“Farm to Table in the Middle of Franchise Central” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rusty Spoon

Rusty Spoon
55 West Church Street, Orlando, FL (St Joses)
407.401.8811
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: St Joses
Pensacola, Florida
“Farm to Table in the Middle of Franchise Central”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I travel to Orlando on business several times a year. It is hard to not end up at a national franchise restaurant that doesn't take reservations and that is overwhelmed with visitors.

The Rusty Spoon, located in the downtown entertainment district, is an outstanding exception.

The food is creative, well-prepared, attractively presented and advertised as being locally sourced. The wine and beer selection is eclectic and interesting. Service was attentive but we did not feel rushed.

The two of us each had a salad and entree. We enjoyed each. Dinner, including 3 draft beers, tax and 20% was $100.00

There is a fun vibe about the place. We enjoyed ourselves.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great. Local. Food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is a gem. No matter if you're a local or a visitor, put this at the top of your gastro to-do list.

My wife and I started with Cesar salads. The portions were enourmus! Easily shareable. The sale was dressed lightly and I was happy about this. Why? The greens were so very flavorful. Not the typical tasteless hearts of romaine that bring little to the party other than crunch. This salad is a winner.

For entrées, my wife chose coffee rubbed steak with a potato gratin. Cooked just as ordered and full of great flavor. I ordered the lasagna. An atypical preparation with only two sheets of pasta cooked al dente with ragu making up the middle. A nice portion. It was also one of the best pastas I've enjoyed outside of Italy.

Dessert was the show stopper. My bride enjoyed the brown butter cake a la mode. Moist and rich - not too sweet, either. I went for the grown up s'mores. Yeah, s'mores. This was the greatest combo of savory and sweet. I could not stop talking about it. Easily one of the best desserts I've enjoyed anywhere. I'd come back to the The Rusty Spoon if this was the only item on the menu.

Our bill with a half-off bottle of wine before tip was $120. We agreed that this was one of our best meals at that price, ever.

Make a point to get here!

Visited June 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Best food in Orlando. Period.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Our third visit. Best yet. Can't say enough about the creativity of the menu or the service. Both specacular. There were four of us. Started with two different salads: beefsteak tomato salad with feta cheese and a roasted pear salad. Both light, refreshing and beautifully presented. Main courses: corvina on a bed of sweet corn risotto; mahi mahi on a bed of spinach; remodeled lasagna and a pasta, mushroom, sweet corn confection that was truly outstanding. A nice Rioja kept us company. We finished with a pistachio gelato.

Couldn't fault this meal. We've dined in all the "best" restaurants in Orlando. None can best The Rusty Spoon.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami, Florida
“Excellent Food,not great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I were very impressed with the food. It was truly stellar. This chef can cook. Only miss was the smores dessert - way too rich. The restaurant is fairly nice looking, but we sat in the back area which was empty looking. It could improve a bit design wise. Our waiter wasn't the friendliest and gave us the impression that he had no time to waste with us, even though the restaurant wasn't that busy. When my husband asked for an explanation of the soup, the waiter was quite impatient. The servers who brought the food seemed to be running a marathon. They put the food down fast and dashed off even faster. If I am back to Orlando, I would eat here agin, for the food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Miami Beach, Florida
“Top-Drawer Dining in Downtown Orlando”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The recent gastropub trend seems to have evloved two types of restaurants: the narcissistic, self-aggrandizing type-- overly impresed with its mundane turns on common comfort food and the nuanced, self-effacing type that seeks only to deliver a comforting and creative dining experienece for all. The Rusty Spoon is top-drawer in the latter category. From smart yet attentive service to locally sourced ingredients given tastebud-popping turns, it exceeds where other gastropubs in Florida seem fundamentally unconcerned and uninterested. On this first visit the Docent enjoyed a warm beet salad dressed with honey roasted almonds and house made ricotta salata. That bit of springtime gave entree to more of the season with a beautifully pan-seared tile fish atop risotto greened with spinach, asparagus and peas. The blueberry cobbler, while way too much too much to eat, was appropriately Lucullan and low-brow all at the same time.

There's nothing "rusty" about this place; "sterling" would be more apt.

• Visited May 2013