“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #184 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Ipswich, Massachusetts
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Westgate for 4 nights in March 2013. Upon arrival, we were greated by a "host" who showed us where to check in. After check in we were taken by another host to get a "welcome package". She brought us to another desk and we were greeted by a host who proceeded to tell us in detail about the property. He asked us if we would like a tour in the morning but required a $20. deposit to hold our spot (refundable if we showed up). We then realized that he was trying to get us to go on the time share "tour" and we refused, stating we had plans. He continue to strongly advise us to go and we agian said no. He tore up the paper he was filling out and was quite abrupt and said" fine". After traveling most of the day, we did not appreciate this pressure or attitude from this person. We then went to our room which was a studio. The safe in the studio was broken, the shower and carpet were dirty, the faucet in the kitchen sink leaked and was dripping and the room was overall worn. We called to have the safe and faucet fixed and no one came. After two days, of no trash pick up or change of towels, I went to the front desk and asked what their housekeeping policy was and that the safe and faucet were never fixed (we cleaned the shower ourselves). Their response was that we were suppose to put our trash out side our room every morning, no one ever told us this. They did send someone up to fix the safe and faucet and "clean towels" were delivered. We opened the bag of towels and found very stained towels amongst them! The safe was fixed and the faucet leaked worse than before they attempted to fix it, dripping all night! Upon check out, I asked to speak to the manager. I was able to speak to the assistant manager who was very polite and wrote everything down. She also stated that I would hear from either her or the manager later that day with an explanation. I never heard from either one!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for sending us your comments on your recent visit to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We are sorry you left our resort disappointed-this is not the way we want our guests to leave. The issues you wrote about should not have happened. However, had you called, we would have responded quickly to resolve the issues such as the safe, water facet, and housekeeping items. Your comments have been shared with our Management Team so we can make the necessary corrections in the way we operate. We apologize if we did not exceed your expectations but hope you will consider us again when visiting Orlando.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (707)
  • Polish first
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here - the resort is enormous but easy enough to navigate once you get your bearings. The pools were well kept and there always appeared to be sufficient chairs and loungers. We ate once at on-site restaurant but a good selection of reasonable restauarants was within a five or ten minute drive. CLEANLINESS WAS NOT AN ISSUE - our suite was very well maintained. There was some trouble with the DVD player but that was seen to very quickly. But please - owners and their guests are at the resort for a vacation, not a sales pitch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback on your vacation to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. It was great to know you very much enjoyed yourselves and found the resort to be clean and well kept. We were also pleased to read you enjoyed our Smokehouse Grill restaurant and the selections we offer. As you found, our location is just about perfect to everything when visiting Orlando, Florida. We apologize for the issues with the DVD player, but were happy to know it was correct in a quick manner. On behalf of the entire team, thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you back very soon.
Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband & I stayed at the Westgate Lakes Resort in March 2013. I booked through Travel Zoo for like 79. bucks a night.......the price had me a little concerned, as you can bearly get a cheap motel room for that price. The pics on the website looked great, so we went for it. I have to say, it was a great deal, the resort is very nice and tidy, the staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were very spacious, and for the most part very clean, the balcony was VERY spacious, ours was overlooking the lake, and nicely screened all around. The walk ways in our building to our room was a little unimpressive, could have been a little cleaner.
The pools were awesome, although we could only find one with a bar despite 3 being listed. The shuttle service left something to be desired, but if you weren't in a hurry it was okay.
All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend or to plan another stay at this resort.
As for rating, if I were paying 250.$ a night for this room, I'd probably be more critical, but for 79$, this is definiatly a 4 star resort!

Room Tip: Our balcony was overlooking the lake, we liked that.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. We were happy you took advantage of the Travelzoo package we offered. This is just one of the many packages we offer throughout the year for Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We were pleased you found the villa spacious, clean and all the amenities of home. We are sorry you did not find the other pool bar during your visit because many of our guests go to a different pool each day to have some variety during their stay. On behalf of the entire team, thank you for staying with us. We hope you will visit us again when vacationing in Orlando Florida.
