“Good value family holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios

Save Saved
You added Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios to your Saves list
Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5893 American Way, Orlando, FL 32819 (Florida Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early - Save 15%
Ranked #19 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good value family holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Overall we had a very enjoyable stay at Homewood suites during our visit to Orlando. The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times and the hotel was always clean. The room was fine for a family of four though was a little cramped when the sofa bed was made up for the kids.

It was good to have breakfast and some evening meals (Monday to Thursday) included within the price though I felt the quality could have been slight better. In particular I wasn't keen on the polystyrene plates and plastic cutlery. However, I accept these comments may be down to my expectations of breakfast based on what is normally served in Europe. There is no bar in the hotel, though the bar in the Garden Inn hotel over the road could be used and re-charged to the room

The location was good, particularly for Universal Studios, Aquatica and Sea World (there was a free shuttle bus to all these), but a rental car is required for the Disney Parks which are a bit further away (note parking is free at Homewood Suites, unlike some other hotels).

All-in-all a good value hotel for a family holiday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Keith B, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Pedersenrider,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding your visit. Your kind remarks about the cleanliness of the hotel and overall housekeeping service are greatly appreciated. I apologize for the use of foam plates during your visit and we have moved away from this practice now that we have replaced the dishwasher in the kitchen allowing my staff to keep up with the china service. We know you have hundreds of hotel options in Orlando and I really appreciate that you chose our hotel for your visit. We do hope to see you again when you return to the area.

804 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
H.B., California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here over spring break. We were looking for the extra space to spread out after a long day at the theme parks. It worked out perfectly. A little kitchen to store snacks, heat up left overs were all we used the kitchen for. But you could cook full meals if you wanted to. They had all the basic utensiles and place settings ready for you to use. They didn't have dish soap or dishwashing liquid. I had to ask housekeeping for that. Minor thing to ask for. I ended up not using it at all. We never used the utensils they had in the kitchen.

Our bathroom could of use updating, but it still was just fine for its purpose. The hotel staff went beyond what was expected to ensure everyone enjoyed themselves or had time to eat. We always ate breakfast later in the morning. The staff would keep the kitchen open until everyone had a chance to complete their meals. That was nice. They were always cleaning, stocking, and taking care of guests needs. We were never around during their free dinners, so I can't comment on that.

The pool looked small, but that's ok their sister property next door seemed to have a larger pool and a pool side bar. Although we never went in either pool, we did stop bye and look at it. Your very close to restaurants, shops, etc.

They were sold out while we were there, parking was never an issue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Keith B, General Manager at Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear cmego,
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. Thank you for taking your time to write a comprehensive review about our Homewood Suites. I especially appreciate your kind remarks about the helpfulness of my staff and how my breakfast team was especially accommodating. I know they all enjoy going above and beyond to make everyone's stay enjoyable. We know you have hundreds of hotel options in Orlando and I am grateful that you chose us. Thank you and we hope to see you again when you return to our city.

Westwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We have stayed at this Homewood Suites 2 years in a row for our family spring break trip to Universal Studios and Sea World. It is a GREAT value with the complimentary breakfast. The shuttle to the parks are also very convenient. If you really wanted to, you could walk to Universal Studios from the hotel. The staff at the desk and in the kitchen are extremely friendly and helpful. Check in and check out were a breeze. The kids always enjoy the breakfast with the make-your-own waffles! There is a Walmart close by if you want to stock up your kitchen.

The only reason I gave this property a 4 instead of a 5 is because I feel like it is in need of an update. Not a complete overhaul, but a few things (cabinets, chair covers, shower curtains) could be updated.

We will definitely stay at this hotel again when we go to Universal or Sea World.

Dear IC,
Thank you for your complimentary review of our Homewood Suites. We are very pleased that you chose our hotel for a second visit to Orlando and look forward to many more to come. We continue to complete ongoing property improvements and will be replacing the remainder of our guestroom carpets in the next month or so. We will also be converting to new bedding in the second half of this year and into 2014. Thank you for choosing us again and we look forward to having you back to see these upgrades.

Warm Reghards,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We traveled on business April 10 and stayed three nights. During check in two staff members were free and both assisted in the procedure. Gave us a lot of information. Great team work.

The staff always had a smile, greeted us every time we walked in. They made us feel like VIP's. The woman that checked us in greeted us by name two days later. I am impressed!!

The rooms were clean, fresh and spacious. A separate bedroom, large convenient washroom, with so many towels and one artistically shaped in a duck (Thank You!!!!), a living room and kitchenette fully equipped. Sheets and pillows were good. The air conditioner worked well. Plenty of parking. The wifi always worked everywhere in the hotel.

Breakfast provided free daily, and dinner from Monday to Thursday including beer and wine free. Yes beer and wine all you can drink free. The staff managing this area were always greeting and asking if all is well and willing to accommodate. The tables were cleaned promptly. Free coffee station all day.

Overall this is great hotel, works well for business travel as well.

Again the staff were helpful pleasant, and worth commendations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear TouristTraveler59,
Thank you so much for your glowing review of our Homewood Suites and my staff. I know they truly enjoy serving our guests and it is always nice to have the opportunity to share comments such as yours with my team. It was a pleasure to have you visit with us and we do hope to see you and your family again in the near future.

