“A little dated maybe but lovely views and lots of space.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rewards Members Save 20%
Ranked #66 of 328 Hotels in Orlando
Ontario
“A little dated maybe but lovely views and lots of space.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We just recently stayed there (my husband and I) and we were pleasantly surprised to find it was away from all the hustle and bustle of the other Marriott resorts in the area. We mostly had the pool to ourselves, there are not vey many units and you get the impression more of a little village than of a touristy resort. The reception staff was extremely helpful and we really enjoyed our stay there. The shower is very spacious but we were not crazy for the side jets. The only negatives we found: the huge panoramic windows were dirty and the traffic noise from I-4 was quite loud. All things considered, we would stay there again in a heartbeat. It was so conveniently located: close to Disney, to I-4, and a breeze to get to the factory outlets etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We just checked out today, my wife and I. Sabal Palms was a trade through Interval International from our home resort in Colorado. First off, this timeshare was OK but not great. The best: The staff. Everyone we spoke to was friendly, helpful and generally great to meet. From J**** at the front desk, to C***** who has been a housekeeper here for many years, we couldn't have asked for better.

Now, for the unit itself. We previously (one month prior) requested a top floor 'quiet' room that was renovated and a non-smoking room. The unit given to us was indeed all of the above BUT I suspect one of the most recent guests either smoked in the room (or they just stood in the screened in patio or near the front door to do so) Either way, we asked to see another room. No other rooms on the top floor (only 2 floors here and no elevators if that is an issue for anyone) Just the same, J**** at the front desk allowed us to check out 2 other rooms since we had not moved into or used the first condo yet. We chose the 3rd unit, bottom floor 2nd building over from the pool. Quiet, or so we had hoped. There is a shared screened in porch\patio with a nice set of chairs and a table. You may enter the patio via the master bedroom or living room. Depending on what direction the wind was coming from, the noise from the I-4 interstate just 1/2 mile to the west was between noticeable and loud. If both of the patio doors were closed it wasn't that noticeable, but we didn't use the patio the entire week we were there (due to the noise level) and only left the door open when we were gone (slightly) to air out the place. The unit(s) all 3 we were shown and the last one we chose of course, all had that musty old hotel room smell. Not terrible mind you, just not what we are accustomed to for a Marriott class hotel. If odd odors are a bother to you, look elsewhere for your stay.

Another point I would like to make is that the general maintenance of our unit could have been better. The towel bar rod fell out of the holders (since they were mounted too far apart) No big deal,there were many towel bars to choose from. Next, was the toilet in the main bath. Why it didn't leak when flushed was beyond me. The bolts were loose and if one sat on it (and I'm less than 160 lbs) it rocked and twisted in a most disconcerting manor. Another problem - There were 2 large tiles that form the steps up from the master bedroom to the bath area that were loose (more on the steps in the unit later in this review) The grout around the 2 vertical tiles has been missing for some time, and the only thing still holding them in place is the carpet. The weatherstripping around the front door was hanging down in several places,and I was tempted to just tear it off, but figured someone may be able to glue it back up (even though some of the lengths were already missing) The toaster only barely toasted one side of the bread, and there were very small bugs around the kitchen sink area. On a side note: I did take some video of the place including the inside of the condo showing the entire condo including the maintenance items mentioned (in case someone may think I just made this all up)

The last point I would like to make is the general 'newly renovated' rooms others are talking about. The units are generally clean, but outdated with the exception of the newer flat screen TV's and the newer cabinets and counter tops. The carpet needs replacing, all of the furniture is very dated and older looking. Clean however except for the carpet, it is old looking for sure and the brilliance has gone out of it some time ago.

The mirrored closet doors in the master are heavy, which isn't bad I suppose, but I could imagine what one child could do to another using one of these doors in a non-recommended manner if you know what I mean. Speaking of closets, there is a nice electronic safe in the master that my 16" Toshiba fit into, but just barely. Barely fitting is better than not fitting, so that's a good thing (unless one has a 17.3" laptop in which case you would be out of luck)

I promised to mention about the steps inside the unit. There are 2 steps down from the main entry area (past the kitchen) into the living area and master bedroom. Then, there are 2 steps back up from the master bedroom space into the master bathroom area. A nice touch is the built-in night lights near the steps in case one should forget at night. The reason I mention the steps, is because the Sabal Palms units cannot be considered handicapped accessible (in my opinion) That being said, one could avoid steps by staying in the 2nd bedroom and not venturing beyond the kitchen. You would have to watch the living room TV from a distance, but it could be done. I just don't know how one would eat though since the dining table is on the lower level (TV Tray maybe?)

Another thought. As others have mentioned Sabal Palms has an amazing shower in the master. A rain head out of the ceiling with a separate control for the 2 wall shower heads which covers much of the middle and lower half of your body. All inside a curved obscure glass room which opens out to next to the front entry door. Quite interesting to say the least. A bonus (?) of this glass obscure window is that the front porch light shines through to the master bathroom and bedroom at night. Nice, unless you want it completely dark when sleeping.

Even the drive into the Sabal Palms resort is different. Compare it to a long and winding road that leads... anyway, past the parking for the Marriott World Center and behind the MWC itself. Good signage works however, so one won't get lost.

