“Orange Blossom Trail, Orlando, FL - FILTHY! Soap left from prior guests, dirty floors! YUCK.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Orlando International Airport

Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #237 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am writing you about my family's experience at the Howard Johnson Inn on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando June 15-18, 2012. My husband, daughters (ages 2 and 4), and myself planned a family trip to Disney from June 10th-18th, the last 3 days of our vacation we decided to stay with Howard Johnson.

Upon arriving at the hotel after visiting Disney World earlier in the day, we entered the room and immediately noticed that the floor had not been vacuumed. Many pieces of food/particles were spread all across the floor. I decided to check the bathroom and the bottles of used shampoo were inside the bath tub along with open bars of soap used by the prior guests. The room reeked of smoke even though the room was a non-smoking room. We were very disgusted, but didn't want it to wreck our stay. We decided that we needed to go ahead and call the desk to let them know we would like to switch rooms, but the front desk never answered our calls. My husband then went to the front desk and waited for 10 minutes with nobody ever coming to the front to assist him.

We weren't given enough towels for the amount of people staying in our room. There was one dirty towel on the floor and only one on top of the shelf above the toilet. All four of us shared one towel that night.

We woke up the next morning and left for the day until 9:30 p.m. that evening. When we entered the room, we noticed that the maids had not come to make the beds, nor clean up the mess on the floor from the prior guests.

I understand in this economy it isn't easy to run a business. I feel very sensitive to that, however, the cleanliness and service was despicable. The sign stated "clean rooms!" I'm sure you all can understand the irony of this. I always go out of my way to leave business good feedback because I think it's important to give credit when someone cares enough about their customers to go out of their way to make my experience a happy one, especially when I am on vacation. However, it always pains me to write when service is sub par.

I have traveled and stayed in many hotels in my life and I can confidentially say this was the most unclean room I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Shamir P, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Orlando International Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
This review is posted from the wrong location. You are writing about the Orange Blossom Trail Howard Johnson and we are located on International Drive.

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I travel a lot, and this is by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Where to begin?! Requested a downstairs room for my elderly grandma - they didn't fulfill this request until my second night even though I had been assured on the phone that they would have one for me. All front desk staff was rude and unfriendly - while I was sitting in the room, a staff member cussed out a patron outside of my room window telling him repeatedly, "You WILL get the [--] out of the hotel" (though check-out wasn't for another hour), then she began mocking his language when he responded in Spanish. There are bugs in the sink and on the door (that I have found so far). The rooms are dirty and not vacuumed in the corners, the shower was moldy, and there were pubic hairs on the toilet when we arrived. I left a key at the front desk for my friend who tried to gently open the lobby door after it had been locked. When he came to the side window, the attendant began yelling at him about having touched the door and that he would break it. My friend eventually had to interrupt him to simply ask for the key I had left, and the man continued to yell at him through the entire process of giving him the key. I am the easiest person to please and have actually never written a bad hotel review, as I always find the good in places...this place has no good...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AjalManagement, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Orlando International Airport, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 407 859 5410

Lewis Belle General Manager
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I checked in for a 2 night stay. Lee and the front office staff were pleasant to work with and made my stay enjoyable. My room was clean and the rest of the staff were very attentive to mu needs. I definitely will stay here again on my next visit to Orlando.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was kind and helpful we strive to provide excellent customer service and give you a clean comfortable room for your stay if your ever in town and need a place to stay were always here to serve you.

Lewis Belle GM
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

The first room I got had not been serviced. Staff apologized profusely and moved me to
a room that had been serviced. They do fix problems, if problems are brought to their attention. If you are too lazy to walk 50 feet to the motel office then please don't write tripadvisor reviews.

In the room that I was moved to within 20 minutes.
1) Ice cold AC(florida summer so this was appreciated)
2) 3 mbps wireless internet
3) Room was clean and comfortable
4) vending machines were reasonably priced, 75 cents for a can of soda at a hotel these days is decent.
5) Rooms look like they were newly renovated
6) Sheets nice and clean
7) Refrigerator and Microwave, In room safe and ironing board
8) On a public bus route, if you need that

What hotel does not have
Swimming pool- the motel doesnt have one which is okay since I dont use it anyway but some people might want one.
Airport shuttle- It really should be called howard johnsons florida mall.

