“We are still confused” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Turkish
Orlando, FL
“We are still confused”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We have driven past this restaurant many times, lamenting the demise of the one that was in it's place before, and finally decided to give it a try. It was a Friday evening and there was a saxophone player in the garden. When we walked in the door I almost turned around to leave, but we had heard the food was good and decided to stay plus the restaurant was full. The decor is shabby, not shabby chic, just shabby...they seem to have no idea who they are and seemed to have done everything from leftovers or garage sale finds.
The menu too was confused, it seems to be half regular American food and half Turkish. The waitress told us that they were trying to move more toward the Turkish cuisine, so we ordered from that side of the menu. The food was good, but not great. The eggplant salad was very tasty but also VERY garlicky, so much so that I couldn't finish it. Perhaps if it had come with more pita, I would have. My Adana kabobs were good, but nothing to rave about. They had a good flavor but could have been more tender and the vegetables were undercooked. My husband had a soup and two appetizers for his dinner. Again, all were good, but nothing that made us think, "Oh, we must come back!"
The upside, very reasonably priced with most entrees in the $8 to $12 range.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Orlando, Florida
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Average for me. I enjoyed my gyro but my friend had the tomato (?!) soup and it was awful. Then my other friend had the shrimp dish and she said it was average. The hummus is good but you don't get nearly enough bread to dip. Overall worth a try once if you enjoy mediterranean cuisine. Check out restaurant.com to make it more worth your while - my whole meal cost me $5 so that made it a great deal for me. My friends were not quite as pleased :)

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida, United States
“yum! get the adana kebab”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

In the Mills50 district area, the Asian restaurants are great but what about other cuisines? Located on Mills Ave, Atilla's Steak & Salad features sandwiches, salads, steaks, pizza and Turkish cuisine. I have past it many times but it never stood out to me. Since it is located close to work, it was a good opportunity to try this restaurant out. Outdoor seating is available and the dining room itself isn't very big. What was big, was the friendly service. The servers were very pleasant, prompt and helpful with the menu.

The decor inside was very clean looking, a few decorations here and there on the wall but nothing exciting. The silence in the restaurant was very apparent, some background music would have been appreciated. As I had mentioned before, there was pizza listed on the menu but only cheese or Mediterranean. Not much options as far as that goes. That's ok, I didn't come here for the pizza instead I wanted to see how good this "Turkish cuisine" is. The Adana Kebab and the Kofte stuck out to me. The Adana Kebab is the spicy meatloaf. Spicy, they say? Let's see about that. Whichever dish shall I choose? The options, the options... Well, luckily they have a mix and match option which definitely works for me! The spicy meatloaf it is and the kofte (grilled meatballs). The Turkish entrees come with your choice of a side item (side salad, shepherd salad, eggplant dip salad, spinach dip salad, potato salad, black-eye bean salad, french fries, mashed potato). That's quite a bit of side items there.

The eggplant dip salad sounded good. I automatically thought it was going to be baba ganoush. Baba ganoush is a wonderful eggplant dip dish that had cooked eggplant mashed with olive oil and seasonings. It's very similar to hummus but made with eggplant instead. This eggplant dip salad (Patlican Ezme) was more yogurt based. It wasn't bad at all, just definitely not what I expected. They ought to call it a yogurt dip. The eggplant flavor didn't come through as much as I had hoped. The two little pitas were cute though. The spinach dip salad (Ispanak Ezme) was yogurt based as well. At least the spinach flavor was more prevalent. I definitely could have used more garlic as well. Both dishes are served cold and I recommend you save some of the dip for the actual entree.

It didn't take long before my meal arrived, it smelled amazing! I'm ready to chow down! The Kofte (grilled meatballs) typically have herbs and other various seasonings mixed in with the meat. It was bland for me. The texture wasn't overdone but the flavor was lacking. The spicy meatloaf was actually spicy. You could see the red pepper flakes in it, and it wasn't too spicy. The heat was a good amount that you could feel it but didn't have the sweating or the runny nose. I really should have just ordered the Adana Kebab. The grilled peppers and tomatoes were a tasty addiction. The red onions can be a bit strong for some but if you love onions then you'll definitely enjoy these. Raw onions with dill, parsley and some other spices added some more textures to the dish. The bulgur pilav is a pilaf dish similar to couscous/quinoa. It's got a little bit of a firm yet fluffy texture. And beneath all the meat is my pita bread. Oh yeah, about that...

All in all, I enjoyed my meal and left full. I didn't even get a chance to order any dessert. Aside from the bland meatballs, I'll be back here. Who knew this little spot would have been so good? Check this place out and remember to save your dip for the meat.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“(Atilla's) Very good food, reasonably priced.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Very much enjoyed the food. We had the Sigara Boregi and tried several different meat dishes. The Baklava was fantastic. The menu at the restaurant is a bit unorganized-some items that were listed under appetizers were actually entrees. Would definitely recommend.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Don't judge a book by it's cover and a good example of this was my visit here.
This restaurant doesn't look like much from the outside but I went there to eat, not rate the physical appearance!
I visited my first Turkish restaurant last year and was not impressed with the food or service so I was a little reluctant to try another one but my empty stomach demanded I stop here after I left work 2 hours late.
What hit me immediately when I walked in was the aroma and the nice friendly greeting from the owner/manager. I prefer mom n pop restaurants because the service is much more personable and I like talking to people who enjoy cooking, something you can't do at the chains.
I ordered the best tasting gyro ever which was stacked full of fresh, hot and tasty meat.
I rarely eat french fries because of all the grease but when I saw a customer next to me served with some I couldn't resist and requested the same. I had to wait while they were cooked fresh and it was worth it. These fries were the big thick kind and some of the best I have ever put in my mouth.
Trust me when I say I will be having lunch here once a week from now on!

• Visited January 2013