Stamford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The units are always clean. The beds and furniture are comfortable. It's all full size...Kitchen, bath, beds. The grounds are gorgeous. If you get there during the busiest vacation times you will find delays at check in and low available parking near the units. The staff are quite nice, friendly and efficient. Sales people need to back off though. I am an owner. I stay in the same unit every year unless I change my week. Have been doing so for a long time. They are overdue for refreshing the units, which we noticed on this trip they have started to do.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for responding to us about your recent vacation at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We value your feedback as an owner and will share it with other members of our resort team. We were pleased you found the resort landscaping gorgeous and our team members accommodating and efficient-this is so very important to know. As you know, we are always making improvements and will be renovating even more this year and in the future. Once again, we appreciate the feedback and look forward to your many more great vacations with us!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had high hopes for this resort, given the beautiful pictures on the website and that it's technically considered a 4-star resort. After a long day at Universal I was looking forward to relaxing with my family with some room service in a nice room. Check-in wasn't that bad however I did wait about 20-30 min in line and then was forced to listen to a guy try to get me to sign up for their time share presentation. We drove to our room and first thing we noticed is that there is NOT enough parking. Parking is a huge problem. We get to our room and open the door and I wanted to cry. It was like stepping into 1980 miami vice...everything was old and dingey. The shower door actually had black mold growing on it. The room smelled like lysol. I thought we were getting a nice condo with enough beds for my family of four. The kids had to sleep on an old leather green pullout couch...the couch must've been 25 years old at least. I tried to call the front desk to complain and nobody answered. I called several times and the phone just kept ringing. I then tried to call for room service and nobody answered there either. I had to call at least 5 times before somebody picked up and they said it would be an hour for food. We then had to go pick-up food and risk losing our precious parking spot. The second night we were there, we were about to fall asleep and all of sudden our room filled with the smell of fried onions and garlic. It was literally coming in through the vents...a neighbor must've been cooking. At check-out I complained to the front desk about the mold in the shower...the girl just looked at me, ignored my comment and told me I was all-set. We would never recommend this place to anyone and would never stay here again. The pictures you see on the internet ARE NOT what you will get.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your visit to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We apologize if you were not pleased with your accommodations and our resort. Your comments will be shared with our management team so they can address the issues you brought to our attention. Positive or negative, our guests' comments are of the utmost value to us so we know how we are graded. Thank you again.
White Plains
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I am an owner at westgate resorts in Florida. STAY AWAY from these people, they are a rip off. They offer you things and they are NOT free. Once they have you wheel it's over. Maintenance and taxes goes UP every year, customer relations are the worse people to deal with. They NEVER live up to what they say. The resorts are all dirty, moldy, nasty and they do not clean the rooms property. This resort is not even worth owning or staying at. I regret spending my good earned money with these people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for you feedback on your trip to Westgate Resorts. As an owner, your opinions are very important to us and we are sorry you feel the way you do. Your comments will be passed on to our management team to review. Once again, thank you for your response.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We are here for a week. When we arrived we couldn't check in. It took them two hours to get a room/villa us and it was old dirty and dusty. "We will call in 15-20 min" i complain. "Inspection just about done we will call in 15 min". Two hours! Talked with every dept, lots of empty promises not until I called our time share company did anything get done. Wi-Fi is always at maximum and can't be used. Staying in a two star hotel would be better. Do not buy a time share here! Rooms are 1st come first serve. People mob in at 4:00 to get the best rooms. Don't exchange for here! Much better options very close. I warned you! Call any dept and you will be on hold untill you get tired of waiting and hang up. Run away!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your comments about your visit to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa. We are sorry we did not meet your expectations when staying with us. Due to high occupancy, we can not always check guests into their villas prior to check in at 4:00 PM. We will do everything possible to get them checked in, but sometimes it is just not possible, and we apologize if this was the case. Rest assured, your comments will be reviewed by our management team so they are aware of your feedback.

Been to Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!