“Great base for Disney, Universal and Sea World parks” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #13 of 329 hotels in Orlando
San Francisco
“Great base for Disney, Universal and Sea World parks”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We exchanged out San Francisco timeshare for the Marriott Harbor Lake. We have stayed at other Marriott timeshares in Bankgok and Phuket so this is not our first Marriott experience. We found this particular resort to be very easy to navigate, the staff very friendly. Our unit was on the top floor (6th) , was clean, in great condition and very comfortable, especially the bed. The resort is on the cozy side, which we prefer, unlike the sprawling space and impersonal staff we encountered in Thailand. We got daily voicemail updates on the on the day's activities but we were gone most of the time and never got to spend much time at the resort. The location is ideal for Universal Studios, which was litterally an exit away, so was Sea World. Disney was only 10 miles away.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

993 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Lutz, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

we took our kids there for labor day weekend 2012 and we had a great time. The kids loved the pool and we love been able to lounge by the pool while they were playing. Nice rooms and clean.We will definetely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Willams Township, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband, myself and our two children, ages 9 and 11 stayed at this property from 11/23 and will be here until 11/30. I am writing this review from our villa.

First of all, I am really shocked to see such great reviews about this property. It is at best "average" by any standards, but by a Marriott timeshare owner's "standards" (we own at Grande Vista), it is no where near what we have come to expect from Marriott.

We have been owners now for over six years. We own a one week, two bedroom, but because we have a lock off feature, we have been able to split our two bedroom and trade it in for two weeks , thus enabling us to take two Marriott vacations every year. We have been to over 15 Marriott timeshare properties across the US, and this one is definitely at the bottom of our list.

The reason we chose this property was because of all of the great reviews from Trip Advisor. I am a big fan of this site and the reviews are usually "right on the money", but not this time. The only reason I can think of why this "resort" (if that is what you want to call it) got such great reviews, is that most of the reviewers have never stayed at another Marriott property so they are not really comparing apples to apples. Don't get me wrong, not everything here is terrible. This property may be considered "beautiful" compared to other timeshares but if you are used to what Marriott usually offers in the way of their timeshares, you will be very disappointed if you chose to stay here.

I knew after staying at Lakeshore Reserve last year (Marriott's newest Orlando timeshare), that it would be tough to compare any other Orlando property since Lakeshore was wonderful, but I certainly was not expecting to walk into a room smaller than some hotel suites we have stayed in. I was also shocked to see how poorly maintained the grounds were, which is something else that Marriott normally excels at.

Here is the good, the bad and the ugly:

The good: If you are someone who does not like an "expansive" property, then this is definitely the place for you because it is small. The good part of that is that everything is compact; the two pools are right aross the "street" from one another, a very short walk, and all of the buildings are close to the pools. There is also a fairly nice size lake adjacent to the property. The only problem is that Route 4 sits right along side of it so as you are looking at the lake from your room (if you are fortunate enough to stay in one of the lake view buildings), you are also getting a clear view of a major highway and all of the cars that are on it. This might not bother some, but if you want to call a view "beautiful", the highway definitely spoils it. The pools are also "decent" if you have kids. Even though my two children were too old for the pirate ship, they definitely enjoyed the slide at the pirate pool. The rest of the "good" lies in the daily activities that are geared towards kids. They are daily and there are plenty of them.

The bad: This resort is just way too small. As I mentioned above, most Marriott timeshares offer beautiful, expansive grounds, even in Orlando. For those properties that are not quite as large as others, the grounds are still kept in near "perfect" condition with beautiful foliage and green grass. This property's grounds were flat out "ugly". There was a patch of "dirt" next to our building that was full of nothing but dirt and weeds. It looked terrible. I can understand if the owners didn't want to invest the money to maintain this, but then fill it in in with rocks or something. It is just an eyesore. I also mentioned above that the size of the villas at this property are much smaller than any other Marriott timeshare we have stayed at. Most (if not all) of the properties we have been to, have some type of "foyer" that you walk into before you reach the kitchen and living room area. Not here. When you open the door, you walk right into a "tiny" kitchen with very little room. If two people are trying to make breakfast in it (as my husband and I do for our kids), you are constantly bumping into each other. Normally, most Marriott timeshares also have a fairly decent size counter that separates the kitchen from the eating area. There is usually enough room to have several barstools in this area and then the kitchen table sits beyond the counter. The counter space in this kitchen is on the side, with room for only two barstools. This crowds the "walking area" from the kitchen to the bedrooms. Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting the kitchen to be the same size as someone's home kitchen, but the kitchens in these units are no bigger (in fact, I think they were smaller) than some of the lMarriott "Residence Inn" kitchens. Beyond the kitchen is a tiny eating area that has a diner style booth, along with a table and three chairs. This "booth" backs right up to the kitchen sink. Beyond the kitchen is a small sitting area with a couch and two chairs. The other thing that bothered me about these units is that the washer and dryer are Much SMALLER than other Marriott timeshares. There is also no separate wash room. This one sits right on top of the kitchen so you literally have to wash your clothes in the kitchen. Finally, we stayed in a rennovated unit. Although the counters were changed over to granite and the decor was very tasteful, you could tell that nothing was rennovated in either bathroom. The old formica counters were kept and the master bathroom was so small that there was only one sink (something else I have never experienced at any other Marriott). Again, this is not a big deal to some, but it's these "details" that Marriott usually gets right. Not here.