Final thoughts: Sabal Palms is nice place and off the beaten path for sure. If it weren't for it's proximity to the I-4 interstate it would be indeed quiet. Although we did notice some noise from the unit above, especially over the hard tiled floor areas, it was quiet for the most part (just keep the patio doors closed if your screened porch faces I-4) The staff is exceptional. Did I forget to mention we had a golf course view? I helped some of the golfers find their balls that had made it to the sand trap and water 'moat' just outside our unit.

I hope this review helped someone to decide whether to stay here or not.

Thanks for reading - A fellow traveler from Colorado.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor for a quieter room or the bottom floor if you don't want to walk up the 16...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Middlesex, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

So what that the big pool is closed. This place has put in place some great new things to entertain! New kids place, teen room and they even moved a whole bar to one of the other pools so the adults can imbibe. 2 bedroom is perfect and we can see the downtown Disney area and what i think is the Epcot fireworks show each night off our balcony! Seriously great spot! Front desk folks are also above and beyond helpful!

• Stayed November 2012
Cheektowaga, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Sabal Palms is an older condo BUT has more square footage than a new build plus it is totally renovated.Stayed here with my daughter,her hubby and my 2 granddaughters (11 and 9),everything was in great shape,the shower in the master was incredible,everything was in good working order.We did not go into the parks but hung around the resort which my granddaughters loved,they hung out at The Den,the front desk provided everything in the form of any games etc.
You need a vehicle to get around and into Downtown Disney etc but all is within 10 min of driving.
Only negative,we were close to the constant drone from I-4 which was bothersome on the balcony and while outside.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here on an Interval International Getaway. The 2 bedroom condo was very large, clean, and comfortable. Large kitchen, large walk-in tiled shower in master bedroom. It is close to all the Orlando attractions and many restaurants. We missed the Marriott World Center main pool since it is under construction until about December, but we were pretty busy going to Universal, Sea World and Discovery Cove so not a big problem. We would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
dnialcdlo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My parents own a week at this time share and we have gone year after year. It's not quite as "showy" as many of the newer places, but I love it more and let me tell you why. The property is set behind the HUGE Marriott Orlando World hotel so location is amazing! From the entrance of the hotel you can drive a few miles straight and hit 192 which has every restaurant imaginable and not as crowded as many of the more touristy restaurants further north. Within a few miles to the left you can pick up groceries at the Walmart, and a few miles to the right you can be at Disney World or Downtown Disney in minutes!

What I really like about this time share is that it's small and secluded. No one would even know it's there. You can park your car right outside your unit so there is no long walk lugging beach toys, coolers, and such. There is a separate pool just for the time share folks. It's nothing fancy at all but it's generally empty! There is a water cooler to fill up your bottle and since it's on the golf course, it's quiet and relaxing. If you want a more resort feel, a short paved walk has you to the big hotel pool where you can use your time share key to purchase snacks, dining items, or drinks from the pool boys! There are also several places close by that will deliver a pizza pool side! The Marriott resort has a nice health club that if you were staying in the hotel, you'd probably never use because it's tucked off to the side. That makes it a perfect place for where you'll be! There is also a small workout room off the private pool of the time share as well. You get all the amenities of a Marriott (including toiletries in the bathroom and other perks) but the privacy of your own villa.

Last spring when I was at Sabal Palms, a friend and her family stayed in the hotel at the same time. Her family of 4 smooshed into a hotel room for double the price of my two bedroom, two bath condo that housed 6 of us comfortably. She had to take her family out 3 meals a day while we made breakfast, packed picnic lunches, and only ate out each night. Having laundry IN the room is also nice for drying towels and cleaning up sandy clothing before heading home.

There are time shares all over the place in Orlando but if you want quiet, relaxing, and want to forget you're in Orlando, this is the place for you!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Florida, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I am a Marriott Vacation Club owner and I used points to stay at Sabal Palms to attend Epcot's Food & Wine Festival. Because I am already an owner, I knew what to expect in regards to accomodations -- large, two-bedroom, two bathroom villas with full kitchen and washer/dryer. As was expected with Marriott, everything was impeccably clean, and these villas are actually larger than others I've been to. This is one of three MVC properties at this location and the farthest from the main road and quietest. The pool was clean and quiet, even in the middle of the day. The reception staff were more than accomodating - I arrived early before my room was ready and the woman took great pains to ensure that I received a villa in the location I wanted - which I did. The location is right off of I-4 and only a ten-minute drive to all the Disney attractions and within 30 minutes of all the others. Because this is a time-share property, there are no restaurants on site, but the large Marriott World Center hotel is a two-minute walk from Sabal Palms and that hotel has enough restaurants and lounges and another, larger, grander pool to make anyone happy. The only thing I did not like was the fact that the grocery store for the time shares was down the road at the Royal Palms resort -- about two miles -- but a free shuttle is provided and they will wait for you to shop & then bring you back. I would highly recommend this resort for the nice respite it gives from the hustle and bustle of an Orlando vacation. Yes, it is very quiet, but the Marriott hotel is only a short walk away if you crave nightlife and cocktails.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 4100 building overlook the golf course, which makes for lovely views and quiet nights.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Marriott's Sabal Palms? Share your experiences!