“Wonderful (we keep coming back)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Cypress Palms

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Cypress Palms to your Saves list
Wyndham Cypress Palms
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5300 Fairfield Lake Drive, Orlando, FL 34746 (Formerly Fairfield at Cypress Palms)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% Off Discount
Ranked #141 of 328 hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Maine
“Wonderful (we keep coming back)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Stayed at the Cypress Palms for the last two weeks in April. The resort is beautiful and well kept. Pool area is immaculate. Staff very friendly and helpful. This is a wonderful resort. Very clean and well maintained. 5 minutes from Disney but hidden from the hustle and bustle of other resorts. The staff very friendly and helpful. Millisa at check-in is professional and always an absolute jewel. She made us feel special and was very accommodating to us. Thank you Millisa, we'll be back again soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

471 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Mars, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

We decided to take the grandkids to Disney this year but with the cost off air, tickets, car rental and food we were looking for something off-site. Since we are members of RCI I searched their database to find a hotel or resort in the area and chose the Cypress Palms not knowing what we would find. We were pleasantly surprised. check-in was very quick, the desk clerks were great and personable. we stayed in building 503 on the second floor. I was concerned as I took my mobility scooter with me, but I didnt need to take it to the room as parking was close and there are elevators if needed. this is definitely not a resort. We had a 2 bedroom and it had plenty of room. room 1 had a king bed and room 2 had two doubles. the room was clean but the kitchen was poorly stocked. it a couple utensils for cooking, glasses and plates a pot and pan and thats it. you need to supply everything else. luckily there is Walmart less than 10 min away as we made breakfast in daily. the pool was heated and very nice. lots of towels available but only 14 lounges for a large resort! come-on guys, invest in some lounges around the pool. the spa tub has hot and was working properly the entire stay. this resort/hotel is in a great location. although they dont have an on-site restaurant, it's just minutes from lots of food places and all the attractions. the kids enjoyed the pool more than Disney...go figure. one area they need to work on is towels in the room. you have to call the desk anytime you need more towels, however, delivery was quick but they did not supply and laundry bags to put the old towels in so we had tons laying all over the place, we finally got a walmart bag and stuffed them in it and called the desk to pick them up. there were activities daily for the kids but they never went to any of them. they have an activity center where they hold them. they also have a ping pong table and a broken fooz-ball machine in the building. thats about it for activities. Don't count on spending any time there. check-out was a breeze, drop off the room key at the desk and leave. if we went back to this area, we would probably stay here again as we know what to expect and the price was awesome. If we were not spending most of the time off the property, we would not return to this property.

Room Tip: ask for a room close to one of the pools
Apalachin, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed at the Cypress Palms through a RCI exhange for a week (April 30-May 4, 2012). This is a nice small resort. We have been to lot of resorts and it is pushing it to say this is a resort. There are only minimal child based activities and not much effort is put into the activities. For example junk food bingo was a bingo game with about 8 people present that gave away bags of potatoe chips, snacks etc. but you had to buy a card for a $1. There is no adult oriented activites, no bars, no restaurant on grounds, not even a breakfast area. The pool areas (2) are nice but small, the chairs are uncomfortable and need cushions.

This could more be described as an apartment complex for families going the Orlando parks. During the day the place becomes empty which is good if you want to use the pool. In the evening things pick up as the families return but by 9:00 the place is dead.

We had an older 1 bedroom (not the lockout side) with a full kitchen. The kitchen needed updating but was clean and average (pictures on the web site show the newer kitchens, you can tell by the appliances if white its old, it black its new). The bathroom also needed upgrading, though again it was clean and ok. The furniture was in good condition, the bed was average. We had a problem with the water heating up and they sent someone up. We found it takes a minute or so for the hot water to arrive, so be patient. Both of the window curtains were broken, one was at a slant, the other was hard to put down. They offered us another room but we could tolerate the minor issues. The balcony is screened in and the furniture is plastic and uncomfortable and was dirty. The balcony floor paint was considerably chipped. Overall the room was average, but it was clean. The grounds are nice, well maintained. There are many restaurants within walking distance and their back parking lots meet the edge of the resort.

We are a middle age couple, our children are grown and this is not the place for couples. It really is a good base for those with children, but the resort itself is pretty boring for couples with out children/grandchildren.

Now the biggest problem, we were told that as RCI members Wyndham had purchased RCI and we could attend a "Updating" of benefits and would receive a gift card and some vacation time. We decided it would be worth seeing what the updated benefits were. Now the problems that came with that decision.

First the updating. That was not true, it really is a timeshare sales pitch though they really don't sell a timeshare (IE; base resort) but instead sell you points based on your imaginary timeshare and your current timeshare (you trade your current timeshare weeks in for points).

