“Dont expect the world and you'll be fine” 3 of 5 stars
Review of International Palms Resort & Conference Center

You added International Palms Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
International Palms Resort & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6515 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819 (Formerly Holiday Inn Orlando International Drive Resort) (Florida Center)   |
Ranked #233 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
“Dont expect the world and you'll be fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

This is a bog standard motel/hotel. Its cheap and therefore don't expect to much.
Free wi-fi but we had a terrible time trying to connect on a daily basis.
The hall way in our block (D) was grim, I mean really seedy. The rooms were basic, clean but in terrible need of an update. Clean towels when you wanted and clean bedding etc. You did get a microwave, fridge and coffee maker though which was great. Plenty of free parking. Staff really nice. (Not that we really had much to do with them to be honest.)
The crocodile enclosure is cruel and in my opinion is just not necessary. Music by the pool is to loud and its on all the time, so if u want to read your book don't expect peace and quiet. (This really bugged me). You are not allowed to bring your own food or drinks by the pool, they want you to use the pool bar.
If u are using just as a base its fine. It has a shop selling the basics/gifts and food etc. The snack bar was good for sandwiches on the go.
Pizza hut close by which was handy for evenings when you just rolled in from the parks etc.
In the middle of I-Drive near Wet and Wild so really handy for restaurants and Trolley/shops etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a re-furbished room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
I am pleased you enjoyed your clean room and our excellent staff. I wanted to share with you we are diligently working on refurbishing our property to give it a fresh new look and feel.

In reference to our Alligator Alley -these alligators have all been rescued and are being rehabilitated to again be released into their natural habitat. Our alligator staff uses the time to teach our guest about this part of our environment in Florida. Please know the Alligator Alley is under strict government and state regulations and are checked regularly to ensure the alligators are well cared for. I hope this puts your mind at ease and if we are fortunate enough to have you return, I hope you have the opportunity to learn about what our exclusive Alligator Alley is all about.

Thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014 via mobile

After reading lots of reviews about this hotel with my wife and 13yr old daughter we were a little worried on what we would find when we got there for our 3 week stay. We were put in the tower on the top floor (14th).
Yes the lifts can be a little slow especially when you have spent all day walking around one of the parks.
We found the the hotel good value for money, rooms in the tower are very spacious, and cleaned everyday with fresh towels given. The pool which is open from 7am - 11pm was clean. With my only moan was not enough sun beds.
We plan to return in 2017 and will be requesting a room on the 14th floor of the tower again.
One other point to note is
On arrival to the hotel I was asked to pay a $7.99 per night tax charge. I had booked through Thompsons and refused to pay as I was not informed about this charge.
The receptionist went to speak to a manager and came back to say no problem.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
How exciting to know you will be coming back to visit us again. Thank you for mentioning your clean and spacious room and please know we have added more pool lounge chairs.

I appreciate your taking the time to write a review and look forward to your return.
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Below this up to date review is my review from 2012, which I by accident had deleted from Trip Advisor, so I wanted to include it again.

So I didn't want to stay here again, but we went back to Orlando in December 2013 to get away from the great British weather and after reassurances by the then manager of the hotel Brent, I made contact as he requested, only to be contacted by a Luis Gonzalez as Brent had left and Luis promised us we would have a better experience this time and reassured us that he would personally sort out our room request, so with these promises in mind I booked again.

You guessed it on arrival, no such request re the room was noted at reception and they wanted to put us in the outdated tower, I even printed off the email he sent me to show them, the response from them is that the management make all these promises but never tell us. We got the room we wanted needless to say, but after such a long day and long flight you dont want to stand there arguing.

Sadly I can only report that the hotel in such a short period worse than last time.
We shared our bathroom for the first two weeks with a long black hair on the floor, it took until the 15th day for someone to do a proper cleaning job, I purposely left it there to see how long it would take.

On three separate occasions we were left towels with again big black hairs on them, and it was very obvious they were there to the room attendant as soon as you walk into the bathroom the towels are straight in your eye line, it looked like a massive black spider.

Also the block that we like to stay in you have to use your room key to enter the building making it more secure than an outside room and that is important in Orlando, sadly it was broken for the whole stay, allowing everyone and anyone in, we had menu’s from all the restaurants pushed under our door every night.

Again we had problems with showers, they did come and fix it but it’s just so old it just went again but we just managed anyway.

