“Great Area” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #171 of 329 hotels in Orlando
Laconia, New Hampshire
“Great Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for 5 nights at West gate. The location is great; close to many restaurants and attractions, lots to do. Housekeeping came everyday, offering towels and other necessities. Call ahead if you'd like to make a shuttle reservation, as they fill up quickly. We loved the screened in porch as well as the size of the studio room. Reasonably priced.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your five night stay with us. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us. We are very pleased to know we exceeded your expectations when vacationing at our resort. Our goal is to provide a quality vacation experience at a great value and we are happy to know you feel that way. Thank you for staying at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We hope you return very soon!

2,594 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Polish first
Middletown, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was thrilled to see the great deal I got on this beautiful-looking resort. The problem was the staff, service, and lack of all communication. I will say that the restaurant on site was great, and the 1 bdrm studio was fine too. But all staff there pay attention to the OWNERS not the renters like us. They gave us wrong, misleading information and never really made up for any of the huge mistakes made. Unfortunately, it ruined it for us both. Unless you plan on buying, stay away I say!

Room Tip: Although all rooms may have balconies make sure to get one overlooking water.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us about your vacation at our resort. We are very sorry you were disappointed in your stay, especially if you felt our team members were not accommodating. Rest assured, regardless if you are a hotel guest or one of our many owners, we want everyone to feel welcomed and treated the same way. If you felt any different, we certainly apologize. Thank you again for staying with us. Your feedback has been shared with our management team.
Denny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I got a great deal on this resort from Hotwire so let's get that out of the way first. Given the good value of my deal I scored the resort higher than I would have if I'd paid the rack rate.

Before I get into detail I'd like to sum up and say there isn't anything massively wrong with this place, it's just average compared to Floridays and The Fountains that I've stayed at on I Drive S.

So first the good things; the room was quite large with a safe, kitchenette with fridge, microwave, toaster and no coffee maker. If you are from the UK and get a studio room there will be no facility to boil water for tea. They only have stove kettles so be warned! There is a large corner bath, separate shower cubicle and a closet WC. The resort charges a resort fee of $9.95/day + tax for ALL guests. I was aware of this but many aren't so be aware. This gets you wifi and the like included. The bed is huge and could easily fit four people. The sheets were clean and it was comfortable. Overall the resort was clean and there are seven pool areas so finding a sun bed won't be a problem for you. We were located in block 2400 (room 2434B) and had a fantastic view of the lakes. The scenery is quite spectacular.

Now, on to the negatives. This resort is dated in every aspect. Some modernisation has gone on with replacement flat screen TVs and the like but not much else. Everything is in need of TLC. Our shower temperature was tepid warm and even after I reported it, it wasn't fixed for the duration of our stay. I reported it again on check out. Two wall outlets by the door were damaged in some way as plugging in things resulted in them falling out of the outlet. Towels were either fine or damaged and threadbare. This resort has 1900 rooms and maintenance costs must be an issue as they are not replacing things quickly enough.

The major problem with this resort is parking. Put simply, there is nowhere near enough space for the number of blocks here. If you come here during a peak time, forget about it. We had to park at Joe's Marketplace on three occasions because when we returned at night there was just no space anywhere. It was a regular occurrence to see cars circling looking for a spot. There is nothing the resort can do about this now, but be prepared to circle like a vulture.

Most of the staff are lovely however and really do the best they can for you. My safe wouldn't open and they sent security up within 10 minutes to fix it so that was fantastic. The thing is with Florida, you spend so much time outside the hotel that as long as it's clean it doesn't matter. And this place is clean, just suffering from a dated decor and lack of maintenance.

The location is on Turkey Lake Road so there's a Walmart, liquor store and loads of gas stations, food outlets and easy access to the parks, I Drive and the I4. You are not on I Drive so traffic isn't horrendous constantly which is lovely. To sum up, if you get a deal for this place it is worth it. Do not under any circumstances pay the rack rate on their website however. The resort has the potential to become a great resort but some serious money is required to bring the rooms up to spec first and that will take time.