They told us to meet at 8 in the morning in the main building for this presentation. When we got there after about 10 minutes a sales person asked us if we wanted to drive our vehicle or she could drive. We stated we walked over to the building as we thought she was going to show us a updated demo at Cypress Palms. She stated she was driving, then left the grounds. We asked her where we were going and she said "Bonnet Creek" . We stated that we thought everything was on grounds and she stated the main office was at Bonnet Creek so we went. Big mistake.

They told us the presentation was about 90 minutes. It lasted over 7 hours. It was a comedy of errors. There were no seats in the main area, so our sales rep. walked as around the halls and then pressd a button on a TV which had a video of Bonnet Creek. She then shot the "s" with us for another 15 minutes until a table became available. She then offered us some coffee, drinks, etc. and a bathroom break another 15 minutes. She then explain the same stuff we saw in the film and got some information from us, another 15 minutes. We stated we were not interested in a new timeshare and we were still paying on the old one. Another mistake as she then stated we could convert our timeshare to points with them. Another agent came to the table and the two explained, with a lot of gaps, the points program. Bascially they assign you points for your resort, give you points for the amount of purchase you make with Wyndham and give you some one time bonus points. They then handed me a form asked for my license so that they could see my credit (the license was to verify that I was me). The form was a credit card request (I read everything). I stated that I did not want a credit card and they stated that this was they only way they could make a credit inquiry in a rapid fashion (not true) and that I would not get the credit card unless I wanted it. I again stated that I did not want the credit card and they stated that I just had to sign that I wanted a credit review and give my ss#. I did. The aftermath, when I got home they sent me a credit card even though I did not fill out the form. I cancelled it.

The male sales rep. then went to sort out our credit rating (really mine as my wife had no ID and was told she should have brought one to which she stated, no one told her) and get some offers. They said what my credit rating was and came back with a $67,000 offer and for that each year we get 350, 000 points from Wyndham and the other stuff. We said not interested. Then they said they would look at something else and while they did we could tour the site. We then were taken four buildings away and up to the14th floor and the sales rep. took us to four rooms that would not open. She then started telling a housekeeping staff that she needed a room to show us. For 15 minutes there was all kinds of discussions about where the demo room was (you would think they might have this down, but nope). People were saying there was no one in the room, there were accusations of someone locking the door by mistake, security could not open the door and finally one staff found a room. Nice room, nice resort, but we stated we would not use this resort, even thought it had a lot going on as it was full of kids, they even had a small kids water park. We stated that though we like children but on vacation we liked peace and quite which does not go hand in hand with kids.

We went back and they gave us several new deals each time saying it was the best deal we could get then would go back to the "boss" and come back with a better deal. The whole time the kept saying the RCI was "ripping us off". Finally we stated we were done, that if Wyndham owned RCI, it was poor sales to say they were ripping us off, why would we buy from someone that was the owner of a company ripping us off? That this was not the presentation we were told about.

My wife and I agreed we were fine with what we had and when the rep. came back we stated it was over. We told them that the presentation was not what we expected, that we were not interested in Bonnet Creek, that the price was too much for us. We where then told a person would have to be a "idiot" not to accept the deal as it was worth ten times the amount they wanted from us. They told us how to use credit card accounts to avoid paying interest.

They went on to state that they could come up with new figures and then wrote them on a pieced of paper. We said no again and stated that a 90 minute presentation was now over 7 hours and we were done. Then they said it took that long because of all the questions we had. At that point I lost it and stated we only had questions about why this was taking so long.

They then took us back to our resort. We told the orginal sales rep. that we were disappointed about the inneundos that we were less than intellegent because they didn't have a product we liked. We then were asked where the "blue" slip was and we stated it was given to her at the start of the presentation and that someone had taken it off the table at the sales office. She stated that she couldn't give use a reward as the slip was needed and we stated we did not care at this point. She then stated maybe she could convince Cypress Palms to give us the gift with out the form. We went into the lobby and she talked to a person at the Wyndham sales desk and they got a form and told us to go upstairs to get our certificate. Upstairs was another sales room.

We were seated and a sales person came in and stated they were processing are gift and that they had a special one time trial offer in which we could get 184,000 points for trading in our time share and another 135, 000 points for $1795 for just one time. We asked what it would cost for a time share in Hawaii and they gave us a catalog which showed prices around 250,000 points. I stated it would cost me almost all my points for 1 week at the hotel and it would cost $1800 plus my time share for a year and she stated yes and I stated "That's one of the worst offers I have every heard of. I can trade my time share now for a week in Hawaii for $199 a week and only use one side." We were then told by another sales rep. in the room that we had be given a $47,000 offer for $1800 and I did respond "Your wrong its an $1800 offer" He then said 300.000 points is worth $47,000 and I said "are you nuts, you saying that a week in Hawaii is about $40,000 as it costs 250,000 points, that just another insult from you people." At that point I said give me the gift card you can keep the 3 day vacation, its not worth it.

