Just spent 5 days at this "resort" for a volleyball tournament in Orlando. Our group - 10 players of 16 year olds, with coaches and about 7 families stayed here. This compound has many buildings between Route 4 and the lake. While we all booked under the same group code - we were scattered all over the compound. The chaperone was in one bldg, and the 2 rooms with the players were each in a separate bldg. Most of the bldgs are motel style where by your door opens to an outside hallway. When the chaperone tried to get herself and the girls rooms in the same bldg - management said it could not be done. From a pure business stand point why would you turnover your assets to a group of 16 year olds with no adult oversight? This is even without considering the safely issues. Unbelievable.
I was in bldg 700 which is right next to the highway. When I asked to be a a building deeper in the compound, the front desk supervisor lied and told me that the entire group was going to be in this building. Not the case - just me. I think we ended up with 10 rooms in 7 different buildings. Did not find this out until 9pm the first night and by then it just was not worth trying to move. My front view was of the highway and my balcony view looked at another bldg.
This is some type of time share with "owners" and the rooms are rented out when not in use by them. I am guessing they pay a fee for operational and management services. I saw various room configurations within our group. Best and most consistent quality were the 2 bedroom suites. One BR king suites were nice too. Myself and a couple other parents that were there solo rented the king efficiencies. I was the only one that did not move out of their room after the 1st night. Quality of these seemed to be the most inconsistent. If you can afford it - go with the king suite.
I am a daughter of a fire fighter that grew up camping - so I have no issue with families looking for good value for family vacations, but this place was just skanky. Management does nothing to ensure that the 2 br suites that are set to hold 8, are not overloaded with 12+. I saw no security inside the space - just at the entrances and there were groups of some seriously scarey people walking around. Loud, vulgar language, smoking and drinking in the outside spaces, aggressive mannerisms - felt like I was at an inner city park not by the happiest place on earth. It's been awhile since I have turned by engagement ring to hide the diamond when walking at night - and I felt the need to do that here. Again - I lived in DC for several years and love cities, but the marginal people hanging outside were the majority. Also - how can there be cars with boots on them in the parking lot? That just added to the "in the ghetto" feel.
The pricing for the space is more than fair. After that - you get what you pay for. Even something as silly as providing coffee filters in the rooms. They expect you to buy them. Do I really need to but 50 filters when I will need 4? I have never stayed at a hotel or a condo that does not provide coffee filters. Want to work out - that is an extra charge of $5 per day. The on site market charges usurious prices. Small pool towels are provided in each unit - you need to bring them down to the pool and carry them back - no pool towel service at the pools. Cleaning services were fine although there was a huge hair ball in the corner of the bathroom when I arrived that was till there when I checked out. Quality of bedding and bath towels were good but the bathroom toiletries they provide are as generic as they come and they provide no body lotions.
The atmosphere of this place is just not relaxing. Interstate 4 white noise is a constant. The two main pools - that were close to my bldg were packed and LOUD. The pavilion bldg is LOUD. I drove to the pool behind the BBQ restaurant one morning as it is away from all of the bldgs. This one was nice. Only problem is that they are still trying to sell shares and the sales office is by this pool so they are constantly bringing groups through to show them this pool so you here the sales pitch regularly. Plus I just feel awkward when I am in a bathing suit and groups of folks are coming through in street clothes. But this pool was clean, with a beautiful view of the lake versus a bunch of blgs and they had 80s music playing. There is no bar/food service at this pool though. So this was the one nice thing I found at this resort.
If you can get a 2 BR suite for your family in one of the bldgs away from route 4 - it might be a good option for you. But if you can afford a nicer resort with active management and security, I would spend my money there. This place just felt too unsafe so I did not feel comfortable strolling around after dark. Felling like a prisoner in your room when on vacation is not pleasant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa in Orlando, Florida, provides guests all the comforts of a fully furnished home! All villas are non-smoking and range from Studio Villas with kitchenette and large jetted tub that sleep 4 to spacious Four-Bedroom Villas with full kitchen plus two kitchenettes that sleep up to 16, all within minutes of Orlando's world-class theme parks and tourist attractions. With scheduled shuttle service to Disney, Universal, SeaWorld and the Orlando Premium Outlets, 7 pools, full service Serenity Spa, Marketplace, Smokehouse Grill restaurant, Sid's Bistro serving Starbucks, extensive Activities program and lakefront Marina there is sure to be something for everyone. Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa is also pet friendly, allowing one pet under 60 lbs (fees apply). Come enjoy your Orlando vacation in comfort at the Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Budget Places so you can book your Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westgate Lake Resort Spa
- Westgate Resort Orlando
- Westgate Lakes Florida
- Westgate Lakes Hotel Orlando
- Westgate Lake Resort Orlando
- Westgate Hotel Orlando
- Westgate Lakes Orlando