“Very Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #121 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Columbia, SC
“Very Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2008

I stayed at the Rosen for 8 nights as part of a conference from April 26- May 4. Though I arrived at 8:30 a.m., they were able to have me in my room by 10:00 (check-in is 4:00 pm, so don't expect to get in early, I was lucky I guess!), and that with a large group of cheerleaders and a band group leaving the same day. I had a double bed room, which was comfortable. The beds were very comfortable. I would not want to share the double with someone though, as it is small compared to a queen, unless you are used to a double. There was also a desk and chair and nice lounge chair in the room. There was a coffee pot, iron and board, safe, hairdryer. There was internet access, for a fee. I think there were free hotspots throughout the hotel though. I didn't take my laptop, so cannot comment on those. There were also internet kiosks in the hotel, I did not use them.

The bathroom was nice. The sink was outside in a separate area. There was also a large shelf in the bathroom itself, where you can keep personal items. Amenities included shampoo, soap (2 types), conditioner and lotion.

The staff I encountered were all very friendly and accomodating. The bellhop was extrmemely helpful as my key would not work when we first went to the room. He took care of everything. He also picked up trash that apparently, some of the kids had left in the elevator and apologized for it being there, though certainly not his or hotel's fault.

The housekeeping staff were very good and friendly.

The Matisse staff were for the most part friendly. Some in our party did have a bad experience with one waitress, but when the manager overheard them talking about it the next day, he took care of them very nicely.

There was a 24 hour market where you can buy all sorts of items to eat, etc. They had a microwave and microwavable items for sale. It was a little expensive, about what you would expect in a hotel shop. I recommend taking your own snacks if possible as you will pay about double for them in this shop. We mostly ate at the Matisse restaurant for lunch. They had a la carte items as well as buffets for all 3 meals. lunch was about 12.95, dinner 16.95 and breakfast, around 10.95 (there was a coupon in room for the buffets). As a note, it is less expensive to buy sodas/water from the vending machines on the guest room halls (maybe I shouldn't say this, they may go up now!). I think they were ~$1.00 as opposed to ~$1.75 in market shop.

There was also a gift shop and fitness center, which I did not use. The outdoor pool was nice and towels are available out there. There are also tables around the pool area. There seemed to be plenty of chairs, but it was not a peak time either.

There are many restaurants and shops within walking distance. There is also a trolley stop right in front of and across the street from the hotel, depending on which direction you want to go. I did ride it my last evening, to the outlets. I could see how it could get overcrowded during busy times of the year and how you might have to keep waiting on trolleys to find one with space. It was $1.00 per ride or you can purchase passes for 3 or more days if you plan to ride it a lot. The hotel also offers transportation to some sights, such as Universal and Seaworld, but I am not sure if there was a charge.

We did have time to go to Seaworld for about a half day and I highly recommend it if you like the aquatic. I wish we had more time. The shows were excellent. It was very clean there and plenty to do. If you pay for a regular ticket (no discounted/free pass ones), when you get ready to leave, you can go to guest services and get a ticket to come back another day thay week, for free. I do advise checking the inside of boxes if you purchase anything. I bought a picture frame and upon taking it out of the box back home, found it was cracked in two places.

We also walked across the street and ate at Tommy Bahamas one evening, very nice but expensive for what you get in my opinion (very small portion/serving) and I don't eat much, am petite. The side items are large enough for about 4-6 people however. Which, if no one else wants to share that, is also a waste of money. The waitress and hostess were very nice however. We also ate at an Italian restaurant in the same complex, at the other end and it was very good, and a little less expensive. It was very crowded and a wait for us, so apparently popular. I cannot remember the name however! It is the only Italian one in that shopping complex/area. There were also numerous other restaurants and some fast food to the left & right of the hotel, on both sides of the street.

You can purchase trolley tickets and tickets to attractions at the desk in the lobby. You can also arrange for airport transportation as well.

The hotel was very nice, if this is the price range hotel you prefer. There were some families there. It is a good location, if you are not driving and don't have a car. It is between Universal and Seaworld. Wonderworks is about a block away. I had no complaints or concerns witht his hotel.

• Liked — Comfortable beds, location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — room rate
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
hamilton scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

Don,t beleive all the negative reviews about this hotel,the are so wrong. When you first see this hotel you will see for yourselves.Its location is fantastic,you do not need a car as transport to the Universal parks is free.Well located for great restaurants(The Olive Garden) ,among many others.The hotel also has its very own Starbucks which is good first thing in the morning.The pool is very well laid out for sunbathing , some days you can have it to yourselves as this is a Confrence hotel.I could write here all day but i would have writers cramp.It is a sefe place to stay with a family .

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not enough storage
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
northern ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon last year. I cant believe the bad reviews I am reading. we found the hotel to be clean, great value, friendly and it met our needs perfectly. We had stayed the previous year at the Rosen center and apart from it being a bigger hotel it was pretty much exactly the same. I would recommend the Rosen Plaza and we are in fact going back in September this year.

• Liked — comfort, pool, location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

Having just retruned from this hotel was there April 14th - 25th. I have to say I was concerned when I read the other reviews. Well all I can say is that they must have stayed in a different hotel. because this was excellent. The hotel is very well located, for all the parks and shopping, very clean and the staff were very helpful and polite. The room was a good size it was me, my husband and daughter. I would have no hesitate ti staying here again or recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Its location and the fact that it was very well kept
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

We stayed here after a last minute change in plans. We only paid 1/5 of the regular rate through Hotwire. I was very pleased overall. For the price of an economy hotel we were able to stay at a very nice place. I had no complaints about the rooms. No bugs or stains. The beds were very nice. The pool, restaurants, gift shop, and lobby area were also very nice. We had an excellent breakfast one morning by room service that was very reasonably priced. Like others noted, internet access is $10 per day, but there are so many free hotspots in the area it wasn't a problem. The International Drive area is very nice. Many things to do and many restaurants. Assuming I could stay here for the same price, I wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brasilia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. An okay hotel, large rooms. But a bit out of the way, in international drive, far from the parks in Orlando. Also, this is a very busy road, at night it gets very crowded and the traffic is disturbing. The people at the front desk were not helpful when we arrived an hour before the check in time, treating us like we were stupid for getting there early.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madison
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

I had a very disappointing stay at the Rosen Plaza hotel in February of 2008. I was in town for a healthcare IT conference, HIMSS. My previous time in Orlando I had stayed elsewhere and had a much better experience. Here are my primary complaints about my stay at the Rosen Plaza.

1. Cigarette ash in the safe in a supposedly non-smoking hotel.

2. A variety of stains on the walls and door of the bathroom.

3. Intolerable noise in our third floor room from the disco on the first floor. In addition to the pounding music, we could hear people standing outside the disco talking loudly as they went outside for a smoke. We moved to the ninth floor the next day.

4. Although our ninth floor room was quieter than the third floor room, we could still hear the bass from the disco until about 2:30 AM every night. No apparent action was taken by the staff to correct the situation despite repeated calls down to the front desk asking them to solve the problem.

5. When we checked out, we asked for a partial refund given that the noise was a problem throughout our stay. They said that they had no record of us having called them.

6. The staff was friendly, but ultimately ineffectual in meeting our needs.

I stayed at this hotel because my company booked it as part of the conference I attended. I would not intentionally stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness, unacceptable noise from disco, lack of issue tracking, and lack of responsiveness of staff in handling problems.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rosen Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!