“5 Star hotel with a 3 star price tag” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Orlando Downtown

You added Embassy Suites Orlando Downtown to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Orlando Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   191 East Pine Street, Orlando, FL 32801 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points & Breakfast
Ranked #173 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersBronze level
Trinity
“5 Star hotel with a 3 star price tag”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

We stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown Orlando so we could go to the Orlando Magic basketball game. When we checked in we were all wearing our Magic jerseys. We immediately approached by Daniel and he asked if we were going to the game, we said yes and he said if we meet back in the lobby at 6PM that he would take us in the shuttle. That was incredible because we would normally have to drive and pay to park at the arena and then fight the crowds to get out. Daniel dropped us off at the front steps to the arena and then picked us up right after the game. That was huge.
My wife and sister stayed back and enjoyed the manager's reception and waited in the beautiful lobby for us to return. We got back around 10:30 and ordered some appetizers and munchies, the lobby is like hanging out in your living room with the big screen TV.
The next morning we all woke up and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast buffet with cooked to order omelets and everything else you can imagine. The food is awesome by the way. We will definitely be going to more basketball games and staying at this hotel again. Normally this downtown hotel would be viewed as a business traveler's place but they certainly know how to treat the families.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Stuart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

My colleague spent 2 days at the Embassy earlier this month along with 65 other symposium attendees. Our stay was enjoyable and went seemlessly. The meeting room was well lit, well equiped and funtioned perfectly. I would highly recommend this facility for those seeking an intimate setting for a smaller group of upwards to 100 people. Our suite was impeccably maintained with well stocked coffee to brew first thing in the morning. The breakfast buffet was delightful. The complimentary happy hour in the lounge capped off a long day of meetings nicely.

Des Moines, Ia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

After having a stressful meeting it was great to be able to come back to this hotel. The manager's reception was great and the staff went out of their way to be friendly. Their fitness center was excellent and the rooms are huge! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Orlando area.

Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

I'll preface this review by stating that I lived in Orlando for 5 years (2001-2006), so I know the city well, and I know the neighborhood this hotel is in very well. There are pros and cons to staying at this site. I will start with the cons, and then give you the pros.

This was my first time in an Embassy Suites, so I don't know how it rates in terms of that chain. However, I feel like it's trying to be a better hotel than it is, and it has a lot of extraneous charges that are totally out of line for its class. For example, the hotel only offers valet parking--at $18 at night--which is absurd given that it's basically a glorified motel. Yes, you can park at the meters on the street, but it's a pain, because this area is a big party area and highly monitored by traffic police. Also, if you're going in and out a lot, that is a lot of tips to valets, so the cost is more than $18/day! On Saturday night, moreover, I had to wait in my car for over 15 minutes before I could give my car to a valet, because their entrance space really isn't large enough to handle their mandatory parking-with-the-valet issues. It was annoying and demonstrated to me how unprepared this hotel is to handle volume at peak valet times.

Also, the internet is NOT FREE, which is should be in this level of a hotel. I am used to paying for internet (although it bothers me) in flagship Marriotts or Hiltons, etc, but not (for example) at a La Quinta Inn and Suites--which is the level of Embassy, in my opinion. The Hilton overlords need to comp that, stat! Also, the "complimentary" breakfast (which you're paying for in the price of your room, actually), is lacking at this place. They have made-to-order omelettes on the weekday mornings (but not weekends), and they are yummy (and the guy making them is very friendly and professional). However, the extraneous things--bacon, potatoes, sausage, etc--are just sitting out and are inedible--they are GROSS. On the mornings when the omelettes were not available, I had a bagel...which was ok, but not "Made to order," as they advertise.

The building is also poorly constructed, in terms of handling noise. The suites all have doors and windows that face an inner atrium, as well as windows that face the street. The atrium is EXTREMELY loud, especially at night, when people are partying in the bar (which is at the base of the atrium). I felt like I was in a college dorm! Moreover, the windows facing the street at not double glazed, so all the noise of the street comes into the bedroom, which is especially annoying when local bars are hopping--the sounds of shrieking drunks waft into your room. Most annoying, however, is that the walls are paper thin--one night, I had neighbors who were partying loudly in their room--so loudly that I could not fall asleep until I put on my noise-canceling headphones! That is RIDICULOUS.

