“Good deal but a little lacking on the cleaning and maintenance” 4 of 5 stars

Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   10000 Turkey Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32819   |
Ranked #171 of 329 hotels in Orlando
Norway
“Good deal but a little lacking on the cleaning and maintenance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The rooms look great on the website, not so much in person. The interior looks dated and the flat we had was extremely sparcely decorated.

We were four persons sharing a three unit flat with five beds. We had decent service most of the time and nothing to complain about.

The prices are really cheap and we got what we payed for.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the issues you experienced and for any inconvenience they may have caused. Your review will be shared with management including the housekeeping and maintenance departments. We appreciate that you brought these issues to our attention as we work diligently to resolve them. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

2,583 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Polish first
atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

recently stayed at this resort.at time of check-in my husband was offered 75.00 to watch a time share preview.Told it would only take about an hour.The next day we went to what I would refer to as the cheapest breakfast I have ever had.The guy started out really nice(of course he was trying to get us to buy something)three hour's into our tour my grandson stated he didn't feel well.At this point I told the guy we needed to leave so my g-son could rest.His response was"This isn't over until i say it is"We left and went to our un-air conditioned room.If anyone thinks this is a 4 star clearly you haven't traveled.The room's look like a throw back from the 80's.every thing in it is cheap including the jacuzzi (which did not work)the carpet is from the 70's and looks like it hasn't been cleaned since then.Who in their right mind wold sign on the dotted line to buy a piece of cheap crap when you can stay in a true 4 star for a week at the rate of 70.00 if you book thru an online site.DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read that your stay with us was not satisfactory as you expected and that the tour took longer than they advised you. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help, we hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were in town for a week with our granddaughter's volleyball competition at the convention center. Staff was very friendly from check-in, to maintenance, etc. Restaurant onsite was wonderful. Everything was clean, convenient, and centered close to everything we needed. Having a kitchen in the villa was wonderful. The room decor was a little outdated (looked like we stepped back into the 70's with all the mirrors and blinds), but it was still very, very nice. I would recommend that they take out the old blinds and put in curtains that keep out the street lights at night and the early sunrise light. Other than that, I give this place an A+, and highly recommend. Definitely would come back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We appreciate your review! Thanks so much, it is a real pleasure to know we have succeeded in providing a quality vacation experience that exceeded your expectations. Knowing you enjoyed all our great amenities is wonderful. On behalf of the entire Westgate Team, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back very soon!
Alvarado, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We booked two rooms from owners on ebay....very good experience. We got there at check in time, the total check in took maybe 20 minutes...Moved quickly, just had to tell sales person we were not interested in taking tour...everyone their was nice, friendly and moved fast. The rooms were beautiful and awesome, 3rd floor, with balcony overlooking the lake. We did see an alligator in the lake while there, we spotted him from our balcony, he was close to the bank, where they cook the smores, never did see him bother anyone though. Their is awesome security at the gate, they always met us with a smiling attitude when coming back. Their was plenty of room to move around, nice size kitchen and dining areas, love the HUGE jacuzzi tubs in the master bedrooms. and the showers were also very wide and nice to shower in. The Pools were all awesome, it rained a lot, so most of the bars were always closed because of weather. The staff are great, they always made sure we had plenty of towels, and linens, we also had a washer and dryer in our unit that worked awesome. We cooked a couple of meals in the rooms, all the dishware that you will ever need is furnished. And nice dishwasher to wash everything up, including dish liquid, and dishwasher detergent. The resort is close to dollar stores, walmart, liquor store, strip malls only a few blocks down on Turkey Lake Road very convenient...with all the disney merchandise you could ever wish for at the Wal-Mart....lots cheaper than Disney....for souvenirs...also buy your raincoats at the $1.00 dollar store for rainy weather, the ones at Disney are $8.00 bucks a piece.....We loved our stay, and would love the chance to stay again.....It does NOT feel cheap like some people say....and not unsafe AT ALL, we always felt secure with patrolling by the staff constantly, and everyone we met was very nice, and we made lots of friends there...even the teenagers liked the staff!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are good, depends on whether you would like a view of the lake, or the pool, or wha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We are so very happy to hear you had an amazing time with us at Westgate Lakes Resort and Spa. We are honored that you feel we provide a great vacation! We definitely strive to provide the best amenities and having lots of fun things for our guests to do. Thanks for trusting us with your vacation; we hope we will be on your mind next time you are in town!
Marina del Rey, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was my first time visiting Orlando and staying at a Westgate Resort. I had never heard of Westgate before. I was here for a family reunion and it was probably the most economical place for 100 + family members to stay. This would not have been on my Top 10 list.

When I arrived to check-in, It was total chaos! There was no one present to handle my bags, kids were running all over the place, and I wasn't immediately sure where checkin was. The main entrance to the lobby was not welcoming at all. The first thing you encounter is the VIP desk crowded with people. The checkin is behind and off to the right of the VIP desk. I'm not quite sure why they call it a VIP dest since everyone can use it...

This property has 3000 rooms and is massive! After checking in, I was driven to my room by golf cart and was told that I was in the new building #90. I can't say that I was overjoyed to here this, but I was somewhat pleased, for I had very low expectations. In all honesty, the room was Ok for the price point. There were granite counter tops, Kitchenette, 2 flat screen televisions,rain shower and a screened off balcony. It's a good bargain if you are on a tight budget and want to experience a taste of "luxury." Not my definition of luxury! They allow dogs in the rooms and that's probably why my room smelled like it.

