“Middle of the road” 3 of 5 stars
Review of International Palms Resort & Conference Center

You added International Palms Resort & Conference Center to your Saves list
International Palms Resort & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6515 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32819 (Formerly Holiday Inn Orlando International Drive Resort) (Florida Center)   |
Ranked #234 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Middle of the road”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Myself and my friend recently stayed at this hotel for a 2 week break to Florida 2nd-16th June 2014. On first appearance, the hotel is large and has decent kerb side appeal. We were staying in the tower block part of the hotel. The lift access area was quite dark, and only 2 of the 3 lifts were working for the full 2 weeks. No OUT OF ORDER signs were on the lift which was not functioning.
For access to Universal Studios, it was perfect. It was about a 20 minute walk. Also Wet n Wild is just up the road (5 mins) and has restaurants directly opposite the accommodation. The staff on reception were always helpful and friendly. Bus stops located right outside the hotel which will take you to Busch Gardens or all over the local area.

However....

Our main issue with this hotel is the standard of cleanliness. Initially, we checked in and found our room. The room hadn't been cleaned from the previous occupant!!!!! This put a dampner on the holiday to start with as we were tired and just wanted to crash out after a flight from the UK. We called reception and told them, then we went out for a couple of hours (having told the hotel that we would be out and wanted the room sorting in the following hour and a half). We got back and no one had been in the room. We weren't happy. We went to reception and spoke to the manager and insisted on a change of room as we weren't going to go out AGAIN for the cleaners to come and sort the room out.The cleaners seemed to do what they want, when they wanted. There was no consistency with how many towels you received (if any at all some days), the room wasnt hoovered at all over the 2 week stay, they were hesitant to take anything out of the room (eg - we got room service items on our first night. It took 4 days for them to take the plate away. In order to get the message across, we had to resort to leave the plate in the middle of the carpet, in front of the room door!!!!). Also they didnt seem to have a set time of cleaning. We got back a couple of days around 4 or 5pm to get ready for the evening, and the room hadnt been cleaned at all. It became a joke in the end.

Our holiday was perfect, but the hotel was perfectly average.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
I am sorry we did not meet your standards and want to thank you for taking the time to write a review.

All of the items you mentioned will be addressed internally with department heads.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We have recently returned from our annual holiday, and from anywhere in the world we chose the International Palms Resort on International Drive, Orlando, Florida.
We have been twice prior and both times were amazing, staying at the Crown Plaza just off International Drive. We did the full Disney and Universal thing, enjoying two weeks both times of thrills and spills.

But this time was very, very, different?
In the UK we have to book from a brochure. The pages are always glossy, with the atrium always seeming to be the glossiest. But we are not fools? Nowadays with internet availability we are able to check the write ups posted by other travellers, and make a more informed decision on where to stay.
So after looking at various hotels on International drive, we decided on the Island Palms Resort, basing our decision on the amount of positive versus negative reviews, as well as the score given by Trip Advisor to the hotel, and the hotels central location.
Unfortunately after checking in to the hotel, the start of a rather strange comedy started to unfold.
Let me share our experience below, and I think you will understand:

After checking in to the International Palms Resort on International Drive, Orlando Florida. Our experience commenced with having to take our own bags up to our ‘first room’ on the fifth floor, (5082). We opened the door to be met by a very, very fusty smell. Never the less we went in. The room was straight out of the seventies with a very strange checkerboard design brown and browner carpet, with very decorative mahogany effect veneer headboards and terribly worn out beds with the mattress edges sagging badly and the middles touching the floor, with stained bedding that could only be described as ‘used condition’. It also overlooked the busy I4 motorway, and due to the windows being ‘old’ the noise was unbearable, so we asked to be moved to another room facing I-drive?

A Second room was offered in the tower complex (across the parking lot in another building on the 7th floor). But when we opened the door guess what?
You got it, the same again, but as well as the room smelling very fusty, and all of the other things mentioned above, this time when we sat on the beds and we both actually touched the floor with our bottoms, due to the mattresses sagging so badly in the middle???.

