait to go back. If you are a bit of a princess, perhaps this isn't the place for you, if you like a nice view, nice people, nice pools then this place is for you! Oh yeah, we had cleaning every day, towels changed, beds made, garbage taken out, etc, at no extra charge. Great place,

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We just returned from a weeks stay at Westgate Lakes. All in all we had a positive experience. I would say two things to keep in mind. One- Westgate is a massive operation--timeshare operation for the most part. They bring in many families for "free" stays to hear the timeshare pitch. I did not do the timeshare pitch and they did not push a timeshare pitch on me. My biggest complaint about the stay was the large number of low class people staying there. Westagte checked us in effeciently and everything worked well in the room. Many reviews complain about the lack of english speaking Westagate employees. OK this is true but at least you've been warned, and this is the case with most properties in Orlando. Adios!

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

Just came back from our stay at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa and we are so disappointed. We are owners, and in the past eight years we cannot believe how awful this place has become. Customer Service is non existent, no one answers the phone!! They do not care if you are having problems, and they do not care if you are having a terrible stay. Felt like I was in.. the ghetto, literally. Cannot believe I actually am an owner here, thank god I can trade through Interval and go someplace else becasue I will never stay at Westgate again. The only good thing was the fitness center and the pool over by the restaurant.....which was actually clean. But not heated!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Ky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

I rented what was said a unit with a king bed and a sleeper sofa. HaHaHa what a laugh when we got there. This room was said to sleep four. Well the so called sleeper sofa is a chair that folds out to a twin bed. Try putting a 15 yr old and a 10 yr old on that. It also stated in our reservations that we would have a washer n dryer I sure didn't see one. Well, we suffered one night there cause this place was not what it said it was. It wasn't very clean. Our room had mold on bathroom ceiling. Where it had been patched from a previous water leak. I had trouble sleeping here do to this. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

We had a great time at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We booked through Expedia and got a great deal. We did not have to do a timeshare presentation. We just checked in and went about our vacation for a week. It's in a great location. You aren't stuck in traffic trying to get to your hotel. We were in the 2100 building and had a 2 bed 2 bath villa. It was huge. It had a full kitchen. Our only complaint was that the beds were not comfortable at all. We did not get 1 good night's sleep. We were there for 7 nights. They need new beds and bedding. That's really all that was wrong with the place. I wish the beds were more comfortable. For that reason only, I would not stay there again. If they got new beds I would definitely stay there again. We also ate at the Smokehouse Grill. They supposedly had the best ribs. I don't think so. Our ribs weren't even cooked all the way. The steak was just ok None of us really liked any of our food. We definitely won't be eating at the Smokehouse Grill again. I also read reviews about complaints on the staff. We did not have a problem with any of the staff. They were always very friendly and helpful.

pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

I went with some owners for Bike Week. When we arrived there were 2 things that needed attention. They were repaired within an hour. The resort was clean and the service was spt on. We ate at the Grill and it was also fabulous. I don't know why there is so many bad reviews. I can't think we were just lucky. Parking was a little shy. You better be back by 11:00 pm or bring walking shoes. I had a great time and can't wait until next year.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!