“Long Weekend at Wilderness Lodge Villas” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Save Saved
You added Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #28 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Cheshire
“Long Weekend at Wilderness Lodge Villas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My wife, 12 year old daughter and I recently spent three nights the Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. We stayed in a one bedroom unit which consisted of a bedroom with a queen size bed. The bedroom had it's own sink and jacuzzi tub. There was a single bathroom with a sink and shower. And the living room had a fold out couch, table and chairs and a kitchen with an oven and full size refrigerator. There was much more space than we needed, but we had DVC points to use that were going to expire at the end of this year.

The entire unit was very clean and comfortable. The bed was great and my daughter said the pull out sofa bed was very comfortable. We did not have maid service as we only stayed for 3 nights. The kitchen seemed well stocked, but we did not cook. Our unit had a garden (woods) view. We were on the first floor, so we had two patios with furniture outside.

The resort is gorgeous and the theme is great. The hotel lobby is incredible to see. The mercanatile is well stocked and had everything that we needed. There are two pools. One is large with a slide and is closer to the hotel. The smaller pool does not have a slide and is closer to the villas. My daughter really enjoyed the smaller pool.

We had a rental car, but we also used to the boat launch to the Magic Kingdom. It can be a long wait for the boat as it seemed there was only one boat going back and forth between the resort and the Magic Kingdom. We were not in a hurry, so that was OK. We used the bus once too which was fine as it's a direct bus with no other stops.

Checking in went very smooth as I had completed the online check in process a few days before.

Overall we thought the resort was great and we would stay there again for sure. The only disappointment was the quick service restaurant. It was small and congested and it became frustrating at busy times. It's nothing like the quick service restaurants at The Contemporary and Polynesian resorts, which are very organized and quick.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We spend 4 days in WaltDisney world and stayed in this on site hotel. Very nicely done, although the restaurant, the food and the service are not entirely what we expected. The room was well layed out, but dark. Our son loved the entire experience, but we felt that their was something missing. Just not the level of service, quality and furniture we expected. Have to admit that we are spoiled travellers and that the 4 days were magical indeed. Anybody that does not get a positive vibe here, should have a serious talk with some external help.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

While designing our first Disney trip, one of the biggest challenges was to figure out where we were going to stay. I had decided it would be on Disney property and after lots of research and discussion with many folks who have stayed at many of the resorts, I decided on the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. I am so glad that I did as it was an incredible place to stay. There were a total of 6 of us and thus we were going to need extra space (especially when you have 3 children under 10 years of age). I chose the 2 bedroom villa and what a beautiful resort. It was adjacent to the Magic Kingdom which made travel there easy - and it was my kids favorite park and you have the option of using your car, taking a boat or bus to get around. As for the resort, it was very spacious - there was a large common area - which included a nice comfortable cough (with pull-out sleeper if needed), nice kitchen (with microwave, large refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, coffee maker) and washer/dryer. They even throw in detergent and coffee. The bedrooms were quite large and each had it's own walk-in closet and large bathroom and vanity area. There was also a nice balcony where you could enjoy your morning coffee. The staff was very pleasant and eager to satisfy (typical of Disney) and there were several food options.
Most of our time we ate in the Roaring Fork - which is a quick service set-up. They serve all throughout the day and the food is good - they have a nice assortment and good kids options. We were on the dining plan, so there was always a side, drink and dessert with each meal. We did eat a few times in the Whispering Canyon Cafe - which is a family -style restaurant and their slant on service is loud, and being slightly obnoxious (in a fun way) - and don't forget to ask for Ketchup when you are there....The lodge has two separate pools, which are nice - the larger has a water slide, but there are some nicer pools at some of the other Disney resorts. They have a bunch of activities for adults and kids which is nice if you have any downtime from the parks. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay, the villas were great and would highly recommend and go back there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Marion, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband, 2 daughters (7 and 10), in-laws and I traveled to Disney Nov. 2-6, 2012. I wanted to stay at a Disney property for my daughters' first trip there and thought the Wilderness Lodge would be a great option given the great reviews. Our arrival went smoothly taking the Magical Express bus from the airport to the hotel. And, the hotel staff knew who were without having to introduce ourselves. That was great. Walking into the hotel was impressive. I was really overwhelmed with it and very happy with my choice at that time. We spent day 1 at Epcot and finally got into our room (a 2 bedroom efficiency in the "Villas" building) after 10 pm. Shortly after getting in the room, my husband was holding a door handle to the bathroom in his hand. It had come off when he went to open the door. Huh. Okay, not the end of the world, and not something I would make an issue out of at 10:30 pm. I got the kids to bed and then crawled in myself. My half of the bed was making noises like there was something wrong with the bed frame. Ok, it was after 11 pm, and I did not want to call the hotel to come at that point, so I figured I would address it in the morning. Needless to say, the bed made a noise that woke me up every time I rolled over. Not a good first night's sleep for someone who got up at 3 am and had been on the run all day. Anyway, I got up the next morning and hopped in the shower only to find a big blob of conditioner (or something) on the shower wall. Lovely. Before heading to the park for day 2, I told one of the Concierges of the 3 issues. I said we would be out all day, so the housekeeping and maintenance crew should have no problem getting in there. We came back around 6:30 pm for a quick refresh before heading out to the Polynesian for the Luau. None of the problems had been fixed. So, before heading out again, I told another Concierge of the issues. (Keep in mind, every time I went to the Concierge, I had to wait in line - time I did not have to spare and certainly not how I wanted to spend my time). This Concierge told me she didn't even find my first complaint in the system (great) and she would have housekeeping adress it right away. I told her we would be out for 3 hours or so, so they should have enough time. We got back around 11 pm to find nothing had been taken care of. Another night of a noisy bed and morning with an unclean shower hard to turn door handle. Since we were off and running early on day 3, I did not have time to stop at the Concierge desk, so at this point I was resigned to the fact that I had paid all this money for this trip to have it be mediocre. And since the trip was pre paid in full, I really felt I had no recourse and that pissed me off even more. We got back around 11 that night. The door handle was still tough to turn and the blob in the shower remained. I just assumed the bed was still making a noise. I emailed about the 3 issues to my travel agent around midnight and then went to bed actually to find the bed was fixed! My travel agent responded first thing in the morning saying she would call the hotel and I emailed her back letting her know that at least the bed was all set, and we were off for day 4. We got back that night to find the blob was gone and the shower actually smelled clean (go figure). So, at the end of day 4, on the night before our check out, things were finally fixed. Oh, did I mention that the tub was also never cleaned while we were there, too, even though my daughters feet were dirty enough to have left some visible dirt in the tub? Needless to say I do not plan to opt for the Wilderness Lodge again and warn everyone to check the cleanliness of their room if they are staying there. Maybe the main hotel rooms are better cared for than the Villas... I do not know. I just wish I could request some money back since I do not feel I got what I paid for. By the way, I have traveled a bit in my life and have NEVER before complained about cleanliness at any other hotel, so I don't think anyone can say I am just being too picky.