They were just installing a new coffee shop while we were there, but to be frank they need to invest in the rooms and the staff.

The staff are still the most miserable bunch around, the man at the desk for getting your park transfer tickets was the worse, looked as though he didn’t want to be there. They have sorted this out from last time, you pay a resort fee of $7.50 per day, which includes transport for the room to the resorts, free wifi etc and better timed buses, so that is better but it did need sorting out.

I reported noisy guests to be told that there was no one in the room next to us, so the staff still lie, or someone was squatting in the room or it could have been a herd of elephants that had sneaked in ,as there was no longer any security on the building.

They have moved the so called business area into the main reception hall, which also offers free wifi, one problem we had is that the printer ran out of ink on day 5, I reported this and they said they would sort it, I was not the only one to report this and I checked every other day to see if it had been sorted which it was not.

While sat at the hotel computers emailing the manager to complain, (yes even though he was in the same building the only way you get to talk to him was via email) there was a little girl sat next to me, who was there with her grandma, she had sat at the computer for ages making a thank you card for her grandma, only to find she could not print it due to no ink, she was very upset, that was in week two.

This point is relevant to my review, it’s not third hand or hearsay it was experienced directly by me as I was sat comforting the little girl who was in tears and at that point it directly upset me too, so I took the empty ink cartridge out of the printer and took it to reception to complain again and I even saw the same lady who said she would sort it. So you guessed it they never did sort it, I checked on the day we

They have also made something called alligator alley, god knows why, there are hundreds crammed into a small smelly area that used to have a few turtles in and fish, but now its just sick and cruel

On checking out (thank god) there was large queue, and only one person attending us all and to be fair she was very friendly, breath of fresh air, however there were two Asian girls just stood behind the reception, just looking blank, they were either looking at their phones or looking at their nails, but basically what were they doing there? They were not helping just a waste of space and others in the queue were getting frustrated.

I could go on and on, but basically stay there at your own risk, no promises no matter how big would make us stay there again, it’s a dump now and the staff don’t deserve the jobs they are in.

I have uploaded the hair gate photos the 12” one that was left on the bathroom floor and the towels this these were around 5” long and as you can see the photo of us waiting in the queue with the two girls doing nothing and the other girls working really hard.

May 2012 Review that was deleted by accident

I have stayed here when it was owed by Holiday Inn and it was a good hotel then.

Web site claims refurbishment, however I did not see this and in fact on one of the days we stayed in, there was some sort of meeting and they were unprofessionally talking in reception. What a presume was a visiting manager, was talking to a manager of the hotel, asking how long he had been there, he went on to say he had been there 9 years and that the refurbishment was not all that they had expected.

Plus points. Not many and not really to do with the hotel but its location

Great location on I Drive. You can get to Seaworld via the I trolley. Universal is a short Lnyx bus ride (bus 8 and 32) away 5 mins tops, costs $2 per person one way, don’t use the hotel transport its useless, several guests were left stranded one night and another bus driver took pity on us and took us to the hotel.

Plus the drop off time to Universal is late (the hotel buses are always late) and the pickup time too early if you want to stay in City Walk. Use the Lnyx they run till after midnight. Even a cab is only $6 plus tip, so if there is four of you its cheap.

Transport to Disney is either included in your Holiday cost depending who you book with or $14 return, Takes you to Epcot and then you have to use Disney transport to get to other parks (it used to have several drop offs years ago), last pick up time is waste of space as if you want to see the fireworks at the other parks you have no chance of getting back to Epcot for the last bus.

Once again you may as well use the Lynx buses. (bus 50 and 111) They have a web site and if you email them they will give you all the bus numbers and routes to get you about, they are very good at customer service.

It has a nice pool, but it is unmanned and therefore you have children doing running jumps into the pool despite it telling you not to, so as an adult forget a leisurely swim.

Rooms are basic, but clean, be aware that the all important air conditioning units are in the room, therefore take ear plugs as they are old and sound like tractors.

If you ask the staff anything make sure you take their name or better still get them to write it down, they either lie or are badly trained. There were three staff members guilty of this but I will not mention their names.

Couple of problems as examples.

Despite asking several times for our shower to be fixed, it never was, every time the staff just wrote it down on a scrap of paper, I think once we walked away from reception they just threw it in the bin, what do they care? you are English and live 1000,s miles away so you are not likely to come back once your holiday is over.

