“Excellent, as expected!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
“Excellent, as expected!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

When staying at a Ritz Carlton, you expect a high level of service. Clean rooms, turn down service with chocolates on your pillow at night, an easy check-in and great food. This Ritz had all that, and more. I was there for a conference. The service was impeccable and the facility highly conducive to successful meetings. I loved the rocking chairs outside and the many places to sit down for an impromptu conversation.

The great experience began the moment I arrived. I was greeted immediately and was met at the door by one of the front desk staff who whisked me through the process and sent me on to my room with perfect directions.

They had a great area for kids. I'll bet the kids staying there had a wonderful time.

I look forward to the chance to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

1,220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
boston bean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great property with golf! Pools and spas! You don't need to leave this property to enjoy the warmth of Orlando! We stayed in February and the pools are heated. The restaurants on premises are great especially Norman's!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lake and/or pools!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

As one would normally expect, the property is great, the service fenominal, the food extraordinary and the price a little more than what you like to pay. However, you get what you pay for.

We had a room on 9th floor overlooking pool and lake. You were also able to see the Disney Epcot ball in distance and some fireworks.

One of the best features is the ritz kids. They take care of the kids and they have a blast. This is definitely one of the best properties in Florida. Will be back.

• Stayed February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Amazing place with great service. James the concierge (Yorkshire lad) was great. The fish in the restaurants is as good as any I have had.
You must do the Kayaking around the swamp with the guide (I'm sorry I have lost his name). The wildlife is amazing and even though there are alligators the guide knows how to watch them safely. Very easy paddle and very informative. In two hours we spotted, deer, alligators, owls and all sorts of birds of prey. Try and go in a small group.

Room Tip: Try and get a high floor as the views are great and there are three lifts per floor so you never wai...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed here for four days in January during the PGA show (although my family and I have stayed here 6 or 8 times in the past during visits to Disney and are returning again this March). We return to this hotel because we like the location AWAY from Disney. It is an easy drive to the Disney, Universal or SeaWorld parks but we enjoy coming back to a hotel that isn't always ALL about Disney (characters, etc). The Ritz (and adjoining JW Marriott) offer a large property with spa, golf, pool, lazy river pool, kids activities. We especially choose this property as they offer a bathroom with separate tub and shower that is large and luxurious. The rooms in the Ritz are large (480 square feet for regular room and about twice that for a suite). We usually eat at Vineyard restaurant (reasonably priced, for a Ritz, with a nice wine list). The breakfast buffet is awesome (about $25 US per person) and we never had a bad meal for dinner and the entire staff has always been wonderful. We have also eaten at every other restaurant in the Ritz/JW and enjoy being able to have variety in dining options without leaving the hotel. The Ritz Lobby bar is roomy and nice and offered piano or guitar entertainment that was nice. The drinks are pricey and the service was a bit slow (often crowded). Last visit I had a garden facing room and did not experience any of the outside noise other guests mention but I did witness, upon checkout in January, many guests queued up to talk to a manager about noise in the pool facing rooms (especially lower floors). I enjoyed three rounds of golf during the visit in January and found the course to be excellent, the pace of play acceptable. I had a room deal with golf included (unlimited), which is a nice way to go if you are a golfer. Otherwise, the golf is pricey but in line with what you will pay elsewhere in Florida this time of year ($100 - $200 US per round). We used a caddie (Gaya) that I highly recommend. She was an expert at reading the greens. This service costs an extra $50 plus tip ($50) for the caddie. The golf concierge (Ricky) was also very friendly and would drop in during the round to check on us and even offered us chocolates. We ate lunch twice at the Fairways Pub and enjoyed our meal (I think I had steak salad twice). One area where we had service issues was the valet and housekeeping. EVERY time we called ahead for our car, it was not available and, upon checkout, the bellman never came to our room and we carried our own bags downstairs. Unacceptable. Otherwise, the outside ops folks at the Ritz were always friendly, opening doors, offering directions, etc. Housekeeping issue was not with room cleanliness - the hotel is very clean. The issue was that I often had to hunt for the housekeeper after she cleaned the room since she failed to leave us extra soap, shampoo, etc. Again, if you are looking for an upscale hotel while in Orlando, this property is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: High floors facing lake are nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have stayed at this property twice on the concierge floor. Except for a few Rosewood properties, we usually stay at the Ritz properties. Yes, not all Ritz properties are equal and since Marriott purchased them, they have gone downhill. However, not this one. All Ritz Carlton property managers should come and visit Orlando and their concierge floor. Service and food are excellent! Keep up the good work. It is one of our favorite places. Everything is streamlined and the client is very important to them and it shows. Love all the dining facilities except The Vineyard --- not worth the money and the other dining facilities are pricier but better. Spa with zen pool, awesome.
Puerto Rico RC --- you definitely need a field trip to this property for service, ambiance and having your staff look professional and clean.

Room Tip: Only concierge level! Great value.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

First of all, let me say that I have never been to an hotel where the staff are so polite and friendly and that the hotel was spotlessly clean, both of which are a huge plus, but something I would expect of the Ritz Carlton.

The grounds were nice, but certainly not spectacular, in fact the butterfly garden (which may have been part of the adjoining JW Marriott consisted of two dead looking bushes..... Given this is winter in Florida and all the colorful plants thrive at this time of year, the landscaping was not up to par with many other bordering large hotels.

Now the complaints:

We were on one of the upper floors and you could hear every word of conversation on the pool deck, in fact in the evening you could hear so clearly you could join in.....

At 9:00 am every morning out came the man with his leaf blower and it took him a full 1 hour 15 minutes to do the pool deck and the fountain area, which again because the sound travelled so badly was like having him leaf blowing our room. Whilst 9:00 may not affect everyone, when I am on vacation I want to get up when I want to, not because I cannot stand the noise anymore......

Rooms were nice, but to be honest no better than any other up market hotel.....

The smell of dirty cooking oil pervaded the lobby level so badly one night that guests were left feeling nauseated by the smell and when I came back from an evening out 4 hours later, it could still be smelt.

The internet in the rooms was an absolute pain in the rear. They do have an IT department who help, but why should it be so difficult to get more than 1 device on the wireless system. I gave up.

Pool was cold, I only saw one person in there in the 5 days I was there. If you are paying Ritz prices, shouldn't you be able to swim in relatively warm water?

For me, the stay was a huge disappointment and I will probably not bother ever staying at a Ritz Carlton again, I can put my hard earned cash to better uses.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!