Western NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed 6 nights, the week after Easter, at this wonderful property. The rooms were clean and everything from the bedding to the wallpaper seemed recently refurbished. The beds were very comfortable. We were in room 323, next to the elevator at the far end of the hall from the lobby. I worried that we would hear the squeaking elevator or nearby ice machine, but didn't from the bedroom. What I did hear all night long was the sound of the ventilation system from the 1st floor below us. I believe it was the cooling system for the housekeeping laundry area. It might not bother many, but I'm a light sleeper and could hear it even while using earplugs.

I can't say enough about the wonderful staff. Any problem or concern was handled immediately. Best of all, a phone call was made from the the desk to check that everything was satisfactory.

Breakfast was served from 7-10am. Scrambled eggs were available every day, as were: cereal, whole fruit, juice, skim and 2% milk, oatmeal, breads, and pastries. Other items that were rotated were: make your own waffles, bacon, sausage, and hash. Coffee and tea were available 24 hours a day along with flavored creamers. Complimentary dinner was served from 5-7 pm Monday thru Thursday. The menu is on the refrigerator in the room. In addition to the items listed on the menu, we saw salad and sometimes other items. Two kinds of wine and draft Budweiser beer are also set out. A family without picky eaters could easily pay for the room by eating breakfast and dinner at the hotel nightly! I've attached a sample dinner menu in the photos. The Hilton Garden Inn located steps away has a restaurant serving breakfast and dinners that can be charged to your room. We had dinner there one night and the salmon was outstanding! The tiki bar there opens a 4pm and also allows room charges.

The pool has 4 new cabanas that offer much needed shade for the fair skinned among us. Each has a fan and light. There are also numerous table umbrellas. The Hilton Garden Inn pool is bigger and also has cabanas and umbrellas.

Shopping service: we didn't use this but I asked for the details before leaving. If you drop off your shopping list to the front desk in the morning, the manager will purchase your groceries at the local Publix grocery store and deliver them to your room, putting away the cold items if you aren't home. Best of all- there is no charge except for the cost of the items purchased! We brought a cooler of essentials with us, but next time I might just let someone else do the shopping :)

A representative from Universal is in the lobby each morning from 6:45- 12:00. You can buy your tickets there to skip the line at the park and also reserve a seat on the free shuttle.

The workout room is open 24 hours a day. Treadmills, elliptical and recumbent bike each have a tv, so bring your earbuds. There is a sports court beside the pool for basketball and tennis that is open until 10pm.

Complimentary Internet access was consistent and reliable.
Ice machines are on both ends of each floor, a soda machine is also available on each floor.
Coin operated washer and dryer were located in the middle of the third floor, and possibly elsewhere.

We didn't have a car so we used the I-Ride Trolly. The fare is 1.50 each way- exact change only. The driver will pass by a stop if you don't pull the yellow cord to signal. The day this happened to us it was crowded and we were standing. I hadn't even noticed the yellow cord and we ended up going 2 stops farther than planned. The driver offered us a transfer to go back but we could see a shopping plaza with TJMaxx, so we just shopped our way back down International Dr. Multi-day Trolly passes are available for purchase, possibly even at the hotel. The trolly stop is at the end of American Way. There is plenty to walk to: mini golf where you can feed the alligators, IHOP, Walgreen's, etc.

Room Tip: Odd number/pool view rooms will be quieter away from the highway. Even numbered rooms will allow you...
Dear eml44,
We are also so glad you chose us for your visit to Orlando! We know you have hundreds of hotel options and I am happy to know that my team did a great job in taking care of your needs. We do a lot to keep up with the maintenance of our hotel, but the people serving my guests are what truly sets one hotel apart from others. Thank you so much for your review so I can share your comments with my team. When you return to Orlando, we hope you are able to consider us as your home away from home.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our family stayed here for spring break (visit to Universal Studios). The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is great for families - one bedroom suite with a kitchen, full breakfast, weeknight dinners, free shuttle to theme park. The only downside was the bathroom could use some updating. Otherwise, the room was clean and housekeeping did a great job.

Dear Rita D,
Thank you so much for your review of our Homewood Suites. I am happy to hear that you found my staff to be especially helpful and friendly as I know we/they truly enjoy going the extra mile to make our guests feel welcome and appreciated. With all of the hundreds of hotel options available in Orlando, thank you for choosing us! We hope to see you again on your next visit.

Warm Regards,
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Clean hotel, clean rooms especially sheets, towels and bathroom. Even the pull out was fairly comfortable and clean. Rooms are a good size and the hotel was not noisy inside or out.
Breakfast was free and hot and plentiful. Coffee was hot and strong. Will come again our next trip!

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor on the pool side which is farther from the road and the noise.
Dear Renea718,
Thank you for sharing your kind remarks regarding your visit with our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I especially appreciate your kind remarks about the work of my Housekeeping and Food Service teams. The sleeper sofas have been a special focus for us as well. Since they are used frequently by our guests, we have been investing in the best quality sleeper sofa mattresses we can find and the results have been well-received. Again, thank you for choosing our Homewood Suites and we look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Warm Regards,
Keith Beears

Been to Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios? Share your experiences!