Other problem was in the first few days, as it had changed hands not sure how the transport worked. We asked at reception did we need a ticket for the Universal bus, we were told no sir just get on it.

The next day, stood waiting for the bus, lady from the hotel came out to tell people not to get on the first bus as that was not the right one, she then asked us all did we have tickets, and several of us had blank looks, we informed her that we were told didn’t need them, she said ‘did you by any chance ask a black man’ we all said yes at reception, she told us not to believe anything he said. We thought she was joking, but it appears not.

She then instead of going to get us tickets, made us queue in a now busy reception because people were checking out to get out tickets, what rubbish customer service and the bus was due at any minute. This was also the night we were all left stranded at the park, and the last time I used the hotel transport

The bar used to be lively, and now holds no attraction at all, we went to either the Buffalo Wings bar 2 mins down the road or the Black Angus Steak House bar, 5 mins the other way, staff much more welcoming.

The coffee shop has also gone to be replaced by a shop selling tat, there are many many shops on I Drive selling this sort of junk, in fact there are 4 opposite the hotel, don’t see the point the coffee shop was much better.

There used to be payphones in the lobby, they have gone. There is a phone to make free local calls, this did not work, I reported it four times in five days, ‘yes we will get it fixed’ I was told I could make calls from the room, I said why should I pay for a local call? I was told by an older gentleman receptionist, no you don’t have to pay for local calls from the room, you will get it back at the end of your stay.

Yep you guessed it another lie, I was charged for the calls.
Would I stay here again, no, not unless the staff went through a new training programme and stop telling lies.

There are within walking distance several other hotels that offer the same or more for less money.
Room Tip: Don.t get a room that backs onto the i4, if you are a light sleeper. The traffic is constant and noise.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced. Please know we are continually making changes on the property, re-training staff and in general, ensuring our guest have a memorable and positive experience.

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review and I will share your comments with all of our management and staff.
Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

On arrival we was made to feel very welcome but the lovely ladies on reception. Within 10mins we had the keys to our rooms. The room itself was nice and big, with two double beds, air conditioner and a fab view of Hogwarts Castle. Yes the room could of done with a lick of paint here and there but we hardly ever spent any time in the room. Great pool, pool bar and Jacuzzi. We only used the hotels shuttle service a couple of times (we had a car) which was fine.
Overall for the price we paid, the location we would not hesitate to go back to International Palms

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
I am so pleased you would return for another visit. Thank you for mentioning your large room and our excellent pool amenities.

I look forward to your next visit and appreciate your taking the time to write a review.
Newton Mearns, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

The pool in the picture was nice and the kids like it, the hotel also give towels at the pool side unless they've run out. Service wise, I think the staff at the hotel run hot and cold. I was told by another guest that the bar prices went up two fold in July compared to April of the same year, which I thought was unfair and put people off using the bar. The room was fairly comfortable, but the noise was not good as there was a buzzing noise from the fridge which was plugged in to an extension lead with the TV and microwave. The air conditioning was noisy too and the plumbing needs attention as we ourselves diagnosed that there was air in the pipes and this was after the hotel staff sent an 'engineer' to come and look at it and left without taking any action. The bath taps and shower are operated by turning the hot and cold taps on to try and regulate the water temperature, which was difficult to manage. The hotel should consider installing electric showers. The location is a great base for exploring the theme parks and there are lots of very good restaurants and amenities within walking distance.

Room Tip: People's voices echo outside when they give you a room in the tower, so maybe try asking for a r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I appreciate your mentioning our excellent centralized location and apologize for the issues you experienced in your room. I will share your comments with our chief engineer.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

It is a basic but functional base.
The transport to and from the parks is a bit chaotic but they'll get you there and back eventually.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were fine so if your looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a good location stay here but if your looking for something a little more upmarket don't.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
I appreciate your taking the time to write a review and thank you for mentioning our friendly and helpful staff. We take great pride in our customer service and I am pleased you were able to experience that part of our resort.
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Hotel in need of some renovation viewed four rooms before we got one that was adequate. It's a shame because it could be done up nicely. Avoid the tower rooms, feels unsafe and detached from the rest of the hotel

Room Tip: Request poolside room and avoid the tower
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Been to International Palms Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!