“Beautiful Lodge” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Save Saved
You added Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #37 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Maple Valley, Washington
“Beautiful Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We just got back from staying a full week in a one bedroom suite at Wilderness Lodge. We fell in love with the jaw dropping lobby and the atmosphere in the main lodge. The service was top notch- as I approached the lobby to check in I was personally greeted outside and then walked in to check in. Also, when I realized my son left his entire bag back at home, the concierge arranged a driver from the lodge to drive me to Walmart to purchase him an entire wardrobe. Then, he walked me to my room with my bags. You will never experience service like this any where else. The only reason I am giving this a 4 instead of a 5 is the fact that we have stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge a few years ago and preferred the pool area, the restaurants, the safari room view and the larger one bedroom suite. The one bedroom suite at Wilderness Lodge is the smallest I have seen. It is well appointed but the kitchen is barely fitting for one person and the family room is not large enough for a family nor is the dining area. You will have a great time here and will make memories for sure as everything Disney is superb,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I have a DVC membership and this is my home resort. I have been here sometimes twice a year since 2001. This trip was December 16th through the 19th a sort of pre-holiday adventure. We arrived fairly late, around 6pm due to flight arrival times. The Disney express was flawless in their service and I recommend them highly. If you’re staying at a resort close to the monorails or magic kingdom you don’t need a car. The transportation is really adequate. I did not rid a bus once after I arrived on this or either of my two last trips, and relied on the boat transportation either to the MK or to the contemporary and hopped from there. OK back to check in. Check in was very swift since I used the on line service. My room requests through DVC were honored which was great, since I worried about checking in late and getting what was left so to speak. Instead, I got just what i asked for, one on the fourth floor, facing the lake and close to the elevators. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean, and it smelled good. I walked around in white socks and the carpet was clean. Bedding was fresh and the bed was comfortable. we had a great view of the lake through the trees on the fourth floor, and this is probably true for about half the rooms above floor three, another five or ten years and everyone will be able to see the lake no matter what floor you’re on. It’s thinning out every year.... I think they found something to kill the kudzu. Yea! Bugs are non-existent.... how they do that I don’t know...but can guess.. again maybe it was because its winter. We left the door open two nights and no mosquitos. I spilled coffee on the bed sheets and blanket. House keeping informed me they would have to charge me to change the bed linens but could provide them for free if I would change it myself which I said sure. They arrived in less than 5 minutes, I changed them and left the others outside the door where they were picked up.
The resort was nicely decked out in the Christmas decorations.... it’s my fourth or fifth Christmas there so I have seen it. It has charm. The lodge lobby was nice, busy during the day and deserted at night. The DVC wing is always quiet... has its own pool and hot tub spa outside. more on those later. The workout room is first rate and staffed during the day. I has a beautiful lobby of its own and several rooms on the ground floor which see little use and are beautifully furnished. The pool was nice and warm and not busy. I am not a big swimmer person but spent a good hour in the pool. The hot tub... I would not get into the second time around.. not only was it no warmer than the pool.... the amount of dead skin floating around was disturbing to say the least... yuk... the two at the large pool were clean and fresh all the time....but busier.... seems DVC is skimping there. Could be an employee issue... I did encounter one employee hiding out in a restroom at the poly's second pool texting on his phone....
The food, same old stuff, some arranged a little differently. We ate at the poly most of the time or the campground. The campground has the best food and the best value. It is out of the way so you need to make a little boat trip but it will be worth it. I will review that separately they deserve some appreciation there. We rented one of the small boats for an hour and cruised around the bay lake lagoons and the rest of the hotels and magic kingdom. Sunny and warm and recommend this to get away and see the edges. As others have noted, the concierge service is not a real concierge.... it’s a customer service person who can give you nothing but information and may not know anything at all. Like the desk attendant who check me in did not even know what side of the building the room I was assigned was on. I knew more than she did about the hotel like odd and even numbers, etc... basic stuff. She tried to look it up. Lack of training not DVC related. I ran into a tour guide I had meet two years ago, I remembered him and he remembered me by my voice. I get that a lot. Did not eat at the table service restaurants, these are more dining "experiences", been there done that,. I did eat at roaring fork and had a nice meal enough for two to split. The grounds were neat as always, a few less flowers and plants. You will enjoy your time here and I will return next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom quite with one king and two double beds and a pull out. Two full bathroom and a kitchenette made this perfect. We flew there, but still brought many snacks and supplies for the room and for the kids. This made early mornings and late nights much easier.
Rooms were clean and even with 5 adults and 3 kids were big enough.
Pool is great. Kids got in a bunch of times, but since it was November and not as hot adults only went in a few times.
Food:
Quick service is good, a little small and got crowded a couple of times.
Sit Down: Whispering Canyons is always a good and a must to try once, if not more than once. Service was a little slow. We had a big group, but I would still expect not to have to complain about it, but we did and it got better after that.
Disney Guest Services are always good: We had two instances of trying to clarify some charges in the park and at the hotel and they were nice, but I felt they could have assisted much quicker and made decisions on resolving what were errors. Lost time on a vacation is extremely valuable, but they did fix our issues.
Access to the pool, transportation, and lobby were a short walk and not an issue.
This is our second time staying at Wilderness Lodge and first tiem in the Villas (Vacation club side) and we'll definitely be back.