The rooms are dark, too, and because the only window for the "living room" of the suite overlooks the interior atrium, the darkness feels magnified. This is ANNOYING. I prefer hotel rooms that have more natural light.

I think the design of the rooms has some other annoying qualities. For example, the nook holding the towels in the bathroom is at the opposite end from the shower, so, if you forget to stack them up onto the sink before bathing, you have to get out and walk, dripping wet, across the bathroom (which is large) to get the towels. Also, all of the lamps next to the bed can only be turned off if you step out of bed, because the switches are far higher than what a person can reach while in bed. I stay in a lot of hotels, so things like this stand out to me as annoying details that illustrate little thought at the design level. I also found the decor ugly.

Now, the pros. The suites are clean (except I did have to ask them to clean a debris-streaked mirror when I checked in!) and bedbug free (I meticulously check every room that I stay in immediately upon check-in), the bed is pretty comfortable, the towels are comfortable, and the people working there are very nice. The rooms have good coffee makers, fridges, and microwaves, although no safes. The location is great and mercifully outside the realm of the amusement parks--it seemed to me that most of the people staying there were business people and family/friends of locals, as well as partiers, NOT tourists trying to have their Disney experience. As a former local, I appreciated being away from the direct influence of the Mouse. There is a great Publix supermarket, as well as many restaurants, bars, and cafes within walking distance, as well as Lake Eola (which is pleasant, when the weather is good).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to people who want a decent place to stay in downtown Orlando, but be prepared to pay a lot more than your up front room price, if you're going to have a car and want the internet. Also, bring ear plugs if you want to sleep while drunken businessmen and their partying ladyfriends are shrieking through the night. This is a really good place if you want to escape Disney et al. I stayed their four nights, and it worked out well for me, even though I found a lot to complain about.

Lithuia Springs, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

Nice, well kept place...Have a good 4 days stay.Very nice breakfast, friendly and helpfullstaff...comfrotable adn clean room,what more do you need while on vacation???

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

First of all I arrived at the hotel at 12:00 and my room was not ready. No problem, I just ate at the restaurant. The room was nice. I had a balcony overlooking the lake. I had suite room with a refrigerator, sink, microwave and a safe. The bathroom was clean, and the bedroom was nice. Bed was very comfortable. I stayed there 5 nights.. and I slept well each night. The bar had a happy hour where all drinks were free from 5 30 to 7 30 I think.. 2 hours. This was nice!!! How many places I have ever been to did that. The man said "no charge" I said really? for my scotch on the rocks? "Yep" This is nice. Breakfast is free too. Order an omelet or whatever. I am not a big breakfast eater so I just had coffee and a blueberry muffin and took off with my car already parked out front.
Service was excellent. I really liked this place. Everyone was extremely nice. I give this place a 5 and I tell you. I am honest about my ratings. Location was great. They could have had a few more selections of restaurants.. but for the most part it was good. There was a nice sports bar called the "Clubhouse" a block away. Great place. I think I went there 2 or 3 nights. It was football season. Nice looking women, friendly staff. Big screen TV's. I liked it when you call down for your vehicle, you go down there and right away your car is there. When you get back.. they are right on you. As I said, I go to Orlando at least twice a year. I am staying here from now on. I like this place. They get a thumbs up in all categories.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

In town for citrus bowl parade. Arrived late with a 9 yr old. Parking attendant great places to go suggestions. (didn't give concierge a chance). Bartender had friendly beer suggestions. Room was awesome. Husband watched games in beautiful suite area while me and my daughter went to bed. (okay we watched some tv too. but not football.) Breakfast, awesome. Waffles with fruit and whipped cream! Omelet bar!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Orlando Downtown? Share your experiences!