“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios

You added Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios to your Saves list
Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios
Certificate of Excellence 2014
North Carolina
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel over the Christmas holidays, along with our teenaged son and our adult daughter. The suite was quite spacious, and having two queen beds plus a sofabed made it possible for all of us to share one room rather than booking two rooms at another hotel. The sitting area was comfortable for relaxing at the end of the day. We also utilized this area when we opened Christmas gifts. Although we did not cook while we were there, the refrigerator was great for storing drinks and snacks. The bathroom sink and vanity was separate from the rest of the bathroom which was helpful when four of us were preparing to leave in the morning, and the doors between the bedroom and living area provided plenty of privacy for us to change clothes. The hot breakfast each morning saved both money and time. The menu varied, but there was always sausage or bacon, scrambled eggs, toast, bagels, juice, and cereal. In addition, some mornings there were pancakes or Belgian waffles, donuts, and muffins. The breakfast area in the lobby was quite large, but when necessary, the staff opened an adjacent meeting room so that everyone could sit down. We only returned from the parks early enough to have a light dinner there one evening, but it was quite nice. They served a salad, chicken gumbo, chips and salsa, and rice pudding. The menu for the evening meals was posted on the refrigerator in our room. The pool and hot tub area were clean and well-maintained. We used one of the computers in the business center to book tickets to Blue Man Group. Although there were renovations in progress, we were never disturbed by noise. The location of the hotel is quite convenient to Universal Studios and Sea World. It took us about 20 minutes in the morning to get to Disney World. The only real problems that we encountered were that the route to reach I-4 to go to Disney World was rather convoluted and the traffic on International Drive was often gridlocked. However, we would still stay at his hotel again.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The location
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Shoreline CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

I used trip advisor before I booked this stay, I am glad that I did, the infomation that you all left was helpful. The hotel is nice for a family vacation, as it has two seperate rooms (the more space the better, when with the family)! I must say that I have stayed at other Homewood Suites, and all of them have had larger suites than this hotel. Tips that I have to offer are as follows: Eat a big free breakfast to hold you over before heading out (I think this is worth about 30 bucks for a family of 4). Treat the family to a nice, healthy lunch during the day, and use the "managers reception" food from 5-7 Monday-Thursday as a hold over before bedtime.
I travel a lot for my job, and do not like eating out every meal. It was nice to have the option of cooking a healthy meal for my family, and did so a couple of nights. Another tip that I have to offer is that in the same parking lot, Hilton owns another property, a Hilton Garden Inn. The pool and hot tub are much nicer there, and they have bar service and food service at the pool (unlike the Homewood). Because both properties are owned by Hilton, they make it clear that as a guest of Homewood, you are welcome to use the other Hilton pools and guest services, take advantage of it. At a rate of 114.00 per night, with two meals included for the 4 of us, I think that this hotel was a STEAL, please book with confidence. You might want to request a pool view room, as a busy highway is on the other side.

• Liked — Meals included
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

We chose this hotel because of previous stay (Jan 2007) which was excellent in every way so we looked forward to a repeat performance this time however one member of staff ensured that it was not to be.

I booked a non smoking king size room, specifically chosen to meet our requirements. There were other (some cheaper) options available at the time however this was our specific choice.

On arrival at check in I was immediately informed by Maddy that I wouldn't be getting what I had asked for (her precise words). When I questioned the reason for this the response was that people don't always get what they ask for and nothing is guaranteed- Homewood only offer requests no guarantees at all. The best I could be offered was a queen size room and it might have to be a smoking room. Needless to say I pointed out that not only was this totally unacceptable but I had paid for a specific room and that was what I expected. I asked why these rooms were available to book if they didn't exist and why upon checking my reservation confirmation online some 4 days earlier did it state that I had a smoking king size room. Maddy's response to this was that things often have to be changed depending on what is a priority and that sometimes someone has to be unlucky.

To keep a very long story short we had to take the room as we were told we would be billed if we cancelled the reservation. The "manager" wasn't available at any time during the 4 days we were there but I'm in no way finished with Hilton on this case yet.

