“Use the safes! And stay somewhere else!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Universal Studios Area

You added Quality Inn Universal Studios Area to your Saves list
Quality Inn Universal Studios Area
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6101 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32819 (Formerly Comfort Inn Universal Studios Area)   |
Ranked #301 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
“Use the safes! And stay somewhere else!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my family, have just returned from a 2 week stay at The Quality Inn Universal (not good quality), we had money stolen from both our rooms, on the first occasion, I reported it to Reception, who sent a guy called Rick up to investigate, he was helpful and made a report, and advised the Manager would contact me the next day, she didn't and when I did manage to speak to her (Dee) she advised the hotel wasn't liable, I explained that I accepted this, but it was still her responsibility to deal with staff that were stealing from the rooms, nothing was done and a couple of days later more money went missing from my husband's jeans. The hotel is very shabby and the towels had holes in them and we're hand towels.

The hotel also had a group of 40 plus, school children staying there, who were running about the corridors at 12 midnight, if I had wanted this I would of stayed at a YMCA! Booked through Cosmos and have already written a letter including photos of some of the health and safety issues. I have stayed at loads of hotels, villas, tavernas etc and this is by far the worst, I have stayed at! Wi Fi didnt work most of time, and although the breakfast isn't too bad, it is so busy, it's a bit of a free for all! Coffee/Tea that is advertised is always empty, and as someone else mentioned beds are never changed.

On the plus side, I didn't see any cockroaches! Shuttle bus drivers are excellent, especially Terry (and his singing), Jimmy on Reception was the only helpful member of the team, ideal location for International Drive and for getting to parks, shop is good, although as expected a little pricey. Guest Services who book park tickets and issue tickets for shuttles were helpful and polite.

• Stayed October 2012
Dee M, General Manager at Quality Inn Universal Studios Area, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
I would like to apologize for the situation you experienced during your recent stay at Quality Inn Universal Studios. I can certainly understand and appreciate your concerns.

We want all of our guests to have the best stay possible where everything is clean, in-place, of the highest quality, and in perfect working order. I am sorry that was not the case during your stay. You
can be confident that we have followed-up on all of your concerns with our Maintenance, Housekeeping and the upper management Staff so that others are not disappointed as you were.

Please know that the situation you described are not to our standards, and sincerely hope that you will return to allow us to prove that to you once again.

I thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts and I apologize again for your situation. You are valued as our guest and your concerns are most welcomed. Please do not hesitate to call me or anyone on my staff to further assist you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Really bad room, smells of damp me and my son couldn't sleep whole night as the room was full of damp smell, found one unexpected visitor in the room ( cockroach ), asked reception to change the room and was told sorry ware fully booked.
Fridge in the room is full of rust and smell. Carpet not clean, etc etc
And the most funny thing is in breakfast room staff refuse o give more than 2 tiny little sausages what a joke?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

we stayed at this hotel on a cosmos/ monarch holiday. We were in room 436. this block of the hotel was furthest from the hotel and appeared to be reserved for truckers stopping over. As 2 ladies travelling together I found this a little unnerving. The room was badly in need of redecoration. The headboard on one of the beds had fallen off the wall and was only propped up behind the mattress, the plastic around the sink was cracked, the wardrobe door had obviously previosly fallen off and been removed and the bath was partially blocked and took ages to drain. The cover on the bathroom light swirch was broken and the sealant around the bath was discoloured. On the plus side there was a fridge and microwave in the room, and it was reasonably clean, although the rooms on the ground floor had a problem with cockroachs as my daughter and I saw people evicting them from their rooms on a couple of occasions. There was breakfast provided and this appeared to be simple but adequate. I wonder about their way of allocating rooms. As I have said we booked through cosmos, my cousin booked independantly (she travelled down from Canada to meet us) Her room was 202 nearer the hotel and in a much better condition although it still looked as if it had been painted in the dark and had a large discoloured area around the top of the wall which looked like a border had been removed at some point. Didn't see much of the staff as we prefer not to have the cleaning staff in every day, putting our bin out instead (altough this did get nicked! in the second week! ) The attitude of the receptionist was very off putting on arrival, we appeared to be interrupting her busy day. We found if we were leaving our room during the day it was diffucult to get the lift. I think this was due to cleaning staff "holding" them for their trollies, but not very convenient for guests. On several occasions there was no ice available in the block on any floor. Overall I agree with the review by scotteach. I have stayed in numerous hotels around the International Drive area and this one was the worst.

Room Tip: Possibly rooms nearest the main hotel are in better condition
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We found the location was great. The shuttle to Universal was useful. Breakfast had several hot and cold choices. The room was large enough but very dated and dark. It was clean though which was most important to us as we only here for one night waiting for check in at the Hilton the next day. The staff was ok. They did not seem to handle stress well with multiple complaints concerning the broken elevator. Just a budget hotel, not much to say about it as nothing stood out either way. The cost was fair for what they offer, but charging a resort fee for just an outdoor pool was annoying. Not sure if we would stay there again as there are so many other choices and it was just average for what we paid.

