“Good Value For Money” 3 of 5 stars
Review of International Palms Resort & Conference Center

You added International Palms Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
International Palms Resort & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6515 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819 (Formerly Holiday Inn Orlando International Drive Resort) (Florida Center)   |
Ranked #234 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Durham, United Kingdom
“Good Value For Money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The first thing I'm going to say is don't let your first impression be your last. Upon arriving in our room we were quite disappointed as the rooms are rather tired and shabby looking, however, after coming back into our room later on, we realised that maybe we'd been a little too quick to judge and our room wasn't that bad at all.
We were in the tower block and our room was a very nice size and nicely clean, our maid was clearly very thourough. We also had a nice view over International Drive, great for watching the thunderstorms!
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the hotel had a nice atmosphere, I'd say for families wanting a value-for-money hotel with plenty for everyone this hotel is ideal.
The lifts were a little slow, although it's easy to see work is being done in this area as while we were there the security of the lifts/stairs were updated which was comforting to know.
One complaint my mam and I did have though was the shuttle service, we thought the times were limited and the taxis were a little unreliable. That being said, I'm not entirely sure how much the hotel actually has to do with the running of this service...
Overall we did enjoy our stay and for what we were wanting (which was somewhere clean to sleep and a good location on a budget) this hotel certainly delivered. The only reason I would perhaps not recommend this hotel is if you're looking for a more luxury hotel.

Room Tip: We'd heard rooms in the tower weren't as nice as in the other buildings, but after seeing a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
I am so happy you reconsidered and actually ended up enjoying your clean room as well as some of our spectacular thunderstorms!

We have been working very diligently on training our staff and obviously it is working. Thank you for mentioning their friendliness and helpfulness.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I hope we have the pleasure of your company in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Turkish first
Stirling, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Like so many others, I was slightly concerned about the negative views about the Palms, but I am very pleased to say that my own experience was a generally pleasant one, in fact my only gripe is that the internet on their computers was very slow as was the elevators. I too had a view of the trees and the interstate and the air conditioning machine looked a bit old but at least it worked. Other guests had more problems than we had but I cannot speak for them However, I have a few concerns about baby alligators being brought into eating areas and an alligator reserve on the premises, I know it's Florida but there are other places for them.
I also agree that external corridors with railings so high up is a safety concern.
Other than that, I would stay there again but would like to try others as well

Room Tip: Try to avoid the tower
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am so pleased you gave us the opportunity to show you how much we appreciate your business. I do want to apologize for the internet issues. They are updating the internet as I write this and hopefully within the next few weeks, it will provide seamless WiFi.
In reference to our exclusive Alligator Alley, this is our small part of helping with Florida's natural habitats. The alligators are brought here either sick, injured or malnourished (I know, it's hard to believer an alligator could be malnourished, but it happens) and they are basically rehabilitated before being released in a reserve throughout various parts of the United Sates.
Not only does it give our guest and staff a clearer understanding of the alligators' environment, it serves as a teaching tool to help educate all of us.
I am pleased you would consider staying with us again and thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We were allocated a room initially that had a few things not working so asked for a room move which we were given quickly and also helped to move our luggage. Room had two comfy double beds, fridge, microwave, TV. Room is in need of a makeover but was fine for the time we were there.
The pool area was great though noticed pool could have been cleaner last week. Alligator Alley was interesting and staff very informative.
Hotel staff very helpful especially the Expedia rep. Hotel shuttle service great to the parks though could have done with slightly later addition from Disney. Hotel close enough to Universal to walk back. Good choice of shops and restaurants nearby and I-ride shop just outside the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
I am pleased we were able to assist with your room move and that it went smoothly. I am also pleased you enjoyed our excellent pool area and the wonderful staff at our exclusive Alligator Alley.

Our resort staff aims to please and I'm happy they were able to prove that to you and your family.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I hope we have the pleasure of your company in the not so distant future.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

On arrival we had to hang around as only one person was on reception (which proved a regular occurrence). Asking for a tower room at the front, facing International Drive, somehow this was interpreted as our wanting a room at the back facing the interstate! Went back to reception and spoke to someone else who was now working and got a nice room at the front straight away. Having stayed here before we were wary that only two elevators out of three were working, as fully operational you can wait ages for one (especially when staff are moving between floors all the time during the day). It wasn't uncommon for crowds waiting to go up to their rooms and some giving up and using the stairs.

Wi-fi is good and the best part of the hotel, the pool area, also has a good signal. For a family orientated area, we were alarmed to see in the Gator enclosure a large gator had a smaller one from the divided adjacent enclosure in its jaws (with bite marks in its feet and head)!