My Gripes-

-If you want breakfast, buffet is the only option and that was a NO GO for me. I had to take a 10 minute shuttle to TGIF Fridays for lunch.
-The cleaning staff ignored the PRIVACY sign placed on my door and decided to enter anyways. When I returned to my room the patio door was left open and my groceries that I had intentionally left on the counter were unpacked and the plastic bags were stuffed in the TOASTER! Crazy!
-I also overheard employees on 2 different occasions talking negatively about the resort and their jobs. Not acceptable!

All in all, Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa is a discount "luxury" resort filled with a lot of kids and people that are not on my socio economic level. There were a lot of ghetto people on the property and at times I didn't feel safe. There was a security issue in my building where about 10 security guards were called to respond. The room next to one of my cousins, people were arguing and fighting all night and kept them awake.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to read that your stay was no as satisfactory as you might have expected, we are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help. We hope you give us another chance to exceed your expectations.
Oakton, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just spent 5 days at this "resort" for a volleyball tournament in Orlando. Our group - 10 players of 16 year olds, with coaches and about 7 families stayed here. This compound has many buildings between Route 4 and the lake. While we all booked under the same group code - we were scattered all over the compound. The chaperone was in one bldg, and the 2 rooms with the players were each in a separate bldg. Most of the bldgs are motel style where by your door opens to an outside hallway. When the chaperone tried to get herself and the girls rooms in the same bldg - management said it could not be done. From a pure business stand point why would you turnover your assets to a group of 16 year olds with no adult oversight? This is even without considering the safely issues. Unbelievable.

I was in bldg 700 which is right next to the highway. When I asked to be a a building deeper in the compound, the front desk supervisor lied and told me that the entire group was going to be in this building. Not the case - just me. I think we ended up with 10 rooms in 7 different buildings. Did not find this out until 9pm the first night and by then it just was not worth trying to move. My front view was of the highway and my balcony view looked at another bldg.

This is some type of time share with "owners" and the rooms are rented out when not in use by them. I am guessing they pay a fee for operational and management services. I saw various room configurations within our group. Best and most consistent quality were the 2 bedroom suites. One BR king suites were nice too. Myself and a couple other parents that were there solo rented the king efficiencies. I was the only one that did not move out of their room after the 1st night. Quality of these seemed to be the most inconsistent. If you can afford it - go with the king suite.

I am a daughter of a fire fighter that grew up camping - so I have no issue with families looking for good value for family vacations, but this place was just skanky. Management does nothing to ensure that the 2 br suites that are set to hold 8, are not overloaded with 12+. I saw no security inside the space - just at the entrances and there were groups of some seriously scarey people walking around. Loud, vulgar language, smoking and drinking in the outside spaces, aggressive mannerisms - felt like I was at an inner city park not by the happiest place on earth. It's been awhile since I have turned by engagement ring to hide the diamond when walking at night - and I felt the need to do that here. Again - I lived in DC for several years and love cities, but the marginal people hanging outside were the majority. Also - how can there be cars with boots on them in the parking lot? That just added to the "in the ghetto" feel.

The pricing for the space is more than fair. After that - you get what you pay for. Even something as silly as providing coffee filters in the rooms. They expect you to buy them. Do I really need to but 50 filters when I will need 4? I have never stayed at a hotel or a condo that does not provide coffee filters. Want to work out - that is an extra charge of $5 per day. The on site market charges usurious prices. Small pool towels are provided in each unit - you need to bring them down to the pool and carry them back - no pool towel service at the pools. Cleaning services were fine although there was a huge hair ball in the corner of the bathroom when I arrived that was till there when I checked out. Quality of bedding and bath towels were good but the bathroom toiletries they provide are as generic as they come and they provide no body lotions.

The atmosphere of this place is just not relaxing. Interstate 4 white noise is a constant. The two main pools - that were close to my bldg were packed and LOUD. The pavilion bldg is LOUD. I drove to the pool behind the BBQ restaurant one morning as it is away from all of the bldgs. This one was nice. Only problem is that they are still trying to sell shares and the sales office is by this pool so they are constantly bringing groups through to show them this pool so you here the sales pitch regularly. Plus I just feel awkward when I am in a bathing suit and groups of folks are coming through in street clothes. But this pool was clean, with a beautiful view of the lake versus a bunch of blgs and they had 80s music playing. There is no bar/food service at this pool though. So this was the one nice thing I found at this resort.

If you can get a 2 BR suite for your family in one of the bldgs away from route 4 - it might be a good option for you. But if you can afford a nicer resort with active management and security, I would spend my money there. This place just felt too unsafe so I did not feel comfortable strolling around after dark. Felling like a prisoner in your room when on vacation is not pleasant.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different resort
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations, your dissatisfactions will be brought up to management. We are working dilegently to make it a better experience and your feedback is of great help. We hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I attended a business conference in Orlando and stayed at the Westgate Lakes. Unfortunately, on the morning of my last day I had a medical emergency and I had to go to the ER and I ended up staying in hospital for a couple of days. Hotel security waited with me whilst the ambulance arrived and were fantastic. They locked my personal valuables in the hotel safe, locked the rest of my stuff in the room and I did not have to worry about a thing. On leaving the hospital, they collected me, brought me back to the hotel and did not even charge me for the 2 days room charges whilst I was in hospital.
These are genuinely caring people. Apart from that, the hotel is excellent too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We appreciate your responses concerning your stay with Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. It is a real pleasure to know we have succeeded in providing a quality vacation experience that exceeded your expectations. Our team members take great pride in providing great service to all our guests. On behalf of the entire Westgate Team, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back very soon!

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!