“Noisy air conditioner” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #108 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Midway, Kentucky
“Noisy air conditioner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Hard to sleep when the a/c roars on and off near your head. Room had not been vacuumed under the bed or where the mini fridge had been.
Coffee was not replaced on morning number 2, so we requested some and they were quick to provide. Also, we needed a corkscrew and they brought it immediately.
Pool was very nice. We did not eat in the restaurant. Free parking. Very close and convenient to Universal. Shuttle service available, but we drove and paid for valet parking at universal. Worth the extra $15.
I'd rather stay in a room that has a microwave and fridge. Should have asked!
The lobby has a counter where they offer discounted theme park tickets if you commit to a tour of their resort property. We did not participate.
Got a good deal on Priceline so we won't complain!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Bistrogirl64,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide a clean and comfortable accommodation. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise challenges you experienced during your stay. I have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these points to our maintenance department to be addressed accordingly. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I am a Platinum Priority Club member and where possible support the IHG hotels. I booked our 5 night stay, 11 months in advance to guarantee our room. Orlando was the last US city before further travels in Mexico. I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor prior to booking this hotel, and I was confident that we would enjoy our stay. We had booked a deluxe king on the executive level which would be more spacious and quiet as it is at the end of the hall. This room is a bit larger than a standard king and would also include a pull out sofa, mini-fridge and microwave. Firstly, our room was directly opposite the elevator. Secondly, there was no way the bed we slept in was a deluxe king, it was barely a double bed, as my husband and I had no room. Thirdly, there was no microwave. Our daughter slept in the pull out sofa. My husband and I took it in turns to sleep at the bottom of the sofa bed, so the other person would have room to sleep in the main bed, whatever size it was. I was quoted $71.50+tax for a standard room or $181.50+tax per night for the executive room. That is $110.00 dollars difference to get what, complimentary continental breakfast, complimentary evening reception and complimentary high speed internet. I don’t think all this cost’s $550.00 for the duration of our stay especially when we were not given the room we booked.

You said in your email to me “I wanted to apologize for the problem you had in the Executive Level Lounge with getting whole milk. I understand that we gave you a couple breakfast buffet coupons which I hope met with your satisfaction, but I do apologize again for the problems you had”.

I don’t think you were passed the full story about the whole milk. Our first morning at the breakfast, I asked the girl who worked in the executive lounge, what milk was available in the jug on the counter. She told me skim. Ok, that is good for my husband who likes skim milk. I asked her, did she have any whole milk. There was half a bottle in the fridge, which I used for my cereal, and our daughter had whole milk on her cereal. Let me point out here, that our daughter is a toddler, 2½ years old. Unless your child is obese, every parent knows that children under 5 need full fat. Milk, yoghurt, cheese, anything dairy as they need this to grow. Went to breakfast the next morning, I asked the girl for the whole milk. She went to the fridge and there was no bottle of whole milk. I asked her if she could get some. She informed me that she could not leave. I asked her if she could please arrange for whole milk for the next morning. I skipped the cereal, but our daughter had cereal with skim milk. Let me remind you, that we have paid for the breakfast, and we are not getting the service we paid for. I am a hot tea drinker, English Breakfast and like a cup of tea at breakfast. I poured the water from the urn, and the water was luke warm. The skim milk sitting in the jug on the counter, also luke warm, and our daughter didn’t even eat her cereal. Went to breakfast the next morning and the girl informed me straight away, that there was no whole milk. She asked, and was told to use what was in the fridge. So I told her fine, I will go to my room, and bring my own milk. So I went down to our room, and returned to the lounge with the milk I bought myself, so my daughter and I could have our cereal. I’m guessing she didn’t ask, and lied to me. I did tell her that I was going to make a complaint. I was not happy.

We went to a theme park for the day, and when I returned that evening, I informed the front desk manager, told him I was not happy and we were given two breakfast coupons for the following morning at the breakfast buffet. The following morning we enjoyed our breakfast in the restaurant, as the selection was better than the lounge, and you could get skim, 2% and whole milk, no problem. We had eggs, bacon, pancake, cereal, bagel, toast and yoghurt, along with tea, coffee, orange juice, V8 and apple juice for our daughter. The apple juice came in one of those cute kids cups with the animal. I had asked for honey, and they even bought little jars of honey to the table. Could not fault the breakfast. The Director of Operations called by to apologise and we were given two breakfast coupons for the following morning.

The next day, was our last day. We had to be at the airport at 8am. Plan was to leave at 7.30am from the hotel. Being Military, the night before I did most of the packing. In the morning, up early, all showered and changed, and all bags in the car. I checked out prior to breakfast opening, and we were at the breakfast at 7am. Thought we would have plenty of time to have decent breakfast before we left. Oh, I was so wrong. You see, there was a conference delegation booked into the hotel, and their program said to be at breakfast at 7am as well. And the restaurant was suddenly understaffed and all tables were full. We were seated, and our drinks order taken. Coffee, tea & hot water, V8, orange juice and apple juice. The coffee and orange juice came. Never saw the V8. And the apple juice, came in a takeout coffee mug. I had to ask for the tea & hot water again, which I received at 7.15am. Forget an omelette, the line was very long, and only 1 poor guy cooking. I think we managed some cereal & toast, and that was it. Not the breakfast we had the day before. We had some more breakfast at the airport.

