“A Trip To Remember” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
St. Albans, Vermont
“A Trip To Remember”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

We just returned from our April vacation in Orlando at the Horizons. I have to say that initially I was disappointed because the resort is so small and very close to the road. Our last vacation was at the Marriott Grande Vista and it was so secluded and difinitely more of an upscale property. Horizons lacks the "awe factor" that the Grande Vista emulates. I have to say that I quickly changed my mind though.
My husband describes the resort as having more of a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. After giving the resort a chance I knew he was right. The rooms are very nice and the two queen beds were difinitely a hit for the children. The Staff is very young but competent and friendly. I have two boys who are 10 and 6 and they just loved both the Pirate ship pool and the slide pool. Our room overlooked the pirate ship pool and it gave a tropical setting as well as one of excitement. We set aside days to just stay at the resort and let our boys participate in the activities. They loved the hoola hoop contests, the limbo, the dancing, the kareokee, the scooter races, the music and especially the miniature golf. The bar has great drinks and good food, some very special frozen drinks for the kids. The resort is so entertaining for the children that the adults can relax and enjoy.
As for the interstate 4 noise ,which was mentioned as a problem in other reviews, we never heard it even when we tried to listen. The resort has the ability to still be an oasis and the music, the activities and the splashing water sounds all cover any outside noise. And the hot tubs are the best design I've ever seen, even if they are busy you can still get a quiet corner to relax and enjoy.
My only request would be to add a market place convenient store, I did miss that.
Needless to say this resort is definitely worth a visit, we were all sad to leave it. As I learned first impressions aren't always right, give the resort a try. It just doesn't get any better than this for families. We will definitely be back.

• Liked — Activities, Pools
  • Disliked — No Market Place convenient store
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Bermuda Dunes, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

We traded a week at a Hawaii Marriott timeshare for a week here. We learned a valuable lesson - always read the fine print. Instead of booking a suite (which was pictured) we ended up in a "lock-out" room, which is just a basic room - on par with an upscale Best Western. If we had read the fine print we wouldn't have stayed here. The pirate-themed front desk staff wasn't very sympathetic. Arrr.

About the "lock-out" room. It was slightly larger than an average hotel room and had a small screened-in balcony. The theme is tropical, and the walls are painted bright yellow and the drapes are blue and green. The room also boasted a basic kitchenette, featuring a microwave, a coffee maker, a small refrigerator, some dishes, and a bar sink. The mattress on our queen-sized bed was springy, thin and cheap, but at this newish stage in its life it was okay. At one point my husband tried the couch's pull-out bed, but found it to be far worse. We had a smallish (27-30") television and asked the hotel staff for a DVD player, which they eventually supplied. All the countertops were white Formica and the counter in the bathroom was very low. The bathtub was shallow. All the plumbing fixtures were comprised of white plastic. No doubt this is a nod to their main clientele - kids.

Expect to receive an early morning phone call from a very enthusiastic timeshare salesperson if you are using a relative's or friend's timeshare.

Kids, kids, kids! They're everywhere. This hotel is a kid's paradise. There are 2 main pools, one with a nice waterslide, and couple of large hot tubs. There is a pirate ship and some sort of tower that shoots kids with water. They lock up the pools and hot tubs around 10 PM. There is very basic miniature golf ($5 a day) course and a basketball court. I also saw a schedule for kiddy crafts and other activities. There's also a small arcade.

Best of all? There's a bar! The drinks are reasonably priced. You can also order some food there, which is a relief as this complex has no room service.

Frankly, if I had a small kid (and had actually gotten the room I expected), I wouldn't think twice about staying here. But there are much better options if you aren't traveling with young kids.

• Liked — Location, poolside bar, pool slide, lake dock
  • Disliked — Kids everywhere! Cheap mattress. Nothing luxurious at all.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

For spring break this year I took my 9 year old niece to the Horizons Vacation Club. We stayed in a studio room which was a good size and nicely appointed. I thought while we were there we would go to a park but my niece would have none of it. She loved the resort, she loved the pools, the activities, she loved everything. It is a great family resort, there is a kid’s night out which my niece loved, they have entertainment around the main pool everyday. The staff was wonderful, the room was nice, the pools were great. I can’t say enough about this place.

Stayed March 2007
Salisbury, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

Stay was okay. Rooms were nice and grounds were fantastic, but there were way too many shrieking children running frantically around the grounds.

I thought I was at Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory with kids full of sugar. It was not very relaxing as I was trying to take a few days off from a stressful job.

• Liked — grounds
  • Disliked — lots of unattended children, people clipping toenails by the pool
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fort Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

The star of this resort is its staff and its putt putt course. The pool area is nice especially for young children, under 10. The resort has a lot of activities especially if you don't want to visit the theme parks. The rooms are pretty basic, only one sink in the master bath, no mid week maid service or towel service. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner! The hotel is very close to Sea World. We would come back.

• Liked — Putt Putt Course
  • Disliked — Activites conflicted with touring theme parks and no maid service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

We spent 2 nights at Horizons and would love to return. We had a 3 1/2 year old and a 21 month old. The slides on the pirate ship were perfect for our 3 yr. old. The 21 month old could go down with an adult. The pool was a little chilly for the younger one, but fine for the 3 yr. old. One of the bedrooms has a king sized bed and the other has 2 queens. We had a screened in porch which was great for the kids to play. Overall it was just nice to have a place with slides at the pool and a separate bedroom so that when the kids went to bed, we could stay up and watch tv on the big screen tv. We booked this directly from Marriott's website. Be careful that you are definitely booking a a 2 bedroom as it seems they also have rooms more like a typical hotel room (without a kitchen, living room, etc). We joined Marriott Rewards and then searched google for a promo code for a Marriott Rewards rate, which dropped the price from $299/night to $224/night. We had a voicemail in our room to come back in the next year and do the timeshare tour for $399 for 4 nights. If you book a nightly rate like we did, try to do it on days which you will not be at the parks, so you can actually enjoy the resort. I don't know that I would pay the $ to stay here if we were going to be at the parks all day and really only use this for night time sleeping & naps. It seemed most of the scheduled resort activities were for children over 5. We can't wait to return simply for how much fun the pirate ship slides were for our 3 yr. old.

Stayed March 2007
Ann Arbor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

I'll be brief. This was a timeshare trade for us and we were very happy with it. We would stay here again! Huge suite, two bedrooms with full baths (one has a double shower). Clean, nice decor. Full kitchen with everything you need. Huge dining area that seats eight with two more kitchen bar chairs. Huge patio area with full size table and four chairs. Ours (building 15) overlooked the lake. Tons of entertainment for the kids: Pirate pools (one heated), basketball, playground, game area, arcade, and fishing pond. The food was just okay, but International Dr. (close by) has everything. This is a great resort! Close enough to Disney (about 3-5 miles) but not in the chaos. Nice place!

Been to Marriott's Harbour Lake? Share your experiences!