“King of Hotels” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sarasota, Florida
“King of Hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is an amazing hotel for a short stay. I highly recommend this hotel when traveling for a long weekend or a couple days. The customer service is what you would expect, incredible. The rooms have comfortable beds and is spacious (for a hotel room). The pool area is nice, the Marriott next door which shares property has a nice pool area as well. The bar food is mediocre at the Ritz though. I would recommend eating out. For the price you can do much better taking a short drive outside the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

1,220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband was in Orlando for a conference and we were priviledged to stay in this fantastic hotel. The beauty of the hotel was enhanced by all the beautiful Christmas trees, the life-sized gingerbread house and other holiday decorations. The room was wonderful - very attractive with comfortable furniture - including the bed. The huge bathroom with it's separate shower, tub and toilet room was even better (I love huge bathrooms!) and the toiletries were top-of-the-line. I am not normally a spa type of person but decided to treat myself. The spa at the Ritz is top-notch and a perfect way to spend the day. The spa employees were exceptional and the two (!) massages and mani/pedi I got during my stay were great. I also went on the eco tour kayak trip one morning (I am also not an outdoor adventure type of person). It was alot of fun and informative - and I didn't tip over! Every positive thing other reviewers have said about this property is the truth. I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed this hotel. If you have the opportunity to stay at this hotel, just stay here and see for yourself! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and have no complaints. The location of the hotel is great because it's near the highways and many of Floridas attractions. The staff were very nice, helpful and attentive. The rooms were beautifully decorated and very clean, as was the lobby and other public areas. Ate dinner one night at The Vineyard Grill and the food was very good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My family has stayed at the Ritz 3 times in the past, for one of my husbands conferences. This September, the conference put us up at the JW next door, but myself and the kids walked over to the Ritz a few times. We have always received fantastic service. In the past, we asked if we could have a room with views of Disney so the little ones could watch the fireworks at night from Epcot. They have always obliged and we had a great view. Not too high, not too low, just perfect. This past visit, we took a break from the JW and walked over to the Ritz so the kids could swim in the pool. They love the little floats that are poolside and the little fish fountains. Although, I do have a rambunctious 5 year old and felt like I had to tell him to quiet down a few times, because it is a more quiet pool than the one at the JW, and they were the only kids there making noise. I cannot say ENOUGH good things about Michael the bartender at the outdoor restaurant/bar, Bleu!! He actually remembered myself and the kids from a previous stay 2 yrs ago. He's just a genuinely nice and friendly person. I had a nice time chatting with him while the kids played in the little play area. It's employee's like that, that really make a hotel/restaurant stand out!! Unfortunately, it's not in our budget to make this trip every year, if it were, we would come back year after year. Hopefully it won't be too long before we're able to come back again and enjoy this grand experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool/golf courses. And ask to be high enough to see Disney fireworks...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I needed to attend a conference in Orlando and stayed at this hotel from Oct 21-Oct 26.

This is an annual conference my company attends. We usually stay at one of the Grand Lake properties. Honestly, I look forward to the conference mainly b/c our hotel stay is so luxurious.

It's the overall property and the access to the adjoining properties that make this hotel so special. Grande Lakes is just gorgeous. They have beautiful gardens and walking paths. During my non-work hours, I would try to take advantage as much as I could. I love to swim and particularly love the pools, esp the one at the JW Marriott which you get access too. For my hotel room, it was huge / airy / clean. I loved the bathroom tub and also the balcony. The room service food was great, definitely gourmet and fresh. IE, no frozen salty foods. The hotel also had classy touches like complimentary Godiva chocolates and flowers.

In the AM, I am dedicated Starbucks fan. There is no Starbucks in the Ritz, although they have Peete's. That said, I was happy to walk the few minutes over to the JW Marriott side of the property for Starbucks. And actually enjoyed the beautiful walk along the lake path and thru the gardens.

On the downside, I wish the room was better soundproofed as I could easily hear hallway noises. It seems a lot of families were there on vacation with their children, so the halls could definitely be loud. This is a slight problem for me, as I am a very light sleeper. Would be great if the hotel could offer a "child-free floor" for their business travelers.

All said and done though, looking forward to returning here next year. And would love to go here on a personal vacation, to more fully take advantage of those pools :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a hotel overlooking the pool area / lake
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our third time at this property and again impressed by the wonderful, attentive staff, and general attention to detail as to all aspects of the experience. Great service, great property. Can't understand the review that said the place looked dated; everything seemed very up to date. They kept our preferences from last time and had all of the "extras" we enjoy (pillows and towels, mostly). Cookies brought up for the kids. Very fast room service. Shared use of facilities with the J.W. Marriott next door (including the pool with the 1/4 mile Lazy River). A real treat. Thanks to Eric (manager) and Stephanie at the front desk for going the extra mile.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great family friendly hotel. Upon checking in they brought snacks to the room for the kids. Nice heated pool in Nov which is a must! Rooms were nice, you can also walk over to the JW if you want to move around a bit. The Vineyard Grill had amazing steaks and you can also order it in room. Kids don't want fancy breakfasts so they have a starbucks at the JW and also a nice breakfast buffet if you want lots of fresh fruit. They have a treasure hunt for the kids and every afternoon complimentary drinks in the lobby which the kids loved as every day it was different. Only thing I didn't like was when I wanted to book a park trip, they had a desk at the JW. It's somehow Universal related and they kept pushing universal at me while the kids wanted to go to Disney. There are no complimentary shuttles, you have to pay(for universal) and no shuttles at all for Disney. I guess it's a bit far to Disney and that's why they don't have a shuttle. We went by cab which is convenient but was just surprised by the lack of option. Otherwise we loved the restaurants, pool, and play area for the kids. They have a nice gym with varying machines. Service great as always.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ritz-Carlton Orlando Grande Lakes? Share your experiences!