A note about the general area
This hotel is actually one of the better motels ive seen on the Orange Blossom Trail/US 441 in Orlando. Contrary to some of the other reviews I didn't see any signs of prostitutes or unsavory characters just one rather eccentric harmless old lady. This motel is not in a holiday hotel area, its a hotel that allows you to get a decents nights sleep, surf the internet, get up and get out quickly with easy access to 528 and turnpike. It is next to a major road so you will hear road noise, but it shouldn't prevent a good nights sleep.

It is a very good clean comfortable motel, it is not a hotel and its unfair to judge it as such.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
AjalManagement, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Orlando International Airport, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
As the new GM of the Howard Johnson, I thank you for the time your spent reviewing our hotel, and will make sure that the staff sees your positive review. Come see the new improvements at the Howard Johson Lewis Belle GM
Cuenca, Ecuador
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I booked the hotel throug internet, so when we arrive was already prepaid. The room was dirty, no housekeeping, ants everywere, coffe machine and blowdryer broken. We had to call recepcionist al midnight to ask for clean towels for the next day.

Too noisy, you wont get a good sleep, THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Lewis Belle General Manager
Placida, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

FIRST- THIS location is on ORANGE BLOSSOM TRAIL, 1 that is not listed on Trip Advisor (that I can find). Next, I’ll have to say that as we pulled into this property, it seemed like there was quite a bit of activity for late, late night. As I checked in, I was aware that the laundry was being folded- right in front of the front desk; i suppose it is an effective use of time if not many people come in(?). The 2 men were friendly and courteous, but when i walked to the second floor door, the magnetic key did not work. on the way back down the stairs i just happen to notice an empty Snapple bottle next to a cig butt at the bottom stair. An inconvenience, but- they made me a new one and 1 guy was nice enough to walk me up and try it (walking by the Snapple bottle). The room is very "old Florida". double beds on the small side, musty smell bordering on cigarette scent, no phone in the room (hummm,- my cell phone is not charged, what if i need to call?). When morning came, I headed for the free continental breakfast and again saw the Snapple bottle and cig butt. Let me just say that breakfast is "grab & go" NOT at ALL "sit & eat". there were a TOTAL of 6 chairs, -by now taken. The selection was: 4 or 5 types of small box cereals, vacuum packed bagels or muffins and milk and coffee. They had run out of cream cheese packs. There is 1 PC to share there. MAJOR point: There is a BUS STOP directly in front of this property, maybe 20 yards from the drive up, so people were starting to gather for the bus and work. Now, if you need public transportation, this is a PLUS, but it is a NEGATIVE is you are on vaca. About 5 pm I return to hotel and see that no one on staff has bothered to remove the trash at the bottom of the stairs (Snapple:). Needless to keep repeating myself about the silly bottle, as the lack of work ethic is evident. It's just that you wonder what other stuff is being overlooked.......

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Homer, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for a one week stay. After my wife dropped me off at work, she went to check in. When she came back to pick me up, she was terrified. She said the hotel was in a bad section of town and she believed the occupant in the next room was a prostitute. My wife heard men come and go from her room the entire time I was at work, and heard one man say, "I can't now, now I'm broke" after the woman suggested going somewhere. I reserved judgement until I saw the hotel and area for myself and I wish she was exaggerating or paranoid. But she wasn't. I was even nervous about staying there, and I definitely didn't want my wife staying there while I was at work for the next week--including one day trip out of town. So I called Hotwire and explained the situation but they refused to refund our money even though we were not comfortable about our personal safety (including a Hotwire supervisor hanging up on me pretty much by saying, "Please stay on the line for a short survey" and sending me to the survey).

Shortly after we got to the hotel, a family was leaving. 10 pm on a Friday night during Easter weekend? The desk clerk came to our room--after she knocked on the other door and there were three men behind her. Who does that? Investigating and you don't get the "complainant's" story first?

We left $333 on the table--which we could not afford--and checked into another hotel close to the airport for more money than we really wanted to spend but our safety is worth more than that.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
AjalManagement, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Orlando International Airport, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time provide us your feedback. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while staying at our property and I want to ensure you that our guests comfort and safety are our top priority and I am glad that you felt that we handled your experience well even if we unable to remedy the entire situation.

I have recently became the GM of the property and can assure you we are working hard to to make improvements. As we speak we are upgrading the grounds, installing new bedding, and addressing your security concerns. Lee Saylor

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Orlando International Airport? Share your experiences!