“Friendly service, okay food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holy Smoke BBQ - CLOSED

Holy Smoke BBQ
corner of curry ford and crystal lake rd, 3000 Curry Ford Rd., Orlando, FL 32806
407-894-1984
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Orlando, Florida
“Friendly service, okay food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This was our second time eating here. The first time the food was okay and the bread was soggy. I chalked that up to getting the food to go, so we thought we would dine in this time. I really, really wanted to like this place because I usually have to drive a good distance to get smoked bbq and this place is close to home. Service was great...waitress super friendly; free small starters of beans and cornbread great touch; but the food was barely okay. We are smoked bbq fanatics....this didn't taste smoked...it tasted oven baked. I had the chicken....no seasoning at all; husband had the pulled pork sandwich...swimming in grease; no smoke flavor; no seasoning. Very disappointing! :( Hubby added a smoked sausage to his meal..what he received was a grilled Italian sausage like you get from a food truck. Took our leftovers to go, but they ended up in the trash because no one wanted to eat them. With a teenager in the house, that never happens.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Orlando, Florida
“True Southern Cooking and great ribs too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I love their ribs and the veggies they serve. The place is friendly and their prices are not too expensive either. They also have fish and sandwiches check them out. Have not done their breakfast yet.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Food was below average, portions average to small, service fine”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Holey Smokes BBQ is near our home so we decided to give it a try, and to score some points on our Dividend Rewards program.

We were greeted and seated promptly. The place was nicely decorated in a western style and a singer was providing entertainment to recorded tracks while playing a guitar. Our waitress was cheerful and helpful. That was were the good stuff ended.

The food was not that good. We both ordered seafood which only came with one side order, so we added a salad. Our salads were okay, but the honey mustard dressing was strangely hot, enough to make your nose run. I ate my salad anyway, but my wife did not eat much of hers. The waitress offered to bring her another salad but she chose to forego the offer and continue with her shrimp dinner. The shrimp were bland, with a few overcooked to rubbery. Her baked potato was very stale, like one that had been cooked long ago, then warmed in a microwave. My tilapia was prepared blackened, as requested, but the pepper seasoning was too thick, so I had to scrape it off. The tilapia itself was okay, but not as good as I've had elsewhere. My side of a few red beans over a cup of white rice was just okay, but nothing special.

At similar family restaurants, we normally have enough food to take home half for a leftover meal the next day, but because of the smaller portions, and below average food, we took nothing home. Because of this, and the $30 bill for two meals with just water to drink, Holy Smoke BBQ did not represent a value to us.

I should mention, though I think it was an isolated incident, that during our meal a drunk young woman began dancing up and down the aisle, occasionally stopping to shake her breasts in front of dining guests. The staff made no attempt to discourage her. After she passed out on one of the booth seats, a waitress asked her if they could call someone to get her, but she declined. We were not aware if they called the police. She was still laying there about twenty minutes later when we left. It was not the sort of behavior I would expect to be allowed at a family restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Great for breakfast before Winn Dixie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I eat here every week or so before I go grocery shopping. It saves me money on impulse buying because I have a full stomach. The breakfast can be good, but they're still getting the hang of it. Lisa is always friendly and makes breakfast a worthwhile dining experience even when there are observations for improvement, especially attention to detail, like serving buttered toast that should have been dry, overcooked eggs, etc. I went for dinner one time and didn't like their "seafood" special. I haven't tried the other items on the dinner menu, but one issue I have is their no-substitution policy on some dinner specials. I really enjoy the lo carb breakfast (3 large sausage patties, 3 bacon, and 3 eggs), and they let me have rye toast instead of the nasty raw tomato (my opinion about raw tomatoes) so they do at least allow that substitution. I also enjoy the 3 eggs with toast and potatoes and a side order of 3 sausage patties for a reasonable side order charge. One ironic thing is their breakfast special is actually pricier than ordering it off the regular menu so don't order the 2 eggs breakfast special. It's never crowded at breakfast, and I wish the owners and staff success because, as I said earlier, it's a great place to fill the stomach before grocery shopping. Thanks Lisa especially and others too! I will keep returning to this diamond in the rough and am proud to now be considered a "regular".
P.S. If you go, ask for the punch card so you can get a free breakfast after 10 breakfast, lunch, or dinner visits when you spend $8 or more

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Holy #%$& How Bad can BBQ get?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was the unfortunate victim of a restaurant claiming to be a BBQ joint when they really should just shut the doors already. I have waited for a few years for this place to open and let's just say it wasn't worth it!!!! We showed up for lunch and had to wait a couple minutes for someone to seat us as there wasn't a hostess at the hostess stand. The decor is at best a mixture of hmmm just different stuff that just doesn't flow together but that's okay it's a BBQ joint. On to the food, the menu said hand rubbed bbq...blah blah blah I ordered the full rack of ribs with bbq beans and fries the wife ordered the cupcake chicken with mac and cheese and bbq beans fast forward fifteen minutes and the food arrives......i thought I had entered another dimension the ribs might have been hand rubbed but not with any bbq rub or seasoning literally just by a hand absolutely no taste and the bbq sauce tasted like a bottle of ketchup with some other seasonings. The BBQ Beans tasted like a cheap can of beans with a cup of cinnamon and brown sugar added to them...enough to gag a maggot but hey the fries were okay. The wife's cupcake chicken looked cute but was a handful of dark meat with some season splashed across it surface and baked in an oven. The chicken although cooked well had a horrid taste of well we could not come to agreement as to what the taste was although not enough t gag a maggot it was barely palatable, the bbq beans were just nasty and the mac and cheese had to be sent back to due to absence of the CHEESE! All in all this was a horrible experience and I must say I don't know who is running this place but they seriously need some cooking lessons, I mean I understand if you just make lousy BBQ but to successfully mess up the mac and cheese and bbq beans just torch the menu and start over with some expert help. On a positive note the service was tolerable.

• Visited March 2013