“I don't mind a bargain - but this place felt cheap and unsafe” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #174 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Oakton, Virginia, United States
“I don't mind a bargain - but this place felt cheap and unsafe”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just spent 5 days at this "resort" for a volleyball tournament in Orlando. Our group - 10 players of 16 year olds, with coaches and about 7 families stayed here. This compound has many buildings between Route 4 and the lake. While we all booked under the same group code - we were scattered all over the compound. The chaperone was in one bldg, and the 2 rooms with the players were each in a separate bldg. Most of the bldgs are motel style where by your door opens to an outside hallway. When the chaperone tried to get herself and the girls rooms in the same bldg - management said it could not be done. From a pure business stand point why would you turnover your assets to a group of 16 year olds with no adult oversight? This is even without considering the safely issues. Unbelievable.

I was in bldg 700 which is right next to the highway. When I asked to be a a building deeper in the compound, the front desk supervisor lied and told me that the entire group was going to be in this building. Not the case - just me. I think we ended up with 10 rooms in 7 different buildings. Did not find this out until 9pm the first night and by then it just was not worth trying to move. My front view was of the highway and my balcony view looked at another bldg.

This is some type of time share with "owners" and the rooms are rented out when not in use by them. I am guessing they pay a fee for operational and management services. I saw various room configurations within our group. Best and most consistent quality were the 2 bedroom suites. One BR king suites were nice too. Myself and a couple other parents that were there solo rented the king efficiencies. I was the only one that did not move out of their room after the 1st night. Quality of these seemed to be the most inconsistent. If you can afford it - go with the king suite.

I am a daughter of a fire fighter that grew up camping - so I have no issue with families looking for good value for family vacations, but this place was just skanky. Management does nothing to ensure that the 2 br suites that are set to hold 8, are not overloaded with 12+. I saw no security inside the space - just at the entrances and there were groups of some seriously scarey people walking around. Loud, vulgar language, smoking and drinking in the outside spaces, aggressive mannerisms - felt like I was at an inner city park not by the happiest place on earth. It's been awhile since I have turned by engagement ring to hide the diamond when walking at night - and I felt the need to do that here. Again - I lived in DC for several years and love cities, but the marginal people hanging outside were the majority. Also - how can there be cars with boots on them in the parking lot? That just added to the "in the ghetto" feel.

The pricing for the space is more than fair. After that - you get what you pay for. Even something as silly as providing coffee filters in the rooms. They expect you to buy them. Do I really need to but 50 filters when I will need 4? I have never stayed at a hotel or a condo that does not provide coffee filters. Want to work out - that is an extra charge of $5 per day. The on site market charges usurious prices. Small pool towels are provided in each unit - you need to bring them down to the pool and carry them back - no pool towel service at the pools. Cleaning services were fine although there was a huge hair ball in the corner of the bathroom when I arrived that was till there when I checked out. Quality of bedding and bath towels were good but the bathroom toiletries they provide are as generic as they come and they provide no body lotions.

The atmosphere of this place is just not relaxing. Interstate 4 white noise is a constant. The two main pools - that were close to my bldg were packed and LOUD. The pavilion bldg is LOUD. I drove to the pool behind the BBQ restaurant one morning as it is away from all of the bldgs. This one was nice. Only problem is that they are still trying to sell shares and the sales office is by this pool so they are constantly bringing groups through to show them this pool so you here the sales pitch regularly. Plus I just feel awkward when I am in a bathing suit and groups of folks are coming through in street clothes. But this pool was clean, with a beautiful view of the lake versus a bunch of blgs and they had 80s music playing. There is no bar/food service at this pool though. So this was the one nice thing I found at this resort.

If you can get a 2 BR suite for your family in one of the bldgs away from route 4 - it might be a good option for you. But if you can afford a nicer resort with active management and security, I would spend my money there. This place just felt too unsafe so I did not feel comfortable strolling around after dark. Felling like a prisoner in your room when on vacation is not pleasant.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different resort
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations, your dissatisfactions will be brought up to management. We are working dilegently to make it a better experience and your feedback is of great help. We hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I attended a business conference in Orlando and stayed at the Westgate Lakes. Unfortunately, on the morning of my last day I had a medical emergency and I had to go to the ER and I ended up staying in hospital for a couple of days. Hotel security waited with me whilst the ambulance arrived and were fantastic. They locked my personal valuables in the hotel safe, locked the rest of my stuff in the room and I did not have to worry about a thing. On leaving the hospital, they collected me, brought me back to the hotel and did not even charge me for the 2 days room charges whilst I was in hospital.
These are genuinely caring people. Apart from that, the hotel is excellent too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We appreciate your responses concerning your stay with Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. It is a real pleasure to know we have succeeded in providing a quality vacation experience that exceeded your expectations. Our team members take great pride in providing great service to all our guests. On behalf of the entire Westgate Team, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back very soon!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

It took us almost three hours to get something close to our request. The supervisor has no idea of the rooms location. and the MOD said "a request is just a request".
We asked for the special location when we booked. Another girl on the phone even said that it was our problem because we changed our week. ( for which we had to pay another $150.00).
I always say that Florida is a good place for elderly travelers; everybody is helpful and repect us, until now.