There are a number of positives for this hotel however I'm not going to mention them because they were completely negated by the aggressive, obnoxious individual whom I encountered at the front desk. Book these Homewood Suites at your own risk - - you may find yourself being told to sleep in a bathtub - after all as Maddy says remember nothing is guaranteed, only requested!

• Disliked — Maddy
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kenner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Great location for Universal Studios and Wet & Wild. They mention a shuttle to Universal, but it only runs a few times a day. We were told it was about a 20 minute walk, but we drove anyway. Wet & Wild is right across (busy) street.

The rooms are great. One bedroom (2 double beds), TV and enough room to walk around comfortably. Toilet/tub separate from sink and mirror, so easy for group to get ready at same time. Separate room with desk, TV, recliner and sofabed - attached to nice kitchen. Full sized refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, dishwasher, sink with disposer, table and 4 chairs, 4 sets of dishes, a few pans, etc. This was VERY comfortable for the 5 of us.

Staff was helpful and cheerful.

Pool was outdoor and not heated (during a cold snap - we didn't use it).

Breakfast was the best I've ever seen at a complimentary breakfast hotel - eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, donuts, rolls, bagels, biscuits and gravy, fresh fruit, coffee, tea and 3 kinds of juice. We weren't back to the hotel in time to take part in any of the evening activities or food offerings.

I will definitely keep this place in mind for our next trip to Orlando.

• Liked — the spacious rooms
  • Disliked — pool wasn't heated - but probably most of the time in Florida it doesn't need to be
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sherwood Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

We booked this hotel based on all the excellent reviews and we were not disappointed. The hotel is a bit hard to find due to a couple of reasons. There is very poor road signs and it's not on a main road . This can actually work to your advantage if you do not like the traffic.
Our check in and check out were flawless. The hotel staff were all very pleasant. Our room (King Suite) was enormous and very clean. The kitchen in the room had everything you could require and came with a full size refrigerator. The bathroom was massive with twin sinks.
The breakfast was your standard "buffet" food....nothing special, but it was free.
We used the free internet in the lobby several times and it was very convenient. They also have a gym and games room, plus an outdoor pool which we did not use.
The hotel is literally 3 minutes by car to the gates of Universal studios. You could probably walk there in 10 minutes.
All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again for sure.

• Liked — The room was fantastic
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2007

Stayed here from 9th to 19th December with my husband and 7 year old son. Were here for 5 nights last December also. As before we found the rooms were great. Loads of room and the most comfortable beds you could ask for. The breakfast was great and we made the Managers reception a few times and the food was more than enough to save you having to go out for dinner after a busy day at the parks. All the staff were great. Only downside is that is a bit of a journey to Disney. Our holiday was 3 weeks in total and because we loved it here so much last year we decided to stay here for the first part of our trip whilst we hit the parks. Great for Universal but you definitely have to have a car for Disney. Saying that, you soon forgot about the drive once you were back in your nice room. My son swam every day except one when the temp dropped to 60 degrees. The second part of our trip was at Disney Saratoga Springs where we spent 8 nights. Also given that 5 stars but then we did pay more than double. Homewood cost us $104 a night booking direct with Hilton. Was also able to get one night free using points. All in all a great stay, just wish they were located at Lake Beuna Vista instead.

• Liked — The rooms are just fantastic for the price
  • Disliked — Location, too far from Disney but great for Universal and Sea World
Burton, Mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2007

Great Hotel~ it is not frilly, but you get a great value for the money!

They offered all guests a complimentary full breakfast's each and every morning! Besides that, each evening Monday -Thursday, they offered a main course dinner with salad, including free beverages for 2 hours! What a wonderful perk! We all were full after each meal. We spent no money on food at all Monday-Thursday because of this added benefit!

The pool was large, but outside, so if the weather wasn't cooperative and warm enough to swim, you wouldn't use it! Same for the hot tub. The hot tub, is a 6-8 person model.

I would definately go back and stay there!

• Liked — Location with free shuttles to parks~ and the Free food and drinks!
  • Disliked — Pool~ should be indoors so weather isn't an issue.
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Homewood Suites Orlando-Nearest to Universal Studios? Share your experiences!