Had to tell eveyone of this. We are well travel, have had the timeshare for a long time and we want everyone to avoid this problem. This is a big black cloud for any stay at Wyndham.

Cypress Palms is ok if your family is going to the parks. We have been to resorts where you did not have to leave the grounds for a week. That's a resort. Cypress Palms is more of a long term stay facility with about the same ammenties as a Residence Inn, just a little larger space.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room near a pool. When booking get a full kitchen. Full kitchens are never the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

We arrived here because another condo we booked nearby through RCI did not work out. We were so happy to be leaving the other place anything would have been an improvement. We were pleasantly surprised when we entered the main lobby here. It looked like the lobby of a typical 4 star hotel (Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.) A super improvement over the place we just left. We were hoping our unit would overlook the pool or lake but were told by Eva that they only had condos that faced the parking lot. Given that we were grateful to be there at all (and not at the place we just left) we thought, OK that's not too bad. We had a unit on the fifth floor so I figured we'd at least have a view of some trees. We thanked Eva for working with RCI and went to our condo.
Well, the condo did have an entry way from the parking lot but the main living area had a fantastic view - a garden / courtyard with a distant view of the lake. Very tranquil and peaceful; just what we wanted. Thank you Eva! We tried to thank Eva several times during our visit but she never seemed to be in when we dropped by. Sorry we kept missing you Eva.
The condo we had was a two bedroom and it was HUGE. I think it was a "refurbished" condo because it looked pretty freshly painted , the curtains looked new and most light fixtures looked pretty new. Except for the couch, the furniture looked good. The overall first impression was very good.
The only reasons we rated this property a 4 rather than a 5 were 2 reasons - the partial refurbishment and the fact that no one ever seemed to clean the elevators. The condo itself was more like 2/3 refurbished upon closer inspection. All the faucets were old, all of them needed new aerators and one dripped and another one leaked, The ceiling fans were old but all the other lights appeared new. The couch definitely showed signs of wear. A cleaning with fabric cleaner would have really helped. I have back problems so if you don't you'll be fine but I had to keep putting extra pillows behind my back to sit comfortably on the couch.
The counter tops and cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms were older but still in OK shape. Some appliances were older (washer dryer and microwave looked new). We only slept in the master bed and it was comfortable.
All kitchen utensils were included and there was a washer and dryer in the unit. Helped with $'s to eat in and being able to launder our clothes easily was great. Nice large screened in porch, too.
Except for the elevator grounds seemed well maintained and the pools were very nice.
Two computers in the main lobby for use free of charge (many places don't have that).
By the way, we unplugged our phones so wouldn't have to be bothered with timeshare sales. We didn't unplug one phone correctly and it did ring the first morning and we assume it was the timeshare sales (didn't get to it in time).
No housekeeping and that's the way we like it (I always feel I need to clean up for the cleaning people so no housekeeping is a good thing for me.)
What we wanted was a nice comfortable place to just hang out and this place fit the bill. I would definitely return.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
New B
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

We are owners at Westgate Town Center. We just took our kids to Orlando to go to the parks. We were approached by the staff to make an appointment for the sales pitch. We were interested in buying another timeshare as we like the Orlando area as we have kids and like going to the parks. We made an appointment for the last day of our stay as we wanted to experience the resort prior to buying anything. Well, when I went for my meeting that was arranged there was nobody there to meet me. The girl at the desk said Ashley wasn't in that day. She also asked if my wife was with me. I stated she wasn't feeling well. She said they could only give us a tour if we were both there at the same time. WTF? You only sell your timeshares to couples? Now that I think of it my wife used her credit card to book the rooms. So they needed her there to pressure us into buying. We were interested when we first got there. But after a week the only way we would have bought would have been at an extremely low price. Here's my review of our week at the Cypress Palms.

We had a one bedroom with a full kitchen. This unit is not updated and was not very clean.
It smelled of something... mold maybe. The floors were dirty. We cleaned them ourselves. Kitchen was outdated but all the appliances worked. The pull out couch might as well had paper towel covering the bedsprings. My kids complained about it the first night and my oldest had a very sore back by day 8. Our bed was a king size and was also very uncomfortable. The jacuzzi tub was filthy and we didn't use it for fear of catching something. The shower in the main bathroom was also filthy. The tile and grout was dirty and scummy. The water stank. Overall the state of the room was extremely poor. Compared to our Westgate it's a 1 out of 5. The grounds on site were well kept. The pool was half clean. Not the cleanest and not heated. It left a film of scum on your skin after being in it after a while. Not the worst though. After all I read on here about the updated rooms I was interested in seeing a newer unit. The grounds and location made it worth a look. However, no salesperson was there to meet us at our prearranged time. Nor was it acceptable that they wouldn't show me around without my wife present. I have a credit card as well. Long story short. We bought another timeshare at Westgate Towncenter. Cypress palms lost out due to poor customer relations on behalf of their sales team. Westgate won because we know them and they treat us well. Their accommodations are also way better than this place. I would stay here again in a pinch. If it was the only place available. Staff at the activity center were nice. Try to avoid it if you can. If you can't. Oh well. There are worse places. I just don't like the shady dealings of the girl who said " We only give tours to husband and wives together." Don't lie to people. It's bad business. Because of that you lost an Owner. Have a nice day.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you can find somewhere else. They lied to me about a timeshare meeting. Since...
Lafayette
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