We went to Hawaii earlier this year and learnt an important lesson about tea & coffee. So for this trip, we were prepared. We bought our own instant coffee sachets, English Breakfast tea bags, sugar, mugs & spoons. All we needed was hot water. Prior to Orlando, we had stayed at hotels in Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas & New Orleans. Most of the rooms had those silly coffee percolators which we used for hot water. We always did ask for an electric kettle/jug. Only The Venetian in Las Vegas could accommodate our request, and it cost $4.25 for the duration of our stay. I asked at this hotel, and after going back & forth, Christopher, a very nice man from room service, sought approval and an electric kettle was acquired from Walmat and delivered to our room, along with tea/sugar, spoons, and mugs to be used for the duration of our stay. As you know, there is nothing more nicer than a cup of coffee & tea in the morning and evening. So this gesture was very much appreciated, and if you stay at this hotel, ask for the kettle. Maybe when we go to the US again, we should buy our own kettle.

Another plus about the hotel is the self use laundry for guests. I was able to do our washing & drying 3 times during our stay. $2 for a wash, and $2 for a dry. It is important when travelling and staying long term to be able to do washing, unless you can afford the laundry service through the hotels, which can add up, after a while.

Another plus about the hotel is the free car park. We hired a car for the duration of our stay, and parked our car no problem. During our travels we only ever saw valet parking which was expensive.

We want to go back to Orlando when our daughter is 7, and plan to stay for at least a month, so we are not going to theme parks every day , but can have rest days by the pool. I would stay at Crowne Plaza again, but in a standard room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear World_Traveller582,

Thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club member and for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and we were disappointed to read your stay was not the perfect experience we strive to deliver all of our guests. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience the breakfast experience may have caused you.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Just come back from Orlando, and have stayed at this hotel twice before and I must say this Hotel has managed to keep its high standard of comfort and cleanliness since we where last here in 2009. The staff are friendly and helpfull,the rooms still look fresh. When we came in 09 they where refurbishing the hotel and although that was a while ago our room still looked great today.
Our room was well equipped. We where given a suite with a Big double bed, flat screen tv., sofa, armchair, work desk with Internet connection (you do have to pay a daily rate to use it. For a four star hotel it should be free, however free Internet wireless in the lobby is available and the use of free computers in the business room is also in the hotel and can be accessed using your room key card), a working fridge that we could put our own things in, safe, iron, a sink with running hot and cold water in the room and of course a fully equipped bathroom with bath and shower, and best of all 24 hour constant hot water. The room cleaning service was first class, the room was spotless. Only slight niggle was the loudness of the room air conditioning when it was on. You would think in this day and age they could install a quieter system.
We where on the 11th floor but 3 elevators servicing every floor meant there was never a problem . The hotel had a lovely pool that was always warm (open till midnight every night) and a hot tub that was so hot your bath at home could not be warmer.
The hotels location is five minutes from Wet and Wild and about 15 minutes from Universal studios.
Although there where some children in the hotel they where all well behaved so screaming and running children was not a problem,even by the pool.
For those using a car there is also a large free car park at the hotel.
This establishment seems to be used a lot by business people, so the hotel has a very good reason to maintain high standards as they obviously want guests to return.
When we go back to Orlando we will defintley be staying at the Plaza. To the staff at Crowne Plaza, thank you for making our stay so pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here, the hotel was nice and the guest service was good. The location was 5 minutes, in traffic, from the interstate. The resturants were, in my opinion, over priced for there options. The breakfast buffet was good, but not sure I would pay $16.99 per person for it, the hotel does have a packe that includes th breakfast so see if that meets your needs. Lunch at the element was good. Agin ver ticked but the presbatin was nice. I don't like that wi-fi was not included in he rooms r the common areas.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 11th floor and it made for a nice view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

All of the staff was willing to go the extra mile to make sure our stay was excellent. From the customer service desk pointing out the bus routes and maps of the area to the front desk always asking if they could do anything else to make our stay more enjoyable. This was the best service we have recieved from any hotel in a very long time if ever! I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!! Great pool, ping pong tables, bar, super clean rooms, comfy beds, and great food! Keep up the great work!!! A very special thank you to Lasandra for making our stay memorable!

Room Tip: The executive rooms are worth every penny. With the bar, food and view from the executive dining ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tralee, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel is outstanding it is my second visit to this hotel and I have to admit I taught the first time was fantastic but my god was I even more overjoyed with this visit.From the moment we entered the hotel we were greeted by smiles and hello again from Tommy the bell man and for all the ten nights we stayed in continued. I love this place and would be returning next year. People who I want to mention is Scot the General Manager of this hotel he was amazing and could not done enough for us. And also the staff in the bar who were fantastic. Just regarding the air con everyone is on about what we did is kept it on all day and turned it off at night we did not find it loud but it was refreshing . Thanks alot Crowne Plaza for making our holiday amazing see ye next year :)

Room Tip: Room 1204 is great :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I would rate this hotel as average. We booked through Priceline and got a very good rate. The room was just average no microwave, no refrigerator. My main complaints were that we could hear the people in the room next to ours and the air conditioner vent was right next to the head of the bed and it was extremely loud. I would definitely had asked for a different room if I had not booked through Priceline because of the loud a/c unit.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Crowne Plaza Orlando Universal? Share your experiences!