“Stay at the Ritz with no kids?” 4 of 5 stars

$100 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #10 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Stay at the Ritz with no kids?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our second stay at the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes. It's just me and my husband and were looking for a easy to reach destination for a long weekend. So, should you stay here if you do not have kids in tow? Yes, the service is wonderful, the grounds lovely, the golf course on site and 10 minutes from the airport. But plan ahead...it is well worth it to book a spa treatment because you have use of the lovely and quiet adults only spa pool all day. You can also pay $30 a day, but why not schedule a manicure or facial and then enjoy the peach and quiet of the spa pool. There is a cafe in the spa as well, but I loved having lunch at the restaurant (Bleu, I think it's called) next to the hotel pool. The grounds are extensive and make for nice walks, the golf course was excellent. Perfect for a 3 day weekend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I just came home from a week long vacation here at the Ritz-Carlton Orlando. This has been one of my most enjoyable, and relaxing stays at a resort. It slightly reminded me of a mini Atlantis (but with better service, and less people). This resort has one of the most beautiful grounds I have seen in a resort, the detail is outstanding. There was a convention going on while I was here, but it was still very relaxing. The JW Marriott next door (which is useable to the Ritz-Carlton guests, and vice versa) was beautiful as well (only having used their outdoor amenities, as well as having breakfast at citron. But the staff was wonderful here as well).

I came here for a family vacation to the Disney parks with my 6 year old daughter. But wanted to get away from the non-stop disney action. And we are very happy we did just that. It was so great here that even our daughter chose not to continue to go to the parks because she wanted to enjoy the outdoor facilities.

I can not stress enough how beautiful this resort is! We will be coming back very soon, and not for the parks....

I also recommend having dinner at Norman's steak house! The pork Havana is exceptional, thanks to the recommendation of our waiter David. David was a great waiter, he even brought my daughter and I out to see the banana tree that grows right off the restaurant because my daughter thought it was neat to have a banana tree.

My only drawbacks were house keeping came too early for my liking, the beds were a little small (although they were double beds so that's an obvious oversight on our part), and the pool/ jacuzzi closed at 10pm. But other than that those are my only gripes.

Room Tip: Highly recommend a pool/lake view it's beautiful! Try getting a room away from the elevator, it...
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have stayed at the Ritz Carlton multiple times, and this time was special as I was taking my daughter to see Taylor Swift for her first concert. We have NEVER been disappointed. But, when you are paying this way, one should never be disappointed. A few things however have affected our comfort level the last few stays, and for the cost I doubt we will stay there again until resolved.

The good? Pleasant smiling service, never too crowded, amazing food, many room service options, outstanding club level, clean pool and hot tub, great drinks, gorgeous spa.

The not as good? The lack of valet speed even when calling ahead for car, the loss of "tea time" in the club room, the fact that the club level suite has ONLY a king bed, no double options, and NO sofa bed (which, in Orlando and for close to a grand a night seems somewhat ridiculous), and the lack of thought from some staff is all a little disappointing. The hotel was out of proper cribs and only had those awful and loud pack n plays left, it took an hour to get one which meant we had already put the baby to bed in a lounge chair, and then later when we needed a pillow, despite the "shh" sign on the door, the bell was rung repeatedly. Now, none of these are earth shattering issues. But for the Ritz? A 5 star property with these prices?? I expect someone bringing a pillow, at 11 p.m. to know NOT to ring a doorbell when there is a clear sign on the door and when I gave specific instructions when calling for the pillow order. Nope, we won't be back until some of these minor issues are resolved. For this money? I expect virtual perfection, not classic 3 1/2 star problems.

Room Tip: Clarify a need for doubles when booking room, and ask for suites with doubles. Very few and far betw...
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Yes location is very good, easy to get to--BUT the real story is how wonderful the experience is at this hotel--a very classy greeting at reception, a beautiful room perfectly fitted out, super comfortable bed, very clean, excellent gym, wonderful buffet breakfast and a fantastic staff-enough said???

Room Tip: Be prepared to feel very special, the breakfast is very very good
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Northern Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I only stay at hotels in this price range when attending a business conference with my employer picking up the tab. I’ll note that I could technically afford to spend this much on a family vacation if I wanted to, but for my wife and I the value just isn’t there.

Pluses: The staff. I have stayed at a fair number of similar places and the staff at this one really are extra-attentive. Also, unlike the hotel itself they never act is if they expect a tip – although I certainly did give tips as warranted (e.g. handling the luggage).

Many of the rooms have nice little private balconies. Very welcome.

Typical: Grounds, public and private furnishings, bath décor, bed comfort, room size, etc. are fully what you should expect of a hotel of this class and price range, but nothing extra.

Minuses:
Golf course: If you are a golfer, has to be one of the most boring and unchallenging courses I have ever seen. Nicely tended to but dead flat, and uninteresting design. If you are not a golfer – well, unfortunately your room fee includes a substantial amount needed to contribute to the golf course maintenance.

Parking: Self-parking: If you insist on the self-parking instead of the assumed valet parking your visit starts on a down note as you are treated at that point as a second-class guest. “May I leave my car here [in front of lobby] just while I check in and take my laptop to my room? No sir, we suggest you use the recommended valet parking.” Self parking is not advertised – you need to have researched. And it is about as far away from the hotel as possible – a real delight on a hot Florida afternoon.

Surcharges: The hotel charges extra for anything it can think of. Internet? $10 / day plus tax. Self-parking is high. Shuttle to/from airport (7 miles)? – Forget about it. Get a taxi? Nope – you have to use the so-called limo service (Town Cars), you cannot call an ordinary taxi. 18% mandatory service charge on everything. Most drinks (except a couple of wines by the glass) outrageous. Free breakfast? Ha!

Bottom line: Pay more, get less. If that's your bag, go for it.

Room Tip: Unless you are one of those worried about fires, higher is better at this property.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton for work purposes, found the stay enjoyable, and food extremely high standard. What was annoying was the daily room charge for internet access, which seems steep considering the room costs. Also had issues with the key card system on the room which ended up using 15 new cards and many people looking at the door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
douglaston, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Here's the skinny - if you are looking for a luxury Disney vacation resort or a great escape, the Ritz should be at the top of your list. This hotel resort does not disappoint - it is a first class all around with outstanding service, superb amenities and great restaurants, all situated on a scenic property which is a close drive to Disney attractions. The Ritz is connected to JW Marriot hotel which is likewise luxurious but is more suitable for families as it has a lazy river pool, a sandbox, and arcade and a community kids center. The Ritz has fewer children oriented amenities (a small kiddy pool and "Ritz Kids" which is a drop off day care center for kids 3 and older). The good thing is that you can share the facilities of both hotels. Our room at the Ritz room was adequately spacious and tastefully decorated. The real attraction is the hotel grounds which include a great pool, a golf course and small lake where we rented a multi-person bicycle and leisurely toured the grounds on a winding .5 mile path. There are also zip lines, tennis courts and a gold club. The food is fantastic at the Ritz Vineyard restaurant and at the Marriott Citron restaurant (pork chops are out of this world). I was glad we stayed at the Ritz after first staying at the Animal Kingdom lodge for the first few days of our trip as it was a far better experience - if we did the reverse I would have been sorely disappointed at the downgrade.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Orlando, Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!