The room cleaning was hit and miss, you never knew what time, or even if someone was going to turn up (we had to ring for towels on occasion). TV's in the tower rooms could do with an uplift, 16:9 flat screens replaced 4:3 CRT's years ago.

The staff you encounter throughout your stay are always very friendly and the hotel is making good efforts to entertain guests with activities.

If you have the resort fee included in your room rate and this is shown on the reservation make sure they acknowledge this when you arrive and insist on having a printed itemized bill when you leave. I found later they had taken it again from my bank account on the day we checked-in.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
I apologize we were not able to arrange for you to have the room you first requested. We make every effort to honor each guest request, but unfortunately it's not always possible.
We are in the process of updating our TV's to flat screens and I also apologize for the billing error.

I am pleased you found the staff friendly and thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review.
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We walked in and the lobby is very nice ... that's where it changes. We were put into a room in the tower ... 12th floor. It's got railings that are only about 3 and a half feet. I have no idea how people haven't gone over. You look WAYYYYY down ... it's open!! The elevators take forever to get to you. We waited 3-4 minutes every time. Carpets are frayed and dirty. The tv are tubes ... the internet is terribly slow. It's not in the best part of town. Nuff said, I'd NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: do NOT let them put you in the tower part. It's worse than an amusement park ride at one of the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. We are in the process of updating our WiFi and replacing the TV's with flat screens among many other updates throughout the year.

I appreciate your taking the time to write a review and will pass your comments along to the appropriate staff members.
Charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

So we just return from a cruise an stop in Orlando to visit we seen the IPR and decided it looked pretty nice and after being in cramped quarters on the ship we were just looking for somewhere nice to relax. We were given a room on the 11th floor in the tower which reminded me of the projects back in New Jersey. Nothing against NJ that's my home but this tower was ridiculous. The room was very dated and not very inviting. Upon leaving the tower after putting our luggage in the room we had to wait over 20 minutes for an elevator they have 3 but they were very old and the buttons were broken. Something told me on the way up that we were going to have problems with the elevator. Immediately when we arrived on the bottom floor I asked to have our room moved to a two level building (a,b,c) and they moved us. We were not going to wait to it getting to the point where we would have to climb 11 floors. We then arrived in the new room in the c building poolside and right by the pool entrance. The air conditioner was super loud had to get the maintenance guy to check it out. He did and was super nice he replaced the whole unit. While he was there I noticed a few drops coming from the ceiling I brought that to his attention and he said he would check it out that it was water coming from the ac unit above. Meanwhile the ac is now very quiet but now we hear the slamming of the pool gate all night long. Needless to say the maintenance guy never checked the leak that was coming from above and by the morning we had 6 leaks coming from the ceiling. We used 2 trash cans,our ice buckets and the cups we were given in the room to collect the drops from the ceiling to keep from further soaking of the floor. I called for the manager to come to the room in the morning because we were supposed to stay 2 days but there was no way I was staying another minute. The front desk was clear that I wanted the hotel but sent the housekeeping manager instead. She looked at the leaks and immediately understood our dilemma she also agreed this was unacceptable and said she would send the GM over. After waiting almost an hour for the GM I called the front desk to see what the hold up was I was transferred to the GM who told me she would not be coming to my room because of an ankle injury. WOW was anyone going to ever tell us?! Anyhow she refunded our money and when we went to the front desk Kathy ,front desk clerk, knew our reason for being there as she was the same person that checked us in. She was so very nice she tried and tried to find us other rooms to move to and we did go and check the rooms out but they were horrible, smelly, stained and again dated. It's hard for me to understand how they could have the nerve to list themselves as a resort when they look like nothing but a cheap motel. I hope anyone that thinks about staying here reads these reviews and takes this into serious consideration. We will never be staying there again!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Port Jefferson Station, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

this hotel is so outdated, there was water damage on the ceiling an was kinda repaired then followed by a crack in the ceiling for the whole lengh of the room and covered up by popcorn ceiling.
bathrooms totally outdated - no window and vent didn't work
pool and hot -tub - a ring around the edge of both at water level I guess is sweat and and left over body debis. - not cleaned

elevators - awful - so old I was so scared herd a banging noise - so decided to take the stairs for the rest of the stay -owe and not vented as well thank god only on the 2nd floor.

restaurant at hotel - no ketchup or maple syrup on the table and its a buffet - ordered coffee and waiter didn't even give me a coffee cup.

parking lot - lighting is terrible

shuttle bus on premises - have to order it 2 days in advance its 1st come 1st serve.

room view - was the dumpsters

I was so discussed with this hotel and would highly recommend not to chose it - so may more hotels on the same street - international dr Orlando fla

I would never recommened anyone staying there

Room Tip: do not book a room at this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
I do apologize for your less than stellar stay and will share your comments with the department heads at the resort.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Been to International Palms Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!