So back to reception and onto our Third room that was offered to us, back in the main complex on the fourth floor, and yes once again, there was a very bad smell, but housekeeping said this would be rectified the following day, and as the beds were the best we thought we were going to get, we accepted the room, and we moved in.
But that is when the worst part of our story started?
Firstly, the room smell did not disappear, as housekeeping had promised it would, it smelled very pungent on our return from the theme parks, the following day. We told reception again, and also told them that we were experiencing runny noses, sore eyes and had developed a bit of an annoying cough, they said they would send someone up, but they didn’t, and they didn’t the next day either.
After returning to the hotel the third day, and this time we noticing the carpet was very wet around the air conditioning unit, we called and asked for a manager, who apologised for our inconvenience, and sent a maintenance man up to the room to have a look.
The man knocked on the room door, but as soon as we opened the door, he said (and I quote) "you really need to get out of here, the air conditioning unit is leaking and that is what that smell is, it is very serious to your health. As I am an honest man and talk straight, I need to tell you it is known to cause legionnaire's disease", which as you may well guess shocked the hell out of us.
We contacted the manager immediately and strangely enough even though they said the hotel was fully booked, another room became available???

We moved onto our fourth room (5097) which we did remain in, even though it also smelled fusty, for the remainder of our stay, but under duress.

So you can see, our stay at the International Palms Resort was eventful?
But then to add insult to injury, we hired the hotel run cab company (Town and Country Cars) to take us to the airport, and had pre-booked and agreed a price of $45:00. This was to take us to Sanford international, which I checked at 12:00pm on the day of departure with the lady sat behind the small desk at the hotel check in area, to ensure the booking was confirmed. The lady on duty agreed everything was as agreed and the cab would be on time.

The taxi arrived, and we all boarded, and he set off, but we soon realised he was going the wrong way for Sanford???
We asked him where he was going and he replied, Orlando International. We all looked at him horrified and told him he needed to turn around as we were going to Sanford?
The taxi driver was very abrasive and would not listen to our turn of events, and told us that unless we paid him $95:00 he would take us back to the hotel. Not only that but he turned off I4 and instead of getting straight back on to go north, he proceeded to drive very slowly up I-Drive. We felt very distressed as he was holding us to ransom, giving us no choice but to pay the money.
I asked him to get the booking clerk on the phone and let me talk to her, but he refused and said "if you don't pay you don't go".
We agreed and told him that we were at the end of our holiday, and we did not quite have the $95:00, but could muster up $93:00, and he agreed to this amount.
However, when we reached Sanford, we had to get our own bags out, and the driver became aggressive towards us, as there was only $93:00. We told him he had agreed to this earlier but he said he hadn't and he started becoming aggressive towards us, saying he was going to call the police.
Obviously this frightened us very much, but it made the child in our group cry. We could not understand why he was being so overly aggressive for two dollars???
We told him we did not have anymore, and left him outside, we presume calling the police?

This was a very horrifying end to our holiday experience, which unfortunately started badly with the rooms, but was compounded by the drivers appalling attitude.

I am not saying don't stay here, but be warned, make your decision to stay here carefully, there are other hotels.

The rosen inns and the crown plaza in our opinion are much better.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first, and check the beds and the Air Conditioning. The rooms on I-Drive are qu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay but thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Birkenhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from this decent hotel in Orlando, I have got to say it was a lot better than I was expecting having read the recent reviews, the first room we got given was in A block, room ok apart from the air condition unit was leaking, went straight back to tell them and they quickly changed are room to the fifth floor in D block, much nicer room with modern tv, big fridge and 2 double beds. The only neg I had with the room is that the air con and the fridge made a lot of noise in the night but you do get use to it, towels changed every day and room cleaned most days. Nice heated pool that opened at 7am till 11.30 pm, also they had live alligators just behind the pool, they were in there own pen so nothing to worry about. Pool bar was gud, lounge bar opened at 5.30, which had large screen tv's and the food there was excellent, we ate there several times and very reasonable as well. The hotel provide free transportation to Disney and sea world, but be warned you have to book in advance or you will have to pay $15 each on another shuttle or take a taxi to Disney for $50. We found the hotel to be a perfect location, wet n wild just up the drive and loads of eating places near buy. There is a shop in the hotel but over the road is cheaper by about a $ for most things. Over all we had a great time at the hotel and would defo return, all the staff are very polite and will help you with anything, look forward to going back soon.

