“Excellent stay Orlando Cypress Pointe Grand Villas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cypress Pointe Resort

You added Cypress Pointe Resort to your Saves list
Cypress Pointe Resort
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   8651 Treasure Cay Ln, Orlando, FL 32836 (Formerly Sunterra)   |
Ranked #11 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Orlando
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay Orlando Cypress Pointe Grand Villas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

First time i have used website (homeaway.com) and can only say very very impressed! Had a great updated two bedroom arpartment which was excellent as i have a 16 year old son! the Cypress Gardens Grand Villas were oustanding in everything from customer service to the facilities. I raised an issue as the air con unit batteries went dead, within 5 minutes a knock at the door and service resumed by a great on site services team. We have already recommended this to friends who are going next year. Its 10 minutes from Disney, the I4 expressway and International drive.
The apartment was fully equipped with all mod cons and right down to washing powder, dishwasher tablets and towels for both pool and the great onsuite facilities. This is at least equivalent to any four star in Orlando if not better. Note that there are two parts the pointe and the Grand Villas the pictures are often of the Volcano pool; which you can use; but is at the Point across the road!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony overlooking the pool in the Grand Villas
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I spent 7 nights at Cypress Pointe Resort from 9/29/12 through 10/06/12. We have stayed at quite a few hotels and resorts, and we have seen some nice places as well as bad. We really enjoyed our stay at this resort and would recommend it to anyone visiting the Orlando area.

Cypress Pointe Resorts and The Grand Villas are owned by separate companies, but you can use the amenities from both resorts. I will point out the good things as well as the bad things that I experienced.

Pools - There is one pool at Cypress Pointe (Volcano), and there are two pools at The Grande Villas which are upkept very well. Depending what unit you are staying in at Cypress it is a 5 minute walk to get to the other pools. The higher the building number (1 to 9) the closer you are to Grand Villas.

Rooms - We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit in building #2 which was very clean and the unit was updated. If you are in this building ask for the lake view (pond) since the only other view in this building in the parking lot. The only issues we had with the room was the TV died and the room thermastat was turned to high (Maintenace sets the temp). Each time we reported the issues maintenance was there to fix it within 15 minutes. The beds were very comfortable.

Amenities - The activity center is located at Grand Villas and most activities take place over in that resort. The mini golf is also located at the Grand Villas and they do not charge for playing the 9 hole course. Most of the activities also take place at the Grand Villas. So if you plan to participate in the activities you will need to walk over to that resort which is not to far. Shuffleboard and basketball court is located in Cypress Pointe.

Grounds - The grounds at both resorts are very clean and kept up pretty well. There is construction at the front of the lobby building at Cypress Pointe which does not look so appealing, but at least that means they are making updates to the grounds and the units.

Location - Depending what you plan to do in Orlando, Cypress Pointe is a short ride/walk to Downtown Disney which means that access do DisneyWorld is not far away. It is about a 20 minute ride to Universal in I-4, 15 minute drive to SeaWorld, and a 10 minute drive to International Drive. Kissimmee is also a 10 minute drive. I found that it was centrally located for what we wanted to do, but it does depend on where you plan to spend most of your time. Personally I would rather stay at a nice resort and drive a little bit more for the parks, then stay at an average resort and be closer to the parks.

All in all I would recommend this resort. I would not say that this is the nicest resort we have ever stayed at, but everything at this resort met our needs. We did not run into any major issues, and were able to keep busy while being close to the parks and dinner shows we wanted to visit. Please email me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: Request an updated room. Building 2 and 4 are updated, but I don't know about the other buildin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was a really good place for a family of four plus grandma. Everything is big in USA, but we were surpiced how «even bigger» this place was. Lots of room and space, smart room solution. The kitchen was open and really smart for serving bigger groups. One nice detail is that everyone can reach the room directly from outside, since the stairs are «outside» of the building.

Room Tip: We saw only our own room, so I have little insight in other rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very disappointed in this location. So much confusion reigns with construction, detachment from the facilities and property at Grande Villas (across the street), and non-English speaking employees.

Checked in at the front desk for a two-week stay and was advised that my first week had been booked with the sister property across the street. Not a good start to this vacation. However, the Grande Villas (sister property) were far superior to this one and I'd stay there again in a second ... but that's another review.