If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a line. I've tried to be as fair as possible in this review. Overall, would I return? No, as there is too much choice with better facilities. Should they upgrade, I may think about it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments about your visit to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. Positive or negative, the comments we receive from our guests are very important to us. We have made many upgrades to the resort and will be continuing to do so this year. We were pleased you liked our location and found our grounds and landscaping to be spectacular-this is quite a compliment. Knowing you found our team members accommodating and helpful is very import to our operation. This is a busy time of year in Florida-not only were we busy but, as you most likely discovered, it was most everywhere. Thank you for staying with us. We hope you will consider us again when visiting Orlando, Florida.
Ipswich, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Westgate for 4 nights in March 2013. Upon arrival, we were greated by a "host" who showed us where to check in. After check in we were taken by another host to get a "welcome package". She brought us to another desk and we were greeted by a host who proceeded to tell us in detail about the property. He asked us if we would like a tour in the morning but required a $20. deposit to hold our spot (refundable if we showed up). We then realized that he was trying to get us to go on the time share "tour" and we refused, stating we had plans. He continue to strongly advise us to go and we agian said no. He tore up the paper he was filling out and was quite abrupt and said" fine". After traveling most of the day, we did not appreciate this pressure or attitude from this person. We then went to our room which was a studio. The safe in the studio was broken, the shower and carpet were dirty, the faucet in the kitchen sink leaked and was dripping and the room was overall worn. We called to have the safe and faucet fixed and no one came. After two days, of no trash pick up or change of towels, I went to the front desk and asked what their housekeeping policy was and that the safe and faucet were never fixed (we cleaned the shower ourselves). Their response was that we were suppose to put our trash out side our room every morning, no one ever told us this. They did send someone up to fix the safe and faucet and "clean towels" were delivered. We opened the bag of towels and found very stained towels amongst them! The safe was fixed and the faucet leaked worse than before they attempted to fix it, dripping all night! Upon check out, I asked to speak to the manager. I was able to speak to the assistant manager who was very polite and wrote everything down. She also stated that I would hear from either her or the manager later that day with an explanation. I never heard from either one!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sending us your comments on your recent visit to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We are sorry you left our resort disappointed-this is not the way we want our guests to leave. The issues you wrote about should not have happened. However, had you called, we would have responded quickly to resolve the issues such as the safe, water facet, and housekeeping items. Your comments have been shared with our Management Team so we can make the necessary corrections in the way we operate. We apologize if we did not exceed your expectations but hope you will consider us again when visiting Orlando.
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here - the resort is enormous but easy enough to navigate once you get your bearings. The pools were well kept and there always appeared to be sufficient chairs and loungers. We ate once at on-site restaurant but a good selection of reasonable restauarants was within a five or ten minute drive. CLEANLINESS WAS NOT AN ISSUE - our suite was very well maintained. There was some trouble with the DVD player but that was seen to very quickly. But please - owners and their guests are at the resort for a vacation, not a sales pitch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback on your vacation to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. It was great to know you very much enjoyed yourselves and found the resort to be clean and well kept. We were also pleased to read you enjoyed our Smokehouse Grill restaurant and the selections we offer. As you found, our location is just about perfect to everything when visiting Orlando, Florida. We apologize for the issues with the DVD player, but were happy to know it was correct in a quick manner. On behalf of the entire team, thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you back very soon.
Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Westgate Lakes Resort in March 2013. I booked through Travel Zoo for like 79. bucks a night.......the price had me a little concerned, as you can bearly get a cheap motel room for that price. The pics on the website looked great, so we went for it. I have to say, it was a great deal, the resort is very nice and tidy, the staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were very spacious, and for the most part very clean, the balcony was VERY spacious, ours was overlooking the lake, and nicely screened all around. The walk ways in our building to our room was a little unimpressive, could have been a little cleaner.
The pools were awesome, although we could only find one with a bar despite 3 being listed. The shuttle service left something to be desired, but if you weren't in a hurry it was okay.
All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend or to plan another stay at this resort.
As for rating, if I were paying 250.$ a night for this room, I'd probably be more critical, but for 79$, this is definiatly a 4 star resort!

Room Tip: Our balcony was overlooking the lake, we liked that.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We were happy you took advantage of the Travelzoo package we offered. This is just one of the many packages we offer throughout the year for Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We were pleased you found the villa spacious, clean and all the amenities of home. We are sorry you did not find the other pool bar during your visit because many of our guests go to a different pool each day to have some variety during their stay. On behalf of the entire team, thank you for staying with us. We hope you will visit us again when vacationing in Orlando Florida.
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The units are always clean. The beds and furniture are comfortable. It's all full size...Kitchen, bath, beds. The grounds are gorgeous. If you get there during the busiest vacation times you will find delays at check in and low available parking near the units. The staff are quite nice, friendly and efficient. Sales people need to back off though. I am an owner. I stay in the same unit every year unless I change my week. Have been doing so for a long time. They are overdue for refreshing the units, which we noticed on this trip they have started to do.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for responding to us about your recent vacation at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We value your feedback as an owner and will share it with other members of our resort team. We were pleased you found the resort landscaping gorgeous and our team members accommodating and efficient-this is so very important to know. As you know, we are always making improvements and will be renovating even more this year and in the future. Once again, we appreciate the feedback and look forward to your many more great vacations with us!

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!