“More than a homebase for Disney vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #13 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Saskatoon, Canada
“More than a homebase for Disney vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My wife, daughter and I stayed here for our week of Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. We soon realised that the reasort itself would've been a more relaxing vacation without the them parks. The pool area is perfect for lounging, snacking, hot-tubbing, drinking, and tanning while watching our daughter play endlessly in the fun pirate ship pool area. The room was everything we needed and more (2 bedroom: 1 king in master and 2 queens in spare; each with a 3 piece bathroom). Dishwasher, fridge with ice maker, washer/dryer, 3 televisions, free WiFi, and all the other stuff that a fully furnished condo should have (pots, pans, Tupperware, plates, glasses, utensils, etc.) It had a dining area between the kitchen and living room that sits at least seven in addition to the tall stools on the back side of the island for eating breakfast. No problems finding parking any time of day. Very friendly, helpful staff. Great location right between Universal Studios and Walt Disney World (very close to Sea World). And of course, they had a computer center with free internet access for doing airline check-in and printing boarding passes.

They have many services that we never even tried (mini golf course, activity coordinator with full schedule each day, additional water park, spa).

Room Tip: We were on the top floor of our building (3rd floor of building 10) and I assume that helped to keep...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Sterling, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and my two boys (2 and 4) traveled here for vacation right after Thanksgiving from Virginia. I stayed here before in 2009 and wrote a review then. I will have to say that although I do like Marriott Harbour Lake resort for the most part, I don't think we will be staying here again. Per TripAdivsor, I heard about the rennovated rooms so I requested one upon check-in and I got one. When we walked in, we were very impressed by the room and it was very nice. The decor was VERY different than our first stay and we loved it! When I checked in on Sunday, we were told that we get daily housekeeping with the rate I received and I'm a Marriott Rewards Member. Monday, we didn't have a sign on our door for privacy so we assumed we would have housekeeping. We went out on and off the grounds all day and no housekeeping. I went to the front desk and they apologized and the manager said he would send somebody. I came back around 9:30 pm at night and the room was still NOT cleaned. I then complained again to the desk and they sent a night housekeeper there immediately and it was finally cleaned. Needless to say I was slightly irriated; but the rest of the days housekeeping came by promptly so I got over it. Another unfortunate thing was that on TWO separate instances....I saw a HUGE bug in our room. One was on my bathroom floor and I do mean HUGE....almost like a beetle or some type of roach. I killed it and flushed it. The next day I went to wash clothes and there was a huge roach in the washer. The desk apologized and said it was due to the rennovation, etc. That really freaked my wife out and even me, and I'm somehwat tolerable but these bugs were huge. The pool and bar was very nice and we had a nice time at the pools and my boys really enjoyed them. The pools were heated so that was cool. We also did some fun activities with the boys and took a family portrait and the workers were all nice. So overall, the hotel was nice and clean but I think we will stay somewhere a little more new and upgraded and not so "outdoorsy".

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We exchanged out San Francisco timeshare for the Marriott Harbor Lake. We have stayed at other Marriott timeshares in Bankgok and Phuket so this is not our first Marriott experience. We found this particular resort to be very easy to navigate, the staff very friendly. Our unit was on the top floor (6th) , was clean, in great condition and very comfortable, especially the bed. The resort is on the cozy side, which we prefer, unlike the sprawling space and impersonal staff we encountered in Thailand. We got daily voicemail updates on the on the day's activities but we were gone most of the time and never got to spend much time at the resort. The location is ideal for Universal Studios, which was litterally an exit away, so was Sea World. Disney was only 10 miles away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lutz, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

we took our kids there for labor day weekend 2012 and we had a great time. The kids loved the pool and we love been able to lounge by the pool while they were playing. Nice rooms and clean.We will definetely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Willams Township, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband, myself and our two children, ages 9 and 11 stayed at this property from 11/23 and will be here until 11/30. I am writing this review from our villa.

First of all, I am really shocked to see such great reviews about this property. It is at best "average" by any standards, but by a Marriott timeshare owner's "standards" (we own at Grande Vista), it is no where near what we have come to expect from Marriott.

We have been owners now for over six years. We own a one week, two bedroom, but because we have a lock off feature, we have been able to split our two bedroom and trade it in for two weeks , thus enabling us to take two Marriott vacations every year. We have been to over 15 Marriott timeshare properties across the US, and this one is definitely at the bottom of our list.

The reason we chose this property was because of all of the great reviews from Trip Advisor. I am a big fan of this site and the reviews are usually "right on the money", but not this time. The only reason I can think of why this "resort" (if that is what you want to call it) got such great reviews, is that most of the reviewers have never stayed at another Marriott property so they are not really comparing apples to apples. Don't get me wrong, not everything here is terrible. This property may be considered "beautiful" compared to other timeshares but if you are used to what Marriott usually offers in the way of their timeshares, you will be very disappointed if you chose to stay here.

I knew after staying at Lakeshore Reserve last year (Marriott's newest Orlando timeshare), that it would be tough to compare any other Orlando property since Lakeshore was wonderful, but I certainly was not expecting to walk into a room smaller than some hotel suites we have stayed in. I was also shocked to see how poorly maintained the grounds were, which is something else that Marriott normally excels at.