Start at the front door of the Mangrove Building. The lock didn't work. Inside, the chain lock was broken. The bolt worked fine on this 2-bedroom, and the bolt to the adjoining studio (if you wanted to get a 3-bedroom) was fine.

Kitchen area was adequate. Oddly, the fridge froze the bottled water and everything on the top shelf, but the ice-maker in the freezer did not work. Was nice to have a dining table for four; however, you have to pull the table into the middle of the room in order for everyone to be able to sit around it. Nice starter kit is provided, with a few dishwashing packets, a laundry soap packet, some dish soap, and some plastic garbage bags. Standard stuff for any decent time share.

Living room. Very VERY old (read: used and soft and broken down) furniture. I was so unnerved by its obvious old life span that I pulled a spare sheet and covered the furniture. Was afraid to sit on it for fear of catching something! TV had the old surround-sound speakers (remember those big boxes that were on the floor, in the corners, and suspended from the ceiling? well, that's the surround-sound system in the unit).

Master Bedroom. Nice size and has room to move around, but there's really no place to store your luggage. There are potted plastic plants everywhere, which we promptly put on the balcony. Yes, there's a small balcony with a table and 4 plastic chairs that is accessible from both the master bedroom and the living room. But in order to get to the sliding glass door from the living room, you must move the chair and couch and crawl behind the potted tree. We had a problem with the alarm clock, as it would not allow an alarm to be set. After nearly an hour, the front desk sent up a gentleman who handed us another clock radio (that worked). We requested a wake-up call, just in case!

Master bathroom. Has a large glassed-in shower stall type with decent water pressure. Could fit two people in it if you wanted. Jacuzzi was horribly dirty. Yes, it looked squeaky clean on cursory evaluation, but you know it's awful when you fill it up and the gunk bubbles on the surface and makes a tangible film on the water. This is not uncommon with jacuzzis in the rooms, but there appeared not to even have any semblance of cleaning before us. We ran water and dish soap through it, rinsed it, and still couldn't get the tan colored gunk. So, the jacuzzi became a repository for suitcases (since they would have become soaked if we left them on the patio, given that it rains in the afternoons in Orlando).

2nd Bedroom. Very small. Ottoman doubled as a night stand. The TV is an LCD screen mounted to the wall. Was handy, but we didn't go there to watch TV. No closet to speak of, because the armoire was only half sized so longer hanging items needed to go in the master bedroom's closet.

2nd Bathroom. Standard, with a porcelain bathtub and plastic curtain. No counter or shelf for storing/stashing any toiletries.

Positive comment: there is under-counter lighting in the main area and in the master bathroom that is very handy and helpful.

The pool is nice, and the fact that you can go across the street and use the sister property is wonderful. Go to their whale pool for warmer water and a dozen-person jacuzzi/spa. The facility across the street has a mini golf range that you can putt putt for free, and there are daily activities by their whale pool. Or, use the cute pool with water coming out of the volcano and the water slide here for the kiddies. There is a small coffee/bar where you can buy a beer or a java, plus a nuked sandwich. Better yet ... go around the corner to the grocery store and stock up.