• Stayed June 2014
I am so happy you enjoyed yourself and thank you for taking the time to submit a review and point out all the things you took part in.

I am sorry the fridge and ac were noisy and will have our engineering department check into it. All of our guests comments matter to us and I appreciate your sharing.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is the 2nd time that we have stayed at the International Palms Hotel. The 1st time we stayed in the tower, but this time we were nearer the hotel itself. The staff especially Javier and Jordan the barman, couldn't do enough for us, which we really apprieciated. Going back in September to the same hotel so that must tell it's own story.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
I love the story you are telling and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will share your comments with the staff, especially Javier and Jordan.

Looking forward to your return visit.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Before travelling to Orlando I did a lot of reading around this hotel, and to be honest, was a little worried from what I read about the hotel. I emailed Virgin Holidays who I booked the hotel through to shine some light on the reviews I had read and they reassured me that the hotel was not what the negative reviews were making it out to be. The hotel is a little dated, however the rooms are really clean, and there was a daily maid service who replaced the bedding and towels every time. The pool and pool side area are really nice and it is clear there has been a lot of money spend on that area - so well worth an afternoon relaxing there. I go for the optional $7 per day, but this would probably suit you if you planned on spending a lot of time in the hotels bars etc. So all in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, the hotel is in a great location, less than 10 mins to the parks, shopping, nightlife and restaurants - and worry not, if you are a customer of Virgin Holidays and still find issues with this or any other hotel booked through Virgin, you are able to contact the in resort concierge team whom will be glad to assist you in moving rooms, or even to another hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All your positive words are greatly appreciated.

We have been working diligently on a daily basis to improve our resort and your taking the time to make note of this means the world to us.

Thank you again and I hope this means we will see you again with a future reservation.
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

An older hotel, BUT.....I have to say the service was wonderful...from the guest services reps to the barkeep in the pool area as well as housekeeping staff. These folks made our stay wonderful.
Thank you to Hector, Glen, Patrick, Johnny, Mike and Sanya....The pool area was perfect if you did not want to leave the hotel, hot tub and cool pool. They had great breakfasts at the hotel and it was good food. The beds were nice and firm, with good array of pillows. The room was clean. The folks that work here made our stay fun and relaxing. Thanks to all those named above will be back next time we have to be in Orlando.

Room Tip: ask to be upgraded to a king sized bed. They will accommodate if available. Many thanks for the se...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
I am so very pleased you mentioned so many of our staff by name and that your trip turned out to be excellent.

I will share your comments with the staff and thank you for taking the time to write and submit a review.

We look forward to your return visit!
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Believe me, I did all my research and had stayed at a few competing hotels prior to our family stay here. By far this property is the best value and vacation experience that we had in the Orlando area! Everything from the staff, the location, room size and cleanliness and the proximity to major attractions will make this our new "go to" hotel when visiting next time. The kids loved the spacious pool deck and they even have an alligator exhibit right there! The food was great and we also enjoyed the Tiki bar poolside. In short, everything we needed was right there. When you can please both the older and younger kids at the same time it' a no brainer! Thanks International Palms for a terrific stay! See you in August when we come back!

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly for the best rate.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vicky P, Manager at International Palms Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
No, thank you. I am so pleased we scored 100% with you and your family.

Looking forward to your return trip in August!!!!

Been to International Palms Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!