Room Tip: Not Villa 2544.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the resort oct 27 - 30!! We loved everything about it!! Very beautiful!! Would deff stay here again!! Food was good!! Took the boat to magic kingdom!! Very convient!! Can't say anything bad!! Staff was great, very helpful!! All in all great place!!

• Stayed October 2012
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at the Wilderness lodge 10/9/2012 - 10/13/2012 for a quick stay and experience MNSSHP.

I have special health problems which require special cleaning of the resort room. The resort was notified by calling the resort directly the day before and the day of check-in. The information was also noted on my reservation and confirmed the day before travel. Again at check-in inquired if the room was cleaned appropriately.

Day 1
Check-in, assigned room. Room not cleaned appropriately. I then was exposed to chemicals which cause breathing problems for myself. After notifying the front desk it was approximately 3 hours until I was brought to a safe room breathing wise.

Day 2 Sick from exposure to chemicals..see doc...still try to enjoy vacation.

Day 3 Going to take nap. Drilling and hammering in room above me. Day of MNSSHP. Call front desk.. given run around they don't know anything about work in the room. Later talk to manager - there was work on the room.

Voice mail in room when return from MNSSHP informing alarm testing on day 4 all afternoon. So after being out late for the Halloween party and planning to get up and hit the parks and then come back in nap in the afternoon. Plan busted again.

Day4 Went to park. Come back 9pm.
Housekeeping had been in the room. Sprayed chemicals for cleaning that I was allergic, which were noted to not be used in my room. Towels replaced were not cleaned accordingly either.
Managements response on the night of day 4, was that nothing was sprayed and I was given appropriate towels. After a long discussion management finally gave me appropriate towels, and didn't care about the offending chemicals in room.

Management at this hotel does not understand the point of special cleaning. There is a problem somewhere in the staff. Managements response is to deny, deny deny.
Citing a reference from the computer that the room was cleaned appropriately does not rectify the problem.

Not a relaxing resort, not a quiet resort.
Quiet pool was great. The theme of the lobby and pool are wonderful and grand.

Had great luck with the boat and bus transportation.

Did not like the smoking area location. When you go from the main building outside to get to the villas, you have to walk past the designated smoking section, which is in a walkway off to the right. However the smoke just floats right in the walkway.
Florida is hot humid and smoke just sits in the air, and every time you go from the main building to the villas its rough on the breathing impaired. It would also be in the walkway path if you were heading from the theme park bus pickups back to the main part of the resort.

Have stayed at BC, SSR, BWV all allergy issues have been satisfactory handled with 2-3 trips a years spanning 5 years, unlike VWL trip this year. Never met managers not wanting to help an allergy issue at disney, until this trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Rented points from a dvc friend to try this villas
easy check in / had done the online service
Had a studio
Saw trees and Bambi´s family outside
The room was great and cleaned
Loved the movie on the beach and waterparade in the evening and the marshellows roasting
Good that it was a quiet pool there , but the big pool was fun too and the hottubs
just loved eating at Wispering Canyon ( have done it before and still loved it ) the menu skillet is now called a family platter , we couldn´t see any differnt from earlier there
Good quick service place and laundry room are also good , I used the one near the QS since the once to the villa ´s was in use
Boatservice to get to the park was perfect always there when we got there
Busservice to the parks worked out too, we did how ever have a very long wait to get to DTD on the Saturday 13 th of October
Service is great here from start to the end of this holiday they was good and gave us great customer service it impressed me a lot .
Will I go again , sure would go tomorrow if someone asked me

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!