My husband and I own a timeshare through RCI and we booked our first vacation at Cypress Palms thru RCI. We were both really nervous about it, even though we read ton of reviews before booking. It could not have surprised us more! The buildings on the outside look well taken care of; the overall outward appearance looked great. I had read some reviews that complained that their room wasn't ready upon check-in. However, the staff was nice, polite and our room was even ready an hour before check-in. As soon as we were checked in, the timeshare group did hassle us to sign up for a timeshare meeting which we did but we ended up not attending. We did unplug our room phones as soon as we got into the room because I had read some reviews that if you do not show up for the timeshare meeting that they call you often.
The room was unbelieveable. My husband and I were worried that it would be small and dirty but it was huge! We had a full kitchen that was stocked with whatever we would need (other than food of course), washer and dryer with deteregent, large bedroom, large living room with dining area and a bar with barstools, a good sized bathroom with shower, a separate room with another sink and a bathtub.
The hotel is within good distance of Orlando attractions. We rented a car and was able to get to Universal Studios and Sea World within 15 minutes. We didn't go to Disney however that exit was closer than Sea World. We also traveled to Busch Gardens down I4, took about an hour and a half and didn't have to pay any tolls. There is multiple resturants along hwy530 along with entertainment areas (such as mini golf, bowling, Old Town) and shopping (Target, Walgreens, CVS, and Walmart).
There are also two pools and they provide beach towels. The chairs aren't the best but the pool is clean and heated and not too overly busy.
I would most certainly stay here again! I loved every minute of the vacation! :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New Brunswick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed here using a Wyndham gift voucher - paid $159 for 1 week, so the price just couldn't be beat! We were checked in quickly and referred over to Member Services for our parking pass and this is their way of pre-qualifying you for a timeshare info/sales session. They weren't pushy about it though. When we got to our room we found it to be well laid out and in good condition, a bit dated but not too bad. The Master bedroom was plenty large enough with a King size bed, big ensuite with a Jaccuzi tub and seperate shower. The second bedroom had 2 Queen size beds, a walk in closet and a door into the main bathroom which had a shower/tub combo. Kitchen was relatively small and didn't have a lot of space for food storage but that shouldn't be a problem if you are only staying for a week or so. Living room dining area and kitchen were one big room and worked very well. There was a decent sized deck off the living room that was screened in. Not sure why it was screened in as there were no bugs when we were there. Overall our unit worked very well for our family of 4.

There is an activity centre for the kids which has a small arcade, a few games and they do have some activities planned. It is attached to the fitness room which had a few machines. There are 2 pools with 2 hot tubs. They are not large but while we were there they seemed large enough and were never over crowded. Getting to either pool was not that far of a walk.

The resort is situated on a small lake (or large pond). The other side of the lake backs onto some restaurants (Cracker Barrel, Uno, Chilis, Krispy Kreme) which are located on Irlo Bronson. These are a short walk from the resort, plus there are a number of other restaurants within walking distance.

We did receive a couple of calls during the week from Member Services asking if we would like to attend an "info session" on timeshares. They were not pushy but did offer some incentives ($100 and a free vacation) we eventually agreed to go to one at 8:00 am on the day we were due to check out. We were told it would be about 90 minutes and were lead to believe it would be on site so we left our 14 yr old daughter in the room alone. When we arrived for our "info session", we were told it was going to be at another location 15 minutes away. We didn't feel comfortable leaving our daughter alone with no way to reach us so we declined attending the session. The lady who was talking to us at that time went to see her boss to see if we could do it at Cypress Palms rather than drive off site, but she was told that it couldn't be done. No biggie for us as this gave us a little more time to check out. When we got back to our room we received a call from the original lady that called us and she apologized profusely and told us we could certainly attend an info session on site. At this point we were running late and declined. She was very apologetic and in the end still gave us a $50 gift which we certainly did not expect.

Although we are NOT fans of the Orlando/Kissimmee area, if you are going to do the parks then this is as good of a place as most. Overall we had a great experience at this resort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Cypress Palms? Share your experiences!