Room Tip: third floor has less traffic and quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Yes, I knew I booked the cheapest package they do, but I have holidayed all over the US (6 multi centre trips staying in a variety of accommodation in the last 5 years) and I have never stayed in such a horrible room - can actually review two rooms as thankfully we visited Miami and Key West for a few days. Normally bad reviews are exaggerated as American standards tend to be better then the UK, however in this case believe what you read. My last break in the US I stayed in a ski dorm - it was a palace in comparison to this hotel.

The Good -
Reception area is fine
Warm welcome from concierge - not reception staff, though they were efficient
Jerry "B for Best" was a great bus driver on the free shuttle to universal
Breakfast - fine, typical American budget chain, but go before 8am before the crowds
Old beds that had new mattress toppers so they were comfortable
Clean sheets,
Safe - electronic
Wet and Wild is walkable - I refused to sunbath or get in the hotel pool
Free parking, crowne plaza over the road charges £10 a day!! But it does have the closet bar to the hotel.
No roaches spotted thank god- it looks like that kind of place
Good shower pressure and plenty hot water

The Bad
Room on 4th floor had water damage on ceiling, a pretty big depression that had been popped but looked likely it could collapse
Loved my flip flops, would not stand on the stained carpet
The blankets on the beds were not fresh - covered in hairs
The top throws were also stained, frayed and had burst seams
Felt a bit unsafe, the safety catch on the door had been forcibly snapped, did not see any security guards but did see the crime prevention cop cars in twice
Furniture very old and worn
Tv ancient, few decent channels, numbers worn off remote
Wifi never worked in room, sometimes worked in reception
Lifts very old, the certification of safety on the one closest to reception was more than a year out of date
Location is actually poor for walking to international drive as it's close to the end that's becoming very run down
We decided to 'rough it' and not complain at the time to the hotel or tour operator although we probably should have. There were very few British / American tourists. However the hotel was full and popular with large coach tour groups from South America. If you have saved hard for a trip to Orlando you will be disappointed with this accommodation. I would also not stay at this hotel with young children - you would not be able to put them down. I do not think monarch / cosmos should have this hotel on their books. If you have already booked, ask to change, I.d have been prepared to spend a little more knowing what I do now. On leaving I bumped into a depressed looking guy who had just arrived, he asked me what I thought of the hotel, before I could answer he said "it's a s&&& hole isn't it, my wife is crying in the room". Probably sums the place up perfectly.

Room Tip: If you save money by staying here, treat yourself to lovely meals at Bonefish, Fogo De Chao and Tu T...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wirral, uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Perfectly located hotel with great ammeninties, good sized rooms, powerful shower and most importantly very clean! Its not the Hilton but great value for money, 10 min walk from Universal and 5 min from International drive.

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks from 6th to 19th October. This was our 4th visit to florida in the last 2 years (first stay at this hotel)..

On check in we where given room 439, a kingsized room at the far side of the hotel facing the pool. On the walk to the room I did feel a little nervious after reading some previous reviews and to be fair, the rooms dont look too great from the outside!

Opening the door I can honestly say I was very plesently suprised! The room was spacious, clean and tidy. There was a large kingsized bed, fair sized bathroom and a small sofa with coffee table (Came in very useful if you chose to have a lazy night and dont want to eat pizza in bed!)

The room also had tea/coffee, microwave, fridge/freezer,safe, towels and ample amount of pillows.

We went out most days and returned to a fresh made bed, clean towels and the room given a quick tidy over.

To begin with I was a bit gutted to be at the far side of the hotel but it actually ment that we had nobody passing us and resulted in it being lovely and quiet! we didnt hear a thing in the whole two weeks!

The Pool area is ideal for a nice chill out at the end of the day and yes - it could use a bit of a paint job but its not awful!

The hotel offers free shuttles to Universal, Sea world and Aquatica. This comes in really useful and saves you walking although its really not far to Universal!

Breakfast is free - You get sausage, bacon, egg, waffles, pancakes, cereal, toast, fruit and yoghurt! it gets a little busy but im not really sure what else you could want from a free breakfast!

Overall I would say this is an ideal hotel for those on a budget but not wanting to go too far out from the theme parks. A great holiday had at a bargain price! x

Room Tip: Take a lap top - WIFI is free and if you dont want to watch tv you can down load a movie or show fo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for two weeks it started off they didn't have our booking took around 30 mins to find us on there system. Front desk lady apparently the manager not the most helpful of people when dealing with that. Then we get to our room smells damp and after a few days clothes felt damp too. Anyways we had our room cleaned one day we forgot to put our holiday money in our room safe thinking it would be ok we return to find it missing wasn't a small amount of money either let me tell you. So I go to the front desk to report the matter again helpful manager lady basically blanked me while tapping away on the computer so I ask for the police number she gives me one miles away and there not open weekends but anyways that's another story. We have to go to the local police station which isn't miles away infact just up the road to report it but the police said the hotel should have done so. We haven't had any apology from the hotel or a cleaning manager come to see us about the missing money very poor service. The hotel in a whole needs money spending on it to up date it the pool is shabby at best it's clean but shabby the free breakfast is well poor we had for two days didn't bother after that.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Quality Inn Universal Studios Area? Share your experiences!