Room Tip: If you absolutely MUST stay here and get a great deal, go upstairs. The tile floors mean that everyo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oranjestad, Aruba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Have just stayed for three weeks, the new reception area opened whilst we were there. Checked in within ten minutes and we never looked back. We stayed at the grandvillas although the room we stayed in has yet to be upgraded. Having said that everything worked, rooms were cleaned thoroughly and towels changed and supplied for the pool areas. The pools are open until 11pm and very clean. Games room is fun and tennis courts excellent. Parking is not an issue. Supermarkets are three minutes drive and there are an abundance of eateries, pharmacies and general shops
Very central as Disney is ten minutes away, Seaworld ten minutes and Universal twenty minutes away
Staff are friendly and helpful. Wifi is an issue and hopefully this will be addressed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
KINGSPORT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have stayed in the Grand Villas section before and loved it so when they were booked for the dates I wanted I booked at Cypress pointe Resort expecting a similar experience. I couldn't have been more wrong. First, the carpet in the third bedroom was soaked and water was on the tiles in the entry way. I did not notice this until after carrying everything in. I slid on the slippery tile. I wiped it up and continued to put away food in the kitchen but when I went to get the luggage I realized how bad the water problem was. I immediately called the front desk. They sent security. Security didn't know what was wrong so they brought towels and gave them to me to put on the floor. The men were very nice but unable to fix the problem. They later brought a very loud blower to dry the carpet. We had to completely close off that room due to the noise and smell. We were unable to use the second bedroom across the hall for the same reasons although the floor in there was not wet. They left the towels and blower for a couple of days and sent people in and out but decided it was probably just a problem with the a/c. We had a 3 bedroom condo with only one usable bedroom and multiple interruptions. Management had not contacted us or offered to relocate us to another unit. The wifi was intermittant, the whirlpool tub didn't work, no hot water 1 day but maintenence fixed immediately. Even with all this mess, The night before we were planning to check out, I asked if they had any availabilty at the resort for an additional night as we had dealt with a couple of late morning starts due to the maintenence issues and a week of stormy weather and wanted to stay in the area an extra day. I really wasn't that interested in the resort but didn't want to spend the extra time to pack and unpack. Checking out there and in somewhere else would take too much time. The desk clerk told me they had plenty of availability but to reserve online. I could not get it to go through online and there was no answer at the number listed so I packed everything and tried again the next morning. The number was a west coast number so there was no answer that early so I called the front desk again. Instead of helping me the clerk on duty interrupted me and said I could have a late check out. I told him I needed to know something and asked for the mgr. He said he would leave a message for him to call me. I called again later that morning and told them I needed to know what to do as we had an appt. for a timeshare tour made there at the resort and I would need to cancel if we couldn't get reservations settled before as the appt was for 9:30. He again said I could have a late check out for 1:00. I had not wanted to do a tour but the man who booked us had made all sorts of promises to my son at the pool the night before and I fianlly agreed. We went for the tour (awful-we had been promised a character breakfast buffet, free park tickets and $100 but there was no characters then the sales rep actually got mad when we said we didn't feel like we could trust the company after our experience and were not interested. When we told him we were concerned that the tour was well over the agreed time and we were late to get back to the resort he actually just left us.We had to walk a very long way back to find our car)The mgr. had never called so we went back to the unit and carried everything outside. We then loaded the car since we wanted to be sure to get out on time. One of the security guards who had come to check on the leak the first night, stopped to talk with us and even helped me carry my cooler and a suitcase down the stairs. I looked at the time just as we got on the highway and it was 1:10. I was very disappointed to not even get a call from the mgr. as requested but decided not to deal with it anymore and wanted to get on to the park and just drive towards home that night and rent a room. I was shocked to later be charged a whole night for the condo. When I called to asked about it the clerk who answered said the late check out was usually just until 11 not 1 and that I must have misunderstood. It was frustrating as we had gone ahead and packed and could have loaded the car that morning had we not thought we had the later checkout and were still hoping to stay in Orlando another night. He suggested I talk with the manager as he might refund the charge. I have called numerous times and written a letter but still not talked with management. I may have misunderstood the clerk about the time but I am still frustrated that with all the problems we had that week I have not had any contact with any mgr. I had thought maybe they would discount the condo or just charge us for the 1 bedroom unit for the last night. As it turns out, I tried to rent and never did so I moved out but paid anyway?????So frustrating -absolute worst communication. It has been 3 months and I still haven't had a call about the wet carpet.....The location is great but the service was terrible.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ticonderoga, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

My family and friends have been staying at Cypress Pointe for years. We have stayed at both areas. We have stayed in 2 and 3 bedroom units in both also, depending on how many are in our party. The staff is awesome, the units are really nice too. The 1 bedroom lockoff is really set up for a couple that wants a hotel room with nice amenities. The 2bdrm unit has everything you need. Living room with connected dining area. Kitchen with dishwasher, full sized fridge and stove and all the extras too. All dishes, pots and pans, silverware etc. is there for you to use. They also have a washer and dryer. They have a screened in patio with a table and chairs. You do not get daily housekeeping as you would in a regular hotel. But this is standard for all timeshare type resorts. This place has been renovating room and amenities on a regular basis. The pools are clean and nicely heated. The hot tubs are nice. There is a outdoor shower area near the pool. They have nice restroom/changing rooms near the pools. We love this place and look forward to coming every February as part of our yearly mid-winter vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cypress Pointe Resort? Share your experiences!