Here is the good, the bad and the ugly:

The good: If you are someone who does not like an "expansive" property, then this is definitely the place for you because it is small. The good part of that is that everything is compact; the two pools are right aross the "street" from one another, a very short walk, and all of the buildings are close to the pools. There is also a fairly nice size lake adjacent to the property. The only problem is that Route 4 sits right along side of it so as you are looking at the lake from your room (if you are fortunate enough to stay in one of the lake view buildings), you are also getting a clear view of a major highway and all of the cars that are on it. This might not bother some, but if you want to call a view "beautiful", the highway definitely spoils it. The pools are also "decent" if you have kids. Even though my two children were too old for the pirate ship, they definitely enjoyed the slide at the pirate pool. The rest of the "good" lies in the daily activities that are geared towards kids. They are daily and there are plenty of them.

The bad: This resort is just way too small. As I mentioned above, most Marriott timeshares offer beautiful, expansive grounds, even in Orlando. For those properties that are not quite as large as others, the grounds are still kept in near "perfect" condition with beautiful foliage and green grass. This property's grounds were flat out "ugly". There was a patch of "dirt" next to our building that was full of nothing but dirt and weeds. It looked terrible. I can understand if the owners didn't want to invest the money to maintain this, but then fill it in in with rocks or something. It is just an eyesore. I also mentioned above that the size of the villas at this property are much smaller than any other Marriott timeshare we have stayed at. Most (if not all) of the properties we have been to, have some type of "foyer" that you walk into before you reach the kitchen and living room area. Not here. When you open the door, you walk right into a "tiny" kitchen with very little room. If two people are trying to make breakfast in it (as my husband and I do for our kids), you are constantly bumping into each other. Normally, most Marriott timeshares also have a fairly decent size counter that separates the kitchen from the eating area. There is usually enough room to have several barstools in this area and then the kitchen table sits beyond the counter. The counter space in this kitchen is on the side, with room for only two barstools. This crowds the "walking area" from the kitchen to the bedrooms. Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting the kitchen to be the same size as someone's home kitchen, but the kitchens in these units are no bigger (in fact, I think they were smaller) than some of the lMarriott "Residence Inn" kitchens. Beyond the kitchen is a tiny eating area that has a diner style booth, along with a table and three chairs. This "booth" backs right up to the kitchen sink. Beyond the kitchen is a small sitting area with a couch and two chairs. The other thing that bothered me about these units is that the washer and dryer are Much SMALLER than other Marriott timeshares. There is also no separate wash room. This one sits right on top of the kitchen so you literally have to wash your clothes in the kitchen. Finally, we stayed in a rennovated unit. Although the counters were changed over to granite and the decor was very tasteful, you could tell that nothing was rennovated in either bathroom. The old formica counters were kept and the master bathroom was so small that there was only one sink (something else I have never experienced at any other Marriott). Again, this is not a big deal to some, but it's these "details" that Marriott usually gets right. Not here.

The Ugly: Aside from the ugliness of the resort itself, it seems like very little at this resort was maintained properly. When we first got here, one of the two elevators in building 12 was "Out of Service". It is now day four of our visit and it is still broken, with no sign that someone will be working on it soon. Then, two days in a row, my husband tried to use the outdoor grills. On both days, they weren't working. I do have to say the one good thing that the manager of this resort did was treat us to dinner since they could not get ANY of the resorts grills to work the first night we were here. However, that dinner was not automatically offered. My husband had to complain first and then (and only then) was it offered. We also had to have maintenance come and fix our hot water. It ran out after my son took a shower. No hot water? Really? Aside from the one elevator not working, the one that was working, was filthy. It smelled so bad that when we took it up to our fifth floor villa, both my daughter and I had to cover our noses so that we wouldn't get nauseous. Although I only swam for a brief time in the pirate pool, I noticed that the bottom of the pool was dirty. I mean that the floor was actually covered with a black grit. I didn't swim in the pirate ship pool, but my 11 year old told me that it smelled...UUUGGHH!

I know that it seems like I am ripping this resort apart. Normally, if you read my other reviews on this site, I usually give good, if not great, reviews but I just couldn't find much good in this resort. I guess that if I hadn't expected it to be so wonderful (as all of the reviews suggest), then I probably would not have been so disappointed. Also, if you are the type of person that is never in your villa (i.e., you leave first thing in the morning for the parks and don't return until the late evening), then none of this would probably bother you or affect you; but we are definitely the type of people that made an "investment" in Marriott so we want to enjoy not only the resort itself, but also our villa too. If you are more like us and want to enjoy your surroundings (both inside and out), I would definitely NOT stay here.

Orefield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Before I booked our week vacation over Thanksgiving I looked at the reviews and noticed Marriott Harbour Lake had some great reviews. Well the reviews are well deserved. We enjoyed the Poolside Bar and Grill for some sports and a great price and quality food and beverage. The mini golf was great. But the pools and hot tubs kept the kids busy and having fun. The staff is great and friendly. They have activities all day that guests participate in. Great rooms which are clean and just what is advertised. Will definitely stay here again!

Buford, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is the greeting we recieved upon arrival, while we have stayed at this property b4, we never realised just how special this property is. Check in was quick and painless, since we were checking in Thanksgiving week, we were asked if we would be cooking Thanksgiving dinner, when we said yes the front desk asked if we would like a disposible pan for the bird....this is the kind of little thing that makes this place so special. There are lots of activities planned this week, and the hot tubs have been a blessing after a full day on our feet. Our 2 bedroom unit is comfortably appointed and we really have found nothing to be amiss.The beds are so comfortable.The proximity to Seaworld/Aquatica/DiscoveryCove is right around the corner....so close that we came home for lunch then went back to the parks. You can't go wrong staying at this property.

Room Tip: If yoou can get a room on the top floor do it, you may have a view of fireworks from either Disney o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Harbour Lake? Share your experiences!