Crown Plaza Universal Orlando
This property is the Chucky Cheese of Hotels. Clean, plain and decorated by aliens.
Billed as a “Four Star Property”, a long way from Disney and with season rates at over $450 a night, this hotel is really a joke.
Two stars, ok. 2.5 maybe. Compared to other properties with three or four stars, this one does not shine and surely doesn’t deserve the price or the star rating it has.
As a Priority Club member, I expected more from the Holiday Inn chain. Just a few of the interesting points to consider before you book this weirdly decorated joint:
First, there is the really strange, off beat décor, (Southwestern?), which does not say much, but seems to echo cheap, cheap, cheap property. The lobby is cold and sort of empty. Nothing up scale here.
There is no free Wi-Fi in the rooms so the people with laptops are squatting in the lobby where the free connection is dead slow. At these prices, it should be free throughout the hotel.
The TV remote worked occasionally, but was not reliable.
The room safe was inoperative.
There were no easy to use electrical outlets, such as on the desk. In fact, there were no outlets at the desk for charging phones, headset, computers, etc.
In the clean, but plain room, there were no robes or min fridge or microwave. Four star hotels typically offer at least some of these extras.
The hotel uses an in the elevator security system that usually doesn’t work, so you can spend a lot of time trying to get to your floor.
The central (?) air conditioning was in the room and next to the bed. Iy sounded like a diesel truck parked in the same room and made sleep impossible.
Meanwhile, in the lobby, the concierge personnel are touting for area restaurants and outside the front door the bell men and doorman are hustling guests to use the hotel’s town cars instead of local cabs.
While check in was fast and painless, the desk clerk was poorly trained and fixated on getting a credit card even though I had already prepaid for the room. I understand the need for this but had left mine in the car and promised to return with it shortly.
At check out, I commeneted on these problems and got a lot of apologies, but nothing else.
The cap to this short stay, although this isn't the fault of the hotel, was getting a cab driver who said he knew nothing about the restaurant I was headed to for dinner. “I’m new,” he told me, and I had to direct him to the Capital Grill, a major, long time dining spot on International Drive. He was, he told me, from Morocco, which apparently justified his knowing nothing. Welcome to Goofyland.
In summary, this is an overpriced, over rated, really tacky hotel, perhaps a fun place for families with kids, as it appeals to the infant mentality perhaps, but there are other, more mature hotels that deserve more attention.
No, I would not go back.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal Hotel Orlando
- Orlando Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Orlando
- Crown Plaza Orlando
- Crowne Plaza Universal Orlando
- Crowne Plaza Universal
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When visiting the adventure capital of the world, enjoy the award winning service and experience of Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal. Recently voted the top hotel in guest satisfaction among all Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, this Orlando, hotel is where relaxation meets adventure! The perfect blend of modern luxury and impeccable service with a premier setting soaring 15 stories over world renowned International Drive and offering views of popular local attractions and their fireworks or seasonal light shows. A masterpiece that blends Park Avenue elegance with the chic deco of South Beach. The hotel features complimentary scheduled shuttle service to the Universal Orlando Resort including Islands of Adventure, City Walk and Universal Studios, the Worlds of Discovery theme parks including Sea World of Orlando and water pakr, Aquatica, the Walt Disney World theme parks and Wet n Wild. The hotel is also a stop on the I Ride Trolley, serving Universal Boulevard and the International Drive areas for just dollars a day. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, HostelBookers, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.