The Ugly: Aside from the ugliness of the resort itself, it seems like very little at this resort was maintained properly. When we first got here, one of the two elevators in building 12 was "Out of Service". It is now day four of our visit and it is still broken, with no sign that someone will be working on it soon. Then, two days in a row, my husband tried to use the outdoor grills. On both days, they weren't working. I do have to say the one good thing that the manager of this resort did was treat us to dinner since they could not get ANY of the resorts grills to work the first night we were here. However, that dinner was not automatically offered. My husband had to complain first and then (and only then) was it offered. We also had to have maintenance come and fix our hot water. It ran out after my son took a shower. No hot water? Really? Aside from the one elevator not working, the one that was working, was filthy. It smelled so bad that when we took it up to our fifth floor villa, both my daughter and I had to cover our noses so that we wouldn't get nauseous. Although I only swam for a brief time in the pirate pool, I noticed that the bottom of the pool was dirty. I mean that the floor was actually covered with a black grit. I didn't swim in the pirate ship pool, but my 11 year old told me that it smelled...UUUGGHH!

I know that it seems like I am ripping this resort apart. Normally, if you read my other reviews on this site, I usually give good, if not great, reviews but I just couldn't find much good in this resort. I guess that if I hadn't expected it to be so wonderful (as all of the reviews suggest), then I probably would not have been so disappointed. Also, if you are the type of person that is never in your villa (i.e., you leave first thing in the morning for the parks and don't return until the late evening), then none of this would probably bother you or affect you; but we are definitely the type of people that made an "investment" in Marriott so we want to enjoy not only the resort itself, but also our villa too. If you are more like us and want to enjoy your surroundings (both inside and out), I would definitely NOT stay here.

Orefield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Before I booked our week vacation over Thanksgiving I looked at the reviews and noticed Marriott Harbour Lake had some great reviews. Well the reviews are well deserved. We enjoyed the Poolside Bar and Grill for some sports and a great price and quality food and beverage. The mini golf was great. But the pools and hot tubs kept the kids busy and having fun. The staff is great and friendly. They have activities all day that guests participate in. Great rooms which are clean and just what is advertised. Will definitely stay here again!

Buford, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is the greeting we recieved upon arrival, while we have stayed at this property b4, we never realised just how special this property is. Check in was quick and painless, since we were checking in Thanksgiving week, we were asked if we would be cooking Thanksgiving dinner, when we said yes the front desk asked if we would like a disposible pan for the bird....this is the kind of little thing that makes this place so special. There are lots of activities planned this week, and the hot tubs have been a blessing after a full day on our feet. Our 2 bedroom unit is comfortably appointed and we really have found nothing to be amiss.The beds are so comfortable.The proximity to Seaworld/Aquatica/DiscoveryCove is right around the corner....so close that we came home for lunch then went back to the parks. You can't go wrong staying at this property.

Room Tip: If yoou can get a room on the top floor do it, you may have a view of fireworks from either Disney o...
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I traveled with my husband and 8 month old daughter. It's a great place for families. The pools and activities are all designed around kids. If you're not traveling with children, this might not be the place for you. There are lots of activities and the pools are designed very well.

The rooms are typical of Marriott timeshare properties. They are comfortable and have plenty of room for the family. The front desk delivered a pack and play for us and offered a high chair without being asked which was nice. I really don't have any complaints. The lake is very nice as well.

I give it a four just because everything wasn't "perfect". There were ants in the room the day after we got there and they were supposed to spray but there were ants when we returned. It was handled the next day. Also, there was confusion over my reservation. I called the day before to check on checking in early, which they let me do, but only after I was told that they didn't have my reservation. It took me hanging up and calling back to talk to someone else who found it. Other than those small annoyances, it was a nice stay.

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We have visited this resort for the last three years and we can't say enough about it. The staff are very friendly and helpful, right from the cleaners to the front desk to the recreation staff. My kids have fun morning until night. Our room was spotless. The only complaint I have is that there is no television channel for the toddlers. They no longer have the disney junior channel which we really enjoyed the first year there. I would recommend bringing DVDs for young children.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott's Harbour Lake? Share your experiences!