Room Tip: Luck with the front office personnel. They should have more experienced people and better training t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to read that our staff was not too accomodating to make your stay a more pleasant one. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help. We hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have not long returned from here after staying a week from 26th May (thomas cook), location is great, the grounds pools etc were well looked after and the staff courteous and polite, the room (we had a studio) a little dated but clean and daily maid service was good. The resort has a mini bus that circulates the grounds and we used it a few times to visit the restaurant which we found was really nice and again the staff great.All rooms seem to have a balcony which when you have young children is great to be able to sit out on an evening while the children sleep. now the bad points when we had finished checking in at the front desk the girl serving us picked up the phone and said a number which was obviously the sign that she was finished and we were ready to be picked up by a timeshare member of staff which is what happened I asked "what was this all about?" only to be told it was to get a welcome pack, this was a lie it was to offer us a free breakfast in return for a 90 minute presentation at the cost of a refundable 20 dollars, we had been traveling for 20 hours having just arrived with 2 small children and did not appreciate being mislead into signing up for a timeshare presentation. We had to politely but repeatedly say no thank you and that put me off Westgate straight away which is sad because if that hadn't happened I don't think I could have said anything else negative I have been visiting Orlando for over 20 years and I probably would have returned to his resort if the timeshare pressure was removed.You advise on previous posts it is not our intention to harass our guests, so dont!! listen to the feedback from your customers or you will loose theirs and everyone reading these previous visitors comments, custom.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We deeply apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while staying with us. We are a timeshare resort and offer all of our owners and guests the opportunity to participate in one of our timeshare presentations. In return for participating we do offer incentives such as breakfast and discounts. Participation is purely voluntary and our sales team is there to assist you in any way they can in the process of buying a timeshare. We deeply apologize if you and your party were inconvenience in anyway. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we are sorry that we failed you.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I travel quite a bit for my job and since I had to go to Orlando for a Trade Show, thought I would take my wife and let her live a little while I worked. Booked the Westgate thinking it would be fun for her.
We got off to a bad start when it took over an hour to check in and then the appointment setter wanted to hang on to me for a bit too.
Wouldn't have been a big deal, but I was pretty tired as we checked in late, we were hungry, came right from the airport without stopping for dinner, and then while we are parked under the check in awning, the security people started hassling my wife to move our rental car.
REALLY? I had taken the keys with me waited in line to check in and the total reason that I was not back at the car motoring towards our room was because of the staff.
Everytime that we had to deal with the staff it was a hassle and a time suck.
I have owned timeshare in the past and this was the least service oriented TS that I have ever stayed in.
The Parking was difficult, the traffic management was poor (took 10 to 15 minutes to get in or out of the property almost every time) Plus the service personel in golf carts were not only oblivious to the traffic, took up valuable car parking and were in general just in the way.
Did I mention that there were no towel racks in our room, other than for hand towels over the sink which was in a different room than the shower.
Ultimately the room was ok, the screened porch was nice, but I felt like I lost a days worth of my time here, not to mention the aggravation.
Stayed 5 days (3 for business and 2 for pleasure) wish I would have stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to read that your stay was not as satisfactory as expected. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help. We hope you give us anoyher opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My parents are owners and they gave me a week at Westgate so the kids could enjoy Disney/Universal. Check in was pretty quick and the Front Desk agent was friendly. After getting the key, I was directed to a Salesman who I KNOW was going to try to get me to listen to a sales presentation. The only thing that saved me was that my husband didn't come on this trip. Our room was clean, the bed was comfy and the shower was awesome. The Ugly - First, It was loud... I could hear people outside our room every night past midnight, by the pool, by the elevators, outside on their patios. It seems that guests who come here have zero regard for others and mgmt doesn't really do anything about it or encourage guests to be mindful that everyone is close together. The parking situation was a nightmare. Every night we had to drop off the kids and go park the car several units away. One night the A/C unit for an adjoining unit went down and they had to come to our room around 1030pm to be able to get to the A/C unit to fix it. My 3 yr old was sleeping and they brought in a water vacuum to suck up the water that had leaked. VERY LOUD! The maintenance guy apologized but it was very annoying. We were all in our pj's in bed and had to wait for this guy to finish working so we could go to sleep. The other thing I didn't like was that I noticed a $50 charge on my bank account. I called the front office and they said it was a deposit that would be refunded... When I asked when...they said 1-2 weeks AFTER we check out. Really? The place is very close to Universal and Disney, so that is a plus. I'm sure there are other places where you can get better parking and it not be as noisy.

Room Tip: Don't get any rooms near elevators or pools. You won't get any sleep.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We truly appreciate your comments about your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that your check in process went smoothly and that our staff was able to assist you. Please accept our apologies in regard to the parking situation and noise disturbance. The issues encountered by you will be shared with management in order to make sure we are providing the best service we can. We strive to exceed all of our guests’ expectations. We thank you for staying with us and please come back to visit us again in the future!
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We typically stay at another timeshare in Orlando but it was booked. Plenty of issues.
- gave us wrong room type
- blinds allowed people walking down hallway to see in our room
- kitchenette was bad - 30 minutes to boil water
- would not replenish shampoo
- most pools very loud with kids - others had no pool bar
- 2 employees with hygiene issues - didn't wash hands after leaving bathroom - one was greeter as you enter resort
- lots of walking on property
- no towels at pools
- only one restaurant on property
- lots of sales tours going on and golf carts zooming around property

Room Tip: Ask for property in bldgs 80,90,100 so less of a walk to the quiet pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We our sorry to read that we didn't fully meet your expectations and that you had multiple dissatisfactions during your stay. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help. We hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!