Breckenridge, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Rented a two bedroom unit through third party DVC broker. Unit was facing the lake, but there are actually too many tall trees to see the nightly show. Wilderness lodge property is nice but short on direct transportation links to locations other than the magic kingdom. Layout and kitchen left a lot to be desired without a kettle or cutting board. Furniture and bedding was uncomfortable. There is essentially no daily houseKeeping for their pricey DVC properties. Not sure it was worth $400/night compared to other condo properties we've rented but was reasonable enough for a Disney trip.

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed in the DVC Wilderness Lodge Villas for 2 nights the weekend before Thanksgiving and it was wonderful. The Christmas tree in the main lodge was stunning and the smaller tree in the villas was equally beautiful. The whole place just makes you wish you had time to just sit in a rocking chair by the fire and relax but of course this was a Disney vacation and we were there to maximize our park time! We watched the evening boat parade from the beach one night which was just magical. The boat ferry over to the Magic Kingdom was nice. Really my only complaint was that we didn't have more time to enjoy it...and perhaps that the food court area could be a bit larger but they served us quickly and it was nice enough to eat outside so it worked out.

Hamilton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed in a studio villa from December 2nd -5th and had a great time! I thought the decor was very nice and the room was comfortable. It seems a bit bigger than the regular hotel rooms at the Wilderness Lodge. The little kitchen area was just perfect for us. The villas are in a separate building, but still very close to the main building. We had a long walk down a corridor within the villas to get to our room. There is a nice quiet pool and hot tub by the villas, but we usually swam at the main pool. There are excellent dining options at this hotel and the lobby is breathtaking at Christmastime. My daughter enjoyed the free craft at the Cub's Den every afternoon. The Mercantile shop is nice, but the prices are extremely high in my opinion. The staff were very pleasant. We also stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but prefer the Wilderness Lodge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My family and I recently rented DVC points for a 7-night stay in a 2-bedroom villa. We could not have been more pleased with our accommodations.

The villas are secluded and very quiet, yet just a short walk away from Wilderness Lodge itself.

We found the pool and hot tub area clean and relaxing, and never crowded.

Transportation to the parks is easily accessible. The bus stop is about halfway between the Villas and Wilderness Lodge, and the boat to Magic Kingdom, while a bit of a longer walk, is still within a reasonable distance.

We had no complaints at all about our room. Everything was in good repair and clean, and we were supplied with adequate towels